Store || Gallery
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick
Picture of the Day
Photo of the day 11/01/14
Today (0)
Photo of the day 10/31/14
Yesterday (0)

How to solder Flexible LED strips together (in line)?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:43 am

Hey all,

This is my first attempt at adding lighting to my ride, so I'm in need of some help.

I have to string 2 flexible LED strips (http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips) end to end, so need to solder the wires of the one farthest from the battery to the end of the one closest to the battery (the closest one has a sealed end).

Do I trim off the end off the close one to expose the + and - parts of the orange wire strip? If so, how do I tell which is pos and which is neg? Is there a diagram or something here somewhere? Can I waterproof it?

Thanks for any help.

-Mike
Aken

Post Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:33 pm

It's a big PITA to re-solder anything onto the flexible LED strips. That's why the wires are already there coming out of the housing.

Why can't you just add some wire to the flex strip and run it to the same source?
md in lv

Post Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:50 pm

Aken,
I was afraid you'd say that. The trouble is that I need a foot of waterproof LED ribbon farthest from battery (because of clearance issues), then 3 feet of flexible LED, all in line. I was hoping to solder them together so I didn't have to run a separate set of wires from the ribbon, along the flexible LED, to the battery. Is it tough keeping the soldered area waterproof once you cut the far end of the flexible LED strip?
-md in lv[/img]
Aken

Post Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:27 pm

I don't think waterproofing would be an issue, as you could just glob some silicone onto it. The problem is actually getting it soldered in the first place. Not exactly user-friendly like the ribbon strip.

Let us know how it goes, though. I'm sure other users would appreciate your opinions on how easy it was, any pictures, etc.
Focal Fury

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:52 am

The easiest way to wire a Flexible type of LED Strip would be to use our Waterproof LED Ribbon Strip, these are able to be wired in series and cut every 3 inches and re-used after being cut.
http://www.oznium.com/thin-waterproof-ribbon
The time now is Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:48 am
Page 1 of 1