Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Where do YOU go to look up your state lighting laws ?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:15 pm

Is there a definitive website for looking up the codes in various states ? I see alot of people with questions about their states codes and I'm one of them again now that I'm moving from California to Nevada, where I know nothing about the laws . Obviously each state has their vehicle codes online through their DMV's website, but I usually find it impossible to sort through the junk to actually find what I'm looking for . Where do you go for your info ? Maybe my best bet would be to look up some custom body/audio installers in the Nevada directory and give them a call for advice ? icon_confused.gif
alerored2000

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:20 pm

you could probally find a state patrol barrick and go there and ask them if they can look up the state law for you, but local laws may vary from the state...
audio_excessories

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:02 pm

The Vehicle code is always the best place to look....get a drink, have a seat, and sift away....

alerored2000 wrote:
you could probally find a state patrol barrick and go there and ask them if they can look up the state law for you, but local laws may vary from the state...

You got it, local laws OFTEN vary from the state laws. When pulled over in a certain locality, just trying to use the vehicle code is likely to get you a ticket as local laws trump state laws in most situations.
Rags

Post Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:52 am

i just talk to cops when they pull me over.
so that way if i get a ticket for speeding or tint from officer 1 and he pulls me over again for "lighting" i can bring up that instance where i discussed it with him
or i can use his name specifically in defense of a lighting violation.
however i dont have tint or neons anymore
slimsdizz

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:36 pm

you can go to the NHTSA website also going to SEMA website will give you info on recently won legal battles with the states. or you can try your states DOT or department of transpertation if you run neons in all states I know blue is illegal I think red might also be as well. If you are parked then you can cut it on and you shouldn't have a problem.

As far as HID go if it didn't come stock with it then currently they are illegal. you can however run HID's in a projector foglight which they are not hard to retrofit into a foglight. i use that high temp gasket rubber for the bulb. and then open the fromt of the foglight and take out the metal light beam reducer. this should give you all the light you need. Hide the balasts behind the bumper or in a wheels well and you will be good to go. I run halogens and HId's high wattage narvas or osram or philips heck you can get narva bulbs in H4 size that go up to 130 watts and they are dot approved I find mixing the hid and halogen light is extremely benifical at high speed driving also the hid in an ionized projector foglight the 4-6000k bulbs throw out some nice yellow light wihout having to spend the extra money on special ordering 3000k bulbs. Now I just need to se how long these flowligting bulbs last that going to be the real test. As far as the law is concerned if they cannot see the balasts you alot more likely to get away with it.
Glowin97x

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:25 pm

westlaw icon_cool.gif
The time now is Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:16 pm
Page 1 of 1