Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Can wire be too big?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:50 am

I bought an amp from a friend and then i bought an amp kit and installed it all and everything is hooked up. The only problem is...the amp won't turn on. The wire is a 5 ga. and the amp is 600 watts. I checked the fuse and it isn't blown so I'm not sure what the problem is. I know it worked b/c it was his old one and i bought it from him while he was switching amps. Any ideas?
Aken

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:26 pm

The only way the wire would be too big is if it didn't fit in the amp. If it fit, you're fine.

Double check the fuse anyway - I know I've had blown fuses that when I just eyeballed them, they looked fine.

Also check your power and ground wires - make sure they are in the correct spots on the amp (I've made that mistake, lol), and make sure they have good solid connections everywhere. Definitely make sure the ground is on a GOOD ground, and not kinda attached, on top of paint, etc etc.
Icedoutjetta

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:16 pm

it doesnt matter if the wire is bigger then needed, but as aken said check the fuse again, i had an agu fuse that looked good but it was burnt behind the end caps and not noticable without removal, also check that your remote wire is connected correctly, ive had mine get pinched under the carpet and then it blew my deck fuse and i had to replace it
azlesk8er

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:06 pm

The wire fits but...maybe one of the fuses is too big/small? For the fuse that is in the wire its 100A and the fuse in the amp itself is 20A. I'm pretty sure the ground is ok, I scratched off some paint and put it on an already existent screw.
GlowinPontiac

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:38 pm

the only way wire could be too big is if it was so big it weighed your car down till it wouldnt move.

are you sure the amp is good? perhaps your friend unloaded a blown amp on ya.
Cooper

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:56 pm

A 100 amp fuse on a 5 gauge wire would sort of be overkill considering the amp you have but its not bad in any way . Are you sure its a 5 ga wire ? That's an unusual size .
To check if its truly toast or not, disconnect all the wires from the amplifier . Then take up it up front next to your battery and connect just three wires . terminal on the amp to the terminal of your battery, - terminal on the amp to the - terminal on your battery, and another thin wire from the terminal on the battery to the "remote turn on" terminal on the amplifier . If you connect these wires as above and the amp still fails to turn on, its not going to . It needs a repair for whatever reason . If it does turn on then you know the amp itself is good (or at least turns on) and the problem was with the wiring somewhere .
Hook it up this way with nice short wires directly off the battery where you can clearly see the full length of the wire so you can be sure there's no shorts, pinches, etc .

Oh, also if the fuse on the amp itself is blown then the amp still won't turn on when you hook it up that way, in which case you might falsely assume you have a bad amp . But other than that the test is sound .
Cooper

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:57 pm

Cooper wrote:
A 100 amp fuse on a 5 gauge wire would sort of be overkill considering the amp you have but its not bad in any way . Are you sure its a 5 ga wire ? That's an unusual size .
To check if its truly toast or not, disconnect all the wires from the amplifier . Then take up it up front next to your battery and connect just three wires . + terminal on the amp to the + terminal of your battery, - terminal on the amp to the - terminal on your battery, and another thin wire from the + terminal on the battery to the "remote turn on" terminal on the amplifier . If you connect these wires as above and the amp still fails to turn on, its not going to . It needs a repair for whatever reason . If it does turn on then you know the amp itself is good (or at least turns on) and the problem was with the wiring somewhere .
Hook it up this way with nice short wires directly off the battery where you can clearly see the full length of the wire so you can be sure there's no shorts, pinches, etc .

Oh, also if the fuse on the amp itself is blown then the amp still won't turn on when you hook it up that way, in which case you might falsely assume you have a bad amp . But other than that the test is sound .
Cooper

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:58 pm

Off topic, has anyone else noticed that when you use the plus symbol in a reply its often left out when you hit submit ? I had to edit those back in three times before they stuck .
azlesk8er

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:20 pm

Cooper wrote:
To check if its truly toast or not, disconnect all the wires from the amplifier . Then take up it up front next to your battery and connect just three wires . terminal on the amp to the terminal of your battery, - terminal on the amp to the - terminal on your battery, and another thin wire from the terminal on the battery to the "remote turn on" terminal on the amplifier . If you connect these wires as above and the amp still fails to turn on, its not going to . It needs a repair for whatever reason . If it does turn on then you know the amp itself is good (or at least turns on) and the problem was with the wiring somewhere .

Thank you I'll try that right now...I guess it must be the remote wire then b/c i saw it working...and I've been told i didnt need the remote wire for the amp so i never wired it in...guess they were wrong huh? Thanks for the help guys.
GlowinPontiac

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:32 pm

yeah....you def need the remote wire. the amp WILL NOT turn on without it.
HappyHourHemi

Post Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:22 pm

Yeah you have to have the remote line hooked up. If you want to check the amp without running the line first just use a jumper wire to connet your power wire to the remote terminal on the amp. This will turn the amp on. DO NOT USE THIS AS A PERMANENT THING!! Just use it to test the amp.
GlowinPontiac

Post Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:47 pm

lol when i was a car stereo n00b i did just that and jumped the postitive wire to the remote permanently.

the next day i couldnt figure out why i had a dead battery icon_cool.gif
The time now is Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:34 pm
Page 1 of 1