Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

LEDs on a Perf. Board

Author
Message
Tim

Joined: Nov 16 2003
Posts: 10795
Location: Kalamazoo, MI


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:24 pm

I'm thinking about picking up some Superflux LEDs from Phil and put them on one of those boards and somehow mount them, kinda like a Flood or a Gem but without a million colors. What kind of materials am I looking for for this project?
josh9015

Joined: Sep 05 2003
Posts: 2256
Location: Melbourne, Florida


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:41 pm

justa perf board. The prongs on the superflux fit right into the holes When you solder them they stay put.
corvettecrazy

Joined: Dec 17 2003
Posts: 4357
Location: moved (twice)


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:55 pm

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/corvettecrazy/LED/

ask away (no they are not from phil)
CrashKing

Joined: Jan 05 2006
Posts: 232
Location: Orlando, FL


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:12 pm

corvettecrazy wrote:
http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/corvettecrazy/LED/

ask away (no they are not from phil)



what did you do about dimming the tailights? pwm?... it looks great.... just like oem
corvettecrazy

Joined: Dec 17 2003
Posts: 4357
Location: moved (twice)


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:02 pm

if/when I finish the TL project I will use a PWM or two

The 3rd brake light I use a voltage regulator to regulate the voltage/brightness. The 3rd has been installed for almost a year now. I think I have made 3-5 of them, and each one gets better. The one on that site is the first design.

Thanks for the compliment.
CrashKing

Joined: Jan 05 2006
Posts: 232
Location: Orlando, FL


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:34 pm

corvettecrazy wrote:
if/when I finish the TL project I will use a PWM or two

The 3rd brake light I use a voltage regulator to regulate the voltage/brightness. The 3rd has been installed for almost a year now. I think I have made 3-5 of them, and each one gets better. The one on that site is the first design.

Thanks for the compliment.



how does each one get better than the first?

the 3rd brake light would be kinda easy to do... it's either on or it's off

i'm around cars all the time where i work and have seen quite a few led tailights... all you would need is little reflective cones to go over the leds and it would be the icing on the cake...


i have a similar project(that has yet to be started).... to convert my tailights/reverse lights/turnsignals to leds.... the trick is that my truck uses the tailights as turnsignals so i have red turn signals.... however i would rather have red brake lights, amber turnsignals and white reverse lights.... won't be hard to do... just time consuming and i need to get a wiring diagram for my truck...
GlowinPontiac

Joined: Mar 04 2004
Posts: 5959
Location: Central CT


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:35 pm

go to www.allelectronics.com and get some perf boards.

they even have kits so you can make your own custom board by printing out the pattern on a computer then etching the copper plated board.
corvettecrazy

Joined: Dec 17 2003
Posts: 4357
Location: moved (twice)


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:42 pm

I got my boards from digikey.

But there are TONS of places you can get them online
Tim

Joined: Nov 16 2003
Posts: 10795
Location: Kalamazoo, MI


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:08 am

I see that you have some wires going from some of the solder points. Do I have to have any wires at all, except the two main power and ground? I'm just confused on how you connect, say a line of 3 LEDs. Just run a line of solder connecting each positive lead and the same for the negative leads?

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/corvettecrazy/LED/?start=#imgAnch20

Do I really need all those wires there or could I get away with just haveing two wires, and -.
corvettecrazy

Joined: Dec 17 2003
Posts: 4357
Location: moved (twice)


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:51 am

Tim wrote:
I see that you have some wires going from some of the solder points. Do I have to have any wires at all, except the two main power and ground? I'm just confused on how you connect, say a line of 3 LEDs. Just run a line of solder connecting each positive lead and the same for the negative leads?

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/corvettecrazy/LED/?start=#imgAnch20

Do I really need all those wires there or could I get away with just haveing two wires, and -.


maybe this picture will give you a better understanding of how they are wired.

User posted image

The board is all series of 4 LED's. so all the big wires along the top are just the positive and negative for each series. The jumper wires on the bottom are just so I can continue the series. You really dont need all the wires along the top, they could (and are) grouped into one, they just come together outside of the pictured area. You could run a jumper from all the positives and negatives on the series so it is just one wire comming off the board.
Tim

Joined: Nov 16 2003
Posts: 10795
Location: Kalamazoo, MI


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:01 am

I'm really confused why you have that wire going from positive to negative. I guess I'll just have to get some board and LEDs and try it for myself.

Do you use a gun or iron?
corvettecrazy

Joined: Dec 17 2003
Posts: 4357
Location: moved (twice)


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:58 am

Tim wrote:
I'm really confused why you have that wire going from positive to negative. I guess I'll just have to get some board and LEDs and try it for myself.

Do you use a gun or iron?


its exactly like this

User posted image

except there are 2 positive and negative per led. They are just done in series. With multiple series on the board

I used the cheapest pos iron I have ever seen.
alienyoungjr

Joined: Apr 30 2004
Posts: 4654
Location: Texas


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:46 am

Oh like this!
(Click to Enlarge)

Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Joined: Feb 11 2003
Posts: 7719


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:49 am

thats dope alienyoungjr
corvettecrazy

Joined: Dec 17 2003
Posts: 4357
Location: moved (twice)


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:54 am

alienyoungjr wrote:
Oh like this!


take a picture of the back side, i am interested as to how you wired it
alienyoungjr

Joined: Apr 30 2004
Posts: 4654
Location: Texas


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:54 am

I didn't have enough perf board to add a "Y" at the end.
CrashKing

Joined: Jan 05 2006
Posts: 232
Location: Orlando, FL


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:21 pm

corvettecrazy wrote:
Tim wrote:
I see that you have some wires going from some of the solder points. Do I have to have any wires at all, except the two main power and ground? I'm just confused on how you connect, say a line of 3 LEDs. Just run a line of solder connecting each positive lead and the same for the negative leads?

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/corvettecrazy/LED/?start=#imgAnch20

Do I really need all those wires there or could I get away with just haveing two wires, and -.


maybe this picture will give you a better understanding of how they are wired.

User posted image

The board is all series of 4 LED's. so all the big wires along the top are just the positive and negative for each series. The jumper wires on the bottom are just so I can continue the series. You really dont need all the wires along the top, they could (and are) grouped into one, they just come together outside of the pictured area. You could run a jumper from all the positives and negatives on the series so it is just one wire comming off the board.


when you first posted this picture i looked at it and couldn't figure what the heck was going on here... but after reading and understanding the superfluxes a bit more in another thread i finally figured out how the current flowed from the 12v source through the + and - on the board and the back out to ground....

just thought i would let you know it was a bit confusing for others icon_smile.gif
corvettecrazy

Joined: Dec 17 2003
Posts: 4357
Location: moved (twice)


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:57 pm

sorry for the confusion.
CrashKing

Joined: Jan 05 2006
Posts: 232
Location: Orlando, FL


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:56 pm

corvettecrazy wrote:
sorry for the confusion.


lol no worries... i'm happy i finally understood how it was done
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:24 am
Page 1 of 1