Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Cathode Wiring diagram

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:49 pm

I've been reading a bit of stuff in here and I just wanted to clarify if this wiring would work. I'm thinking of doing 6 cathode connections. Would 5amp fuse suffice? And I'm thinking of fusing them up at the fuse box under my dash, but not certain about grounding. Could I make a connection on these screw locations? Also, does anyone know how to map the connection so that I can have it hooked up to the dome light.
I like the cathodes to light up when I open the door or manually switch them from the dome light switch. Btw, I drive a 92 civic.

User posted image

User posted image
Aken

Post Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:43 am

A five amp will work fine, yes.

You can use your fuse panel on the dash, yes. I would not recommend installing more lights beyond that on the fuse panel. Keep lights attached to your stock fuse panel at a minimum.

To wire it along with your dome light, you just need to use a multimeter to find the necessary wires controlled by opening the door, and tap into them, preferrably using a relay.
GlowinPontiac

Post Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:24 am

if your stock domelight dims then you will need to use a relay to keep the voltage drop during dimming from killing the transformers.
harnette74

Post Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:03 am

Aken: So it's ok to have all 6 cathodes fused on the one empty fuse slot? How do I look for the wires that are controlled by opening the door? Once I have a multimeter, where do I look and what am I looking for? On the fuse panel? Sorry, I'm very new to this...
audio_excessories

Post Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:17 am

Whenever I wired some cathodes up to go on with the opening of a door, I used the wires from the OEM footwell lamps to trigger a relay, which in turn allows power to get to the cathodes....so Id say use the multimeter to check and see which wire on your stock footwell lamps is Positive and which is negative .... after you've done that all you need to know is which one is always on, and which is switched....I know in all MY cars the dome lights, and foot lamps are ground switched.
3xtreme07

Post Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:56 am

ok when i connect the ground wires from the transformer to the main ground, should i use the scotch locks. not sure how to tap into the wire.
harnette74

Post Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:13 pm

audio_excessories wrote:
Whenever I wired some cathodes up to go on with the opening of a door, I used the wires from the OEM footwell lamps to trigger a relay, which in turn allows power to get to the cathodes....so Id say use the multimeter to check and see which wire on your stock footwell lamps is Positive and which is negative .... after you've done that all you need to know is which one is always on, and which is switched....I know in all MY cars the dome lights, and foot lamps are ground switched.

OEM footwell lamps? Could you elaborate please? I don't think there's any footwell lamp on my civic?
GlowinPontiac

Post Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:20 pm

look under the dash and see if there are any lights that come on with the doors open and illumintae the area around your feet.

if you dont have them try to find the pin switch on the door jambs and follow the wires from it until you find somewhere you can tap into.
Chazz

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:18 pm

i am doing the same kinda thing but im planning on use LEDs from the switch on the door. the LEDs are gonna be placed in the trim near the carpet so that when the doors are opened the LEDs light up the hole car inside
ImagoX

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:00 pm

Chazz wrote:
i am doing the same kinda thing but im planning on use LEDs from the switch on the door. the LEDs are gonna be placed in the trim near the carpet so that when the doors are opened the LEDs light up the hole car inside

That's what I did with my LEDs and cathodes. If you have dimming interior lights you MUST use a relay or the dimming voltage will damage the transformer, but they're cheap. All of my cabin lighting is hooked to existing OEM white lights instead of switches, and since the LEDs and cathodes draw less current than the white lamps they replace, I didn't have to worry about upping my fuses or anything.

User posted image
Chazz

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:42 pm

my intertor light does not dim so i dont have to worry about a relay
The time now is Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:10 pm
Page 1 of 1