Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

help needed LED lights

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Hello
I am trying to make up some LED tail light with stop light's for one of my maverick what i need is a wiring diagram for LED lights with stop and tail lights

thanks for your help
jay

p.s with 8, 10, or 12 LED per lights
78_towncar_460

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:46 pm

Hi--

I'm doing the same project on my Buick Electra... There are quite a few things you should probably do in researching the project, but I'll just answer what you asked.

The wiring is simple, two positive wires, and a negative for each LED. The blinker and stop light need to have the full power applied to them, (probably about 3 volts or so). The running lights that illuminate when your light switched is moved to the one position don't need full power, you need a pulse width modulator or resistor or voltage regulator, to keep the brightness down, or else there would be no difference between the blinker and brake light, and the running light. The blinkers really need to be about 3 or 4 times brighter.

Is that it or were you looking for, or were you looking for a factory wiring diagram for your current lighting/signal system on your vehicle?
mavdog71

Post Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:04 pm

The wiring for the car is no problem . What i need is the diagram for the light . The supply house that close to me has two types of LED one is small and not as bright and the other one larger and brighter . ? In the light should i use two differant circuit one for tail light and one for stop lights

thx jay
78_towncar_460

Post Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:39 pm

There are 3 functions of the rear signal lights.

1.) Illumination at all times when your headlights are on, or when your "running lights" are on. This is at a dimmed state. If your tail lights use an 1157 bulb, there are two filaments inside of it. One is bright, the other is about a third of that brightness.

2.) Brake lighting, which needs to be very brights.

3.) Turn lighting, which is the same as the brake light except activated not by the brake light switch but by the turn signal cam on your steering column. Also you need to wire your hazard lights into the circuit.

You have many different options available to you. You can create different circuits, which would be more complex, by using many different LEDs. Some for braking, and some for standard illumination.

OR

You can buy the brightest LED you can find and wire a pulse width modulator, or a different kind of voltage regulator to dim the current on one set of wires going to each LED. You would have 3 wires for each LED

1 for full power coming from your battery going from a 12v source to the positive lead on the LED (you still need resistors on each LED since most are about 2-4 volts) This wire would control the braking and turn signals and hazard lights. These switches would be wired in parallel, meaning they could both control the full power mode on the LED.

The second wire would also run to the positive from a 12v source, only in this circuit, you would include your pulse width modulator, which would control the amount of current going to your LEDs which would make them dimmer. This wire would be controlled via your headlight switch.

The third wire is a ground wire, which is bolted down to some piece of metal on the car.

There are many different types of LEDs. You will need a lot of them to produce the right effect. I was told by corvettecrazy on this forum that lumileds are the most popular for automakers. You could also buy superflux LEDs from oznium. 5mm LEDs would also work, but it would take more time because they are not as bright.

I can't give you a diagram for the light because you haven't given very much info.
mavdog71

Post Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:08 pm

78 towncar 460
My maverick has the same tail light configration as your towncar . At the tail light i have one 1157 bulb with two wires ( one is tail light the other is turn / stop / hazard with chassie ground ) the turn stop hazard run throught the turn signel switch . So what i would like to due is to build a board with LED on it as and insert for the tail light assembly to install behind the tail light lense .If you need any more info. let my know . Thank for all your held JAY
78_towncar_460

Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:36 pm

This is not exactly how your wiring would look when completed.

User posted image

That is what a diagram would look like. You will of course, have more than one LED, and you would need a different resistor configuration. I haven't done my project yet so I don't know what you would need, but if you feed 12-14v through the resistor and to the LED you would get full brightness, if you run through the pulse width modulator and then through the resistor you might have some trouble.

What you could do, (differing from the picture) is to wire the resistor into the turn/hazard/brake wire and then just use the PVM to control the output.
mavdog71

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:38 pm

tc 460
thanks for the diagram . Where can i pick up one of the PVM and is there a specail type of PVM to buy . The resistor value will depend on the number of LED i use ?
thanks for your help JAY
78_towncar_460

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:14 pm

Each LED needs a resistor...Is this going into a bike? You might just want to use seperate LEDs for braking and running lights, since you wont need as many as you would in a car's tail light lens.

The PWM type might depend on how many LEDs you are going to use and what type of voltage they are. All it is doing is switching on and off rapidly, with the voltage being in a square wave signal. You will need to do some basic electrical math for this.
The time now is Thu May 24, 2018 4:59 am
Page 1 of 1