Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

fog/driving lights

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:23 pm

can someone (hint hint PTcruzr) make a diagram for wiring a set of fog/driving lights so they turn on when the parking lights are on? thanx
shaund912

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:10 pm

You can use one spdt (5 pin) relay. Run a wire from the positive switched wire at one of the parking lights to pin 86. Hook pin 85 to ground. Hook pin 30 to the two fog lights and pin 87 to 12v. This will make the fog lights turn on with the parking lights and they will stay on when both dim and bright lights are on.

pin 85 -- ground
pin 86 -- positive parking light
pin 87 -- 12v
pin 30 -- fog lights

If you would like to make them turn on with the parking lights but turn off when the brights are on (like most factory fog lights) you could do that by adding another relay before the one above. It would be like this

RELAY 1
pin 85 -- ground
pin 86 -- bright light wire
pin 87a -- run to pin 87 of second relay
pin 30 -- 12v

RELAY 2
pin 85 -- ground
pin 86 -- positive parking light wire
pin 87 -- pin 87a of relay 1
pin 30 -- fog light

It's possible to do this with just one relay, but the fog lights would use some of the power from the headlights. It's possible that it may actually make the headlights dimmer. Also the first diagram up top could be done without relays but it could produce the same results just mentioned. Relays are usually the better safer way to go.

Of course in both cases above you just ground the other wire of the fog lights.

Post a reply if you need any more help.
Shaun
joshmxpx

Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:21 pm

where do you get spdt?
shaund912

Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:53 am

You can usually find them at radio shack. They will be the relays with 5 pins. You can also order them from parts express. This is the cheapest place to get them. I usually order 30 - 40 at a time. The only downfall to parts express is that they have a $25 minimum order. They are less than a dollar at parts express while they would be around $5 from radio shack or a stereo shop. If you only wanted a couple I could send you some. I could even prewire them if you have a specific application or trick that you would like to do. If you have any ideas or whatever just let me know.
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 6:06 pm
Page 1 of 1