Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Any plans for Oznium to carry EL wire?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:58 pm

I'm planning to do some things with Electroluminescent wire and was curious if Oznium was planning on carrying it. I'm happy with this place and would rather buy it here (and probably cheaper than other places too).
Cooper

Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:07 pm

I second this . I've been considering adding a few accents of EL wire . Not certain by any means, but the interest is definately there .
GlowinPontiac

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:37 pm

if you do use any el wire dont use krazy glue to install it. use silicone so if you change your mind you can remove it without wrecking whatever its attached to.
Cooper

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:15 pm

I was thinking about lining the seams of the seats with them . I'm not a big fan of the way EL wire looks on dashboards but there's no other way to accent the seat area that I can think of . I thought of just sewing them to the seats either with a few loops of black thread in the critical areas, or with some fishing line, whichever looked better .
Ryan88

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:23 pm

Hell with EL wire. I only used it with super glue, that may be why. But it's a pain in the ass.
GlowinPontiac

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:50 pm

fishing line works good on seats. i did the seat on my old glow scooter that way.
oldskoolhonda

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:08 am

how bright is this EL wire compared to say, cc's?
Chris

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:17 am

VERYYYYYYYY dim compared to cathodes. Ill throw some pictures of my room speaker with it when i get home from work.
oldskoolhonda

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:18 am

ok thanks, so they would be more of use in like a headliner use...
schudini

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:41 pm

oldskoolhonda wrote:
how bright is this EL wire compared to say, cc's?

El wire is great for places that are in direct view (it won't hurt your eyes to look at it; some people put it around the dashboard). Not great for lighting up dark areas, but very flexable and very small diameter.
Cyber Knight

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:14 am

EL wire is a very nice product to work with IMO, it's very small and versatile. The only problem is adhering it to a surface, or getting it to stay some other way. I always wedged it between gaps and it held in place nicely, but then if I ever needed to take the part out that was holding it in I'd have to rerun it afterwards. The silicone idea sounds like the best solution. Below are pics of when I had mine installed to give you an idea of the brightness. You can also get which I think would make for good courtesy light strips or something.

oldskoolhonda

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:13 am

what type of on/off switch or how does it gets power, hows it hook up? and does it come with the stuff to hook it up or is that seperate?
Knox

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:22 am

I used to have EL wire under plexiglass as my headliner and it was a nice little accent. It's nothing like a cathode in brightness, but looks good just as an accent light for the interior.

And for oldskoolhonda's question: it's got a transformer at the end that you'll have to hide. You can use any on/off switch you want to install (I had mine tied into the dome light). As for the stuff to hook it up, I'm not 100% sure what you mean. It's got a positive and negative wire running of the transformer if that's what you mean? Or do you mean adhesive-wise?
oldskoolhonda

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:54 am

i ment like did it have a transformer that you had to buy seperate or somthing, but thanks for the info, do you have any good places to buy from? or do you have any laying around i could pick up?
Knox

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Personally, I just got it at Autozone. That was about 3 years ago though. icon_lol.gif
GlowinPontiac

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:35 pm

svc.com has it cheap from time to time.
Cyber Knight

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:46 pm

Wal-Mart sells some in limited colors. I got mine from streetglow.com about 4 years ago.
Q45guy

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:32 pm

The only thing that I don't like about el-wire is that they aren't clear when they are turned off. A long time ago SG made el-wire that was clear when deactivated. Nowadays, it just looks gawdy durring the day with a colored wire weaving around your dash.
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 8:49 am
Page 1 of 1