Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Wiring LED strip to car audio amplifier?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:25 pm

can i wire my 4.7inch strip into my Amp????? By putting the negative on the negative and the positie on the remote wire??
FREAK

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:30 pm

Just hook it up like you regularly would. Since the amp is already hooked up to the radio with the remote wire it'll only pulse with the bass.
steven_mckenz

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:32 pm

Yes, you can, but the issue with that is you will begin to start drawing too much current from the remote wire output on your HU. It's not too big of a deal for a small chain of LEDs, but once you start hooking up too many things to your remote wire from your HU, you're bound to cause problems, and possibly even burn up your HU.

I just checked Phil's description of the LED strip, but it doesn't say its amperage.

Your best bet would be to run a simple relay. You could tap into the main power wire going to your amp, and run a relay. This then gives you the ability to run a bunch of lights off of your HU, without hardly drawing any power from it. The relay will have 5 prongs, but you will use four. One will connect to your amp power wire, for constant power. This is where it will draw the power to run your relayed electronics. One will connect to your amp ground. One will connect to your HU wire, as a power selected source, and then one will connect to all your electronics that you want run off of the amp power wire, only while the HU remote wire is hot.
steven_mckenz

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:34 pm

FREAK wrote:
Just hook it up like you regularly would. Since the amp is already hooked up to the radio with the remote wire it'll only pulse with the bass.

Please, please please please please do not give advice unless you know what you are talking about.

The only way the LED strip would pulse with the bass, would be if you had it hooked up to the speaker output of your amp. However, that power is AC, whereas your LED strip runs off of DC. It may actually work and pulse for a SHORT while, but then it will burn out very quickly, or just not work at all.

The remote wire from the HU does NOT give a "bass" signal. It only gives an on/off signal, telling the amp whether or not to turn itself on, or off. It has NOTHING to do with the "sound" coming from it.
Customizer22

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:40 pm

thanks for your help Steven_mckenz
steven_mckenz

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:41 pm

np
clutch1

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:11 pm

I had some lights in my trunk and I wired them into the constant power (From the battery) and of course the main ground, then had a switch on that main power.
It worked like a charm, go for it!
Aken

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:21 pm

clutch1 wrote:
I had some lights in my trunk and I wired them into the constant power (From the battery) and of course the main ground, then had a switch on that main power.

That's how almost every light should be wired, lol.
steven_mckenz

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:22 pm

Agreed
Tim

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:53 pm

lol, the blind leading the blind.
steven_mckenz

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:01 pm

Tim wrote:
lol, the blind leading the blind.
icon_cool.gif
clutch1

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:22 pm

Aken wrote:
clutch1 wrote:

That's how almost every light should be wired, lol.

Yea, you're right, haha, that was a bit redundant by me . The only diffenence was these were clamped in the little screw ports of the amp.
icon_lol.gif
ImagoX

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:18 am

If the goal is to hook the LEDs up such that they "pulse" with the audio, aren't there sound control modules that are specifically designed to do just that? If so, I'd assume that such a device would be safe for 12v appliances that can handle dimming/undervoltage (like LEDs). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I can swear I saw something like that not long ago...
Aken

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:24 am

You could just get a music interface, like the one sold on Oznium.
GlowinPontiac

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:29 am

it never fails to amaze me how many people think that they can power lights and stuff off of speaker wires icon_rolleyes.gif
ImagoX

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:37 am

That just doesn't seem like something that would be a good idea, no.

The music interface... Yeah, that must be what I was thinking of. I've never used one, personally, but I've seen plenty of cars at shows with lights that pulsed along with music...
Spkrman

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:23 am

GlowinPontiac wrote:
it never fails to amaze me how many people think that they can power lights and stuff off of speaker wires icon_rolleyes.gif

you thinking that you cant amazes me more icon_cool.gif

if you want the lights to come on when the amp is on, relay on the remote wire and get your ground wherever.

if you want to pulsate to the music... one of those nifty music interfaces icon_smile.gif
alienyoungjr

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:49 am

Spkrman wrote:
GlowinPontiac wrote:

I dont think he wa talking about the remote wire or the power/ground wires. I think he was talking about the wires that go between the amp and the speakers.
Spkrman

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:28 pm

alienyoungjr wrote:
Spkrman wrote:
GlowinPontiac wrote:

I dont think he wa talking about the remote wire or the power/ground wires. I think he was talking about the wires that go between the amp and the speakers.

ahhhh

well now that would amaze me more than everything else icon_cool.gif
The time now is Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:35 pm
Page 1 of 1