Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

translate?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:17 pm

Any lighted lamp or illuminated device upon a motor vehicle other than head lamps, spot lamps, auxiliary lamps or flashing front direction signals which projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than 300 candlepower shall be so directed that no part of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.

(2) No person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device thereon displaying a red light visible from directly in front of the center thereof. This section shall not apply to authorized emergency vehicles.
alienyoungjr

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:24 pm

pretty much you can't have any red light in the front of the vehicle. You can't have any light that has patterns, because tehy can be taken as emergency vehicle lighting and you aren't authorized to use them.

Any light that produces 300 candlepower can not be aimed so that it projects beyond 75 feet in front of the vehicle.

I think that about translate it.
Voltage

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:25 pm

If I'm translating right....it says that no light of any kind other then your headlights, foglights, taillights, etc can be over 300 candlepower or can strike a beam on a vehicle more then 75 feet away.

The second part says that nobody can have a red light in there vehicle. Even though it says you can't have it in a certain place, I would steer clear of red anyway. Also you should shy away from blue being seen as well.

In order to always be safe, I either don't have my glow on while in motion, or if I do its the stuff that can't be seen from outside the vehicle. Then again in Virginia you aren't supposed to have any lights on whatsoever except standard headlights and stuff while the vehicle is in motion.

Virginia law even says that any UB kits or anything can not be installed on your car unless a proper shield has been placed over them, and it specifically says that the car DOES NOT count as a shield.

But you're in Alabama...so why am I saying all that lol.
SE1289

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:25 pm

lol....

so...how much is 300 candle power
Voltage

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:49 pm

That is a harder question to answer then you think.

Candlepower was labeled as an "archaic" form of measuring light as of circa. 1950. The Candela was the unit that replaced candlepower, with 1 candlepower= 0.982 Candela. In order to get to Lumens you need to use this formula l= 4pi x cd.

with l= lumens
pi=3.14159
cd=candela

Alright now its time to do some math....

Alright if my calculations are correct that gives you ~3702 lumens. But this still does not help you at all. You need to convert your lumens to watts. The conversion factor for Lumens to Watts is w= 0.001496l

w=watts
l=lumens

So lets get those watts. If my calculations are correct, you would be looking at circa 5.5 watts of power.

So according to the law, your lights must be x < 5.5

Ok so we have how much energy, but how can we know what to use and what not to use. Well its time for more math. We can convert to either volts or amps by using the formula

w=v x a

w= watts
v=voltage
a=amps

In case you cant get my drift that would be a=w/v

So that would be your a=5.5/12 and would mean that you can have x < ~0.45 amps

Alright now lets figure out what we can use. A cold cathode kit from Oznium.com puts out 0.7 amps at 12 volts. So according to that it would be 8.4 watts.

Single L.E.D.'s however run on ~4 volts of power, thus you would need resistors to block the 12 volts coming from the battery. It even comes with a little chart on the bottom of the Oznium page. link is https://www.oznium.com/loose-component-leds/led

So bottom line is that L.E.D.'s are ok on your exterior, anything above that looks like a no no.
Neon Mike

Post Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:38 am

Ok the first part basicly means that any light visible from 75 feet away from the vehile that strikes the roadway other than the mentioned lights are illegal. That's what they're trying to get at. They figure that if it's higher than 300 candlepower it will be too bright as you approach.

For the second part if you can see the actual source of a red light front directly in front of the vehicle you, it is illegal. They won't nab ya for red glow comming from directionals or brakes however anything else is their discretion.

And Voltage, I think everyone should take notes on you converion explaination. Very well explained my friend.
pewter s10

Post Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:27 pm

nice
SE1289

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:46 am

I was thinking about copying that down, changing a number, and saying "look my car is 20 candlepower UNDER THAT"...what cop is gonna actually rework that?

ALSO...my UB kit doesnt strke on the road way 75 feet away
So if 300 candle power is only like..1 LED..who in the right mind thinks 1 LED can strike a ccar 75 feet away. So its 300 candel power if it CAN strike a car 75 feet away? MY UB kit doesnt...not that I know of at least *goes get ruler* lol.

I think im just gonna go find a cop and see if its illigal with the above statement of the law. ( i printed it out and put it in my car so that if i find that means I CAN have it, and a cop stops me and tries to write a ticket..i'll be like "BOO YA"
pewter s10

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:02 am

you are always gonna run into the little pricks who want to meet their quota though
SE1289

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:46 am

haha...my moms b/f (cop) said he wouldnt pull anyone over...and he said he's never heard of them being illigal..so im just going to take my chances

if i get pulled over i'll put out the law on them..and if they still wanna act like pricks and say it is illigal , i'll use the "my dads a cop and my mom is a dispatcher" line...then i'll just get a warning and wont do it anymore if i find out they actually ARE
Voltage

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:50 am

SE1289 wrote:

ALSO...my UB kit doesnt strke on the road way 75 feet away
So if 300 candle power is only like..1 LED..who in the right mind thinks 1 LED can strike a ccar 75 feet away. So its 300 candel power if it CAN strike a car 75 feet away? MY UB kit doesnt...not that I know of at least *goes get ruler* lol.

See it's all open to interpretation. It could be if the beam of light strikes somebody 75 feet away, or it could be taken more radically and could be interpreted as saying "if anyone can see it 75 feet away". The second interpretation would be pretty stupid, but if a cop is having a bad day, or is trying to meet his quota, then you may get pulled over.

But seriously just use caution! If you're on a road that usually has ALOT of cops on it then just don't put it on. Oh and if you see a cop and he saw you, don't automatically flip your UB off, you'll prob get pulled over faster.
SE1289

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:51 am

yea, i usually only ride with it on in neighborhoods though, never a main street like the hwy or major side streets. BUt I might test it one day if I get bored and its not too many cars around
pewter s10

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:45 am

i know a lot of people with ub on their cars, and i dont think they have gotten in trouble yet...
SE1289

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:37 am

but do they ride with them on?
pewter s10

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:45 am

about 75% of the time
Glowin97x

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:33 pm

Statutes cant be correctly interpreted w/out caselaw. Theres no way to give a definitive answer. Do what the statute says be just know that it really doesnt mean anything just to read the words.
Cyber Knight

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:45 am

SE1289 wrote:
so...how much is 300 candle power

You'll find out on your 300th birthday.
SE1289

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:24 am

**borrowing my thread to paste somthin on here so ican copy and print at school

dont delete till tonite phil!!!

1. There are so few tragedies written today due to the lack o heroes, and because people don%u2019t have the imagination they used to because of skepticism raised from education and science.

2. Archaic means belonging to the early or formative phases of culture.

3. Tragedy has been viewed as archaic because most tragedies deal with kings and royal families, and royalty and king-ruled cities are part of a past culture.

4. Tragedy is fit for the common man because although the stories apply to kings and royalty, common men are put in the same situations and have the same emotions as the upper class. They have the same life lessons and go through everything a King does, the only difference between them is their social status.

5. Modern psychiatry makes it obvious that tragedy is not limited to the high born.

6. A tragic hero is %u201Cready to lay down his life, if need be, to secure%u201D his personal dignity.

7. The tragic hero hopes to gain the position in society that he feels belongs to him.

8. The %u201Cwound%u201D that the hero incurs is the wound of indignity.

9. The dominant force that motivates the tragic hero is indignation.

10. Indignation is an anger or annoyance caused by something seeming unfair or unreasonable to a person.

11. According to Miller, tragedy is the consequence of a man%u2019s total compulsion to evaluate himself justly.

12. Miller defines the tragic flaw as his inherent unwillingness to remain passive in the face of what he conceives to be a challenge to his dignity, or basically being inflexible in the face of change when it when it deals with his dignity and his status.

13. The cause of terror and fear that is classically associated with tragedy is when everything that we have ignorantly accepted in life is questioned and examined.

14. The inner dynamic of all tragedy is when the unquestioned is questioned and we learn.

15. The outwad form of tragedy has changed for modern man

16. The fear that underlies contemporary tragedy and is best understood by common man is the fear of being displaced and torn away from our chosen image of what or who we are in the world.

17. The morality of tragedy is a man%u2019s total compulsion to evaluate himself and his destruction in the attempt that positions a wrong or an evil in his environment.

18. The lesson of tragedy is the discovery of moral law that comes from the evaluation of ones self.

19. Tragedy is a condition of growth because it allowsthe human personality to flower and realize itself.

20. Tragedy enlightens a man because it clearly points out the enemy of a mans freedom, and allows him to go for it.

21. Modern literature has created a milieu in which heroic action seems impossible because literature has taken a step towards the psychiatric and sociological view of life. If all our miseries and indignities are born within our mind instead of actions, then any heroic action is impossible.

24. In a tragic story, the only common goal for the heroes is to realize themselves and to do this they examine whatever challenges who they think they are.

25. Pessimism is the tendency to only the negative aspects of a situation and to expect only bad things to happen.

26. An author of tragedy has to be able to see the positive side of things more then an author of comedy because in a tragedy, bad situations and results are dominant, and to remain optimistic is what lays the plan out for the hero to learn something and turn out good. In comedy, good situations and results are dominant so there is no need for the author to make sure he has a positive insight on things.

27. The tragic hero must be intent upon claiming his whole due as a personality. %u2026

28. This struggle must be waged without one preventing himself from the acceptance of what he finds.

29. If both conditions are met, then the everlasting will of man to achieve his humanity is demonstrated.

30. The possibility of victory must always be present in a tragedy.

31. Pathos is the quality in someone that makes them feel sad.

32. Pathos is an emotion of sadness and pity experienced when watching a tragedy. Also, pathos is the mode for a pessimist to think everything is impossible, while tragedy requires a nicer balance between what is possible and impossible

33. According to Miller, tragedies continue to speak to us century after century because we still hold the optimistic belief that a man can become perfect and fix his flaws. It reaches down into the average mans heart and spirit and connects with it because the average man and royalty in a tragedy can relate.
KaosFaction

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:37 am

lol...can't you email yourself it??
SE1289

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:53 am

nope, school blocks e-mail..but not oznium icon_smile.gif
SE1289

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:56 am

well, i still got a ticket, no matter what. I'll fight it in court tho!
SE1289

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:18 am

delete

Last edited by SE1289 on Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total
djtecthreat

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:17 am

oh wow, get a thumb drive, will ya?
SE1289

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:14 pm

haha, i know i know...my printer ran out of ink!
Kokoro Kishin

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:07 pm

SE1289 wrote:
Any lighted lamp or illuminated device upon a motor vehicle other than head lamps, spot lamps, auxiliary lamps or flashing front direction signals which projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than 300 candlepower shall be so directed that no part of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.

A question on the wording of said law. Can it be above 300 candlepower, so long as no part of the beam is beyond the 75 feet? For instance, 400 candlepower at 70 feet, would that still be legal? I at least attempt to see loopholes in anything I come across, so wording would make it otherwise...
Spawn

Post Thu May 10, 2007 10:09 am

simplest way to explain the candle power at 75 feet thing, and it's pretty much a rule of thumb that most have said before. Can you see the light being emitted from the bulb itself at 75 feet, not the light reflected off of another surface, but the bulb itself? Yes, then it's illegal.

That was how my ex explained it to me, if you can see the bulb, it's pretty much illegal.
stowsea

Post Thu May 10, 2007 11:03 am

Voltage wrote:
That is a harder question to answer then you think.

Candlepower was labeled as an "archaic" form of measuring light as of circa. 1950. The Candela was the unit that replaced candlepower, with 1 candlepower= 0.982 Candela. In order to get to Lumens you need to use this formula l= 4pi x cd.

with l= lumens
pi=3.14159
cd=candela

Alright now its time to do some math....

Alright if my calculations are correct that gives you ~3702 lumens. But this still does not help you at all. You need to convert your lumens to watts. The conversion factor for Lumens to Watts is w= 0.001496l

w=watts
l=lumens

So lets get those watts. If my calculations are correct, you would be looking at circa 5.5 watts of power.

So according to the law, your lights must be x < 5.5

Ok so we have how much energy, but how can we know what to use and what not to use. Well its time for more math. We can convert to either volts or amps by using the formula

w=v x a

w= watts
v=voltage
a=amps

In case you cant get my drift that would be a=w/v

So that would be your a=5.5/12 and would mean that you can have x < ~0.45 amps

Alright now lets figure out what we can use. A cold cathode kit from Oznium.com puts out 0.7 amps at 12 volts. So according to that it would be 8.4 watts.

Single L.E.D.'s however run on ~4 volts of power, thus you would need resistors to block the 12 volts coming from the battery. It even comes with a little chart on the bottom of the Oznium page. link is https://www.oznium.com/loose-component-leds/led

So bottom line is that L.E.D.'s are ok on your exterior, anything above that looks like a no no.

my brain hurts
Kokoro Kishin

Post Tue May 29, 2007 7:32 pm

Spawn wrote:
simplest way to explain the candle power at 75 feet thing, and it's pretty much a rule of thumb that most have said before. Can you see the light being emitted from the bulb itself at 75 feet, not the light reflected off of another surface, but the bulb itself? Yes, then it's illegal.

That was how my ex explained it to me, if you can see the bulb, it's pretty much illegal.

So if you just block it for the UB so that the bulbs themselves cannot be seen unless you look directly under is perfectly fine basically. If you use some small angle iron for instance, just to block the bulbs but not any of the lighting itself is still acceptable, correct?
TreTheRaid3

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:42 pm

ok when you say see the bulb do you mean like if the cop putts his/hers head in my car and sees my little leds then im f***** or if the can see the bubls from out side cuz i live in SoCal like 1:30 from the beach and 100% of the time i have my inner lled lights on and my tail lights on and my system un liess i see a coper but ever now and then i miss the little undercover cop or what ever and they just pass by but anywho back to my ? if they see the source while there driving or what and i dont wanna here the bs line of just turn them off i bought them for a reason and instaled them with time and patince so and if i get pulled over ya i know i was in the wrong
The time now is Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:38 pm
Page 1 of 1