Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Keyed Lug Nuts!!

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:38 pm

Alright, so i put on my car fixin' get-up and i grab my snap-on box (filled with sears tools =/) and head over to my grandmothers to put some new pads on her chevy.

I grab my 4 way and floor jack, i jack up the car, go to stick an end of the 4-way on the rim, and... What's this? a lug-nut with a hex design (locking lug nut) to keep someone from stealing her super premium 14" stock wheels (wtf)

So i go on a rampage through the car, glove box, truck, etc.. and... No key for these things. WTF big time now, because this was only suppose to take me a couple to a few hours at most, and i've already spent 45 minutes swearing looking for the lug nut key.

So i figured, hey.. maybe she knows where it is. So i head up stairs- and.. She has no clue (just what i was subconsciously suspecting).

So i fight with every tool i have that could grip to try and get this off, and no luck. So i pack it up and head home angry. While her chevy will no undoubtedly be squealing again when she drives it tomorrow.

Sorry for the story, but any idea how to get these off? Get a key? (yes, i called a dealership and they said they'd have to charge me to remove them in the shop and i nor my grandmother can really afford a $35/hr with a 3 hour minimum). Or any idea why they would put these on?
Knox

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:43 pm

I don't know what you can use, but some thieves managed to get 2 of mine off in a short period of time. Luckily they decided to quit trying and didn't get anything.
Automosity

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:50 pm

i've had to remove a few at my shop when the customer can't find their key either. This is what works for me. Grab a large flathead screwdriver or chisel and a big hammer. Pound the screwdriver into the lug nut at an angle to try and get it to spin. This will usually ruin the locking nuts but it will get them off (works for me anyway). Then make a run to the parts store and buy 4 new lugnuts so you don't have to reuse the locking ones. It would be a shame to get a flat and not be able to change it just because you can't get the locking lugnut off.
djtecthreat

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:52 pm

Well i'd replace them with new lug nuts (not locking ones, i dont see the point, her wheels are ugly stock things) I was thinking about running back to my house getting my drill and drilling a hole through them and sticking a screw driver through it, but i didnt for some reason.

EDIT: Do you think some big vice grips would work? I only had a couple small pairs in my portable tool box, i leave the big ones at home.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:54 pm

Maybe a tow truck could help, they probably deal with this all the time.
corvettecrazy

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:54 pm

did you look under the spare? or attached to the lug wrench? near the tail lights? Center console?

You should be able to get a key at a dealer.

Otherwise:

1 I have known mechanics that can spin them off with an air chissel (sp)

2 do what sears techs do.....pound a socket over the lug. take the lug off. Finish the job with new lugs and then go back to sears and get a new socket because you will likely destroy the one you beat onto the lugs.
pOrk

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:56 pm

3 hour minimum? Take it to another dealership, that is outrageous. Should take no longer then 5 minutes at a dealership, they all have lock sets that have almost every lugnut key you can find.

Heat the ***** up with a torch and grab onto it with a big channel locks ya sally
djtecthreat

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:02 pm

i did look everywhere for the key, its not there, i'm sure of it. i totally pulled everything out of the trunk, down to the bare floor, and i ripped the glove box apart too. Those are pretty much the only known storage places. Nada.

I will head over there tomorrow after school, leave my truck there and bring the car back here where all my tools are. I should be able to get them off with something.
Automosity

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:02 pm

the only problem with that pork, is if the car has plastic hubcaps which are held on by the lugnuts it will be destroyed. and sometimes the lugnuts are sunk into the rim making it impossible to get channel locks on the nut. They do make a "Special Tool" for getting locking lugnuts off. It's basically a set of sockets that you pound over the lugnut and spin it off with a wrench.
djtecthreat

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:05 pm

Yes, we have that tool at school, they are sockets with teeth in them, and when you pound it over locking nut, it digs in joining the two. I should ask if i can borrow them.
steven_mckenz

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:14 pm

What kind of car is it? My roommate's car came w/keyed lug nuts, and his was in a stupid hidden spot. I can ask him where it was at, if you both have the same cars.
djtecthreat

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:24 pm

2002 Chevy Impala
GlowinPontiac

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:18 pm

get that socket with the teeth. thats the easiest way to deal with those pos nuts.

unless you have expensive wheels theyre not worth it. if your grandmother gets a flat she's screwed and will have to call a towtruck just to change the flat with those lugs. rip em off and put normal ones back on.
djtecthreat

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:31 pm

That's become my new plan anyway. Nobody is going to steal these corny wheels off this.
blazeumup

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:44 pm

any decent tire place should be able to remove them cheaper then a dealer
pewter s10

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:22 pm

take a 3/4" socket (preferably crappy ones)(size that fits my lugs), take a hammer, pound the shiznits out of the socket over the locking lug, and use a ratchet to remove...

i have done it on 1 or 2 occations...
thumpinbass134

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:56 am

ya i had to do this on an old set on my car, the key actually broke, cuz the lug was on wayyyy to tight, took a socket, slightly bigger, hammered it on (nice tight fit) and took an airratchet to it. bam, problem solved
corvettecrazy

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:44 am

pewter s10 wrote:
take a 3/4" socket (preferably crappy ones)(size that fits my lugs), take a hammer, pound the shiznits out of the socket over the locking lug, and use a ratchet to remove...

i have done it on 1 or 2 occations...

use one with a life time warrenty...then just take it back.
pewter s10

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:05 pm

i wonder if craftsman would take back a socket with a lugnut stuck in it?
corvettecrazy

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:07 pm

pewter s10 wrote:
i wonder if craftsman would take back a socket with a lugnut stuck in it?

if the lug was stuck and you chopped the socket in half with a saw or beat it with a hammer they would still take it back. there are so many ways to get the socket back off the lug that I wouldn't even worry about that
pewter s10

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:33 pm

i have the key to my locking lugs, so i wont ever have to worry about that
The time now is Thu May 24, 2018 7:57 pm
Page 1 of 1