Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

"rainbow" foglights

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:33 pm

What's up with these? You know, the ones with like goofy purple/yellow/blueish chameleon going on in the lens?
I dropped one of my foglights today and cracked it, ugh, so now I've gotta grab replacements.
I'm putting a blue LED in each one, so does that "rainbow" lens effect it at all?
How's light output?
Any advantages tho this over traditional clear or blue lens?

I couldn't find anything about them online.
Ryan88

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:30 pm

User posted image
The lenses on the bottom right?

I have them on my car. Their real cool. The light an oncomming car see's will be greenish/blue/purple - depending on the angle. If your looking at top or side of them, you'll see pink, yellow, aqua light. If you're on the highway and a car is next to your fogs, they will probably see pink.

the light you see on the road is greenish-blue.

get them, you can allways take them back. I had them on my car for about 3 months and never got pulled over. I have a short somewhere so they aren't working now.
Netofficer3710

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:48 pm

ok excuse my ignorance I know little about cars (i'm just here to make my car pritty)

I didn't even notice till now that my car had fog lights

i've certainly never used fog lights nor have I noticed a switch to turn them on

what do they do exactly?
Ryan88

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:08 pm

Light the road up better. real fog lights installed propperly will pierce under the fog keeping the light from reflecting everywhere making the road visible
Netofficer3710

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:11 pm

do they help ad any light when there is no fog?

is it legal to use them when theres no fog?
Tim

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:20 pm

Your stock fog lights probably suck. Upgrade the bulbs.
Ryan88

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:20 pm

Yep they'll add light.

I don't see why it would be illegal. I drive with yellow fog lights on every night. Probably 80% of the cars on the road you will see with driving/fog lights on at night. Use them!

And x2 what tim said.
Get some yellow bulbs in there! it will look sick with your cavi.
Tim

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:22 pm

I've got some 3000k 881 HID projectors for fogs. Those thing are badass.
Netofficer3710

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:26 pm

so how do I know what to buy for bulbs (2003 cavalier)
SE1289

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:28 pm

phil mite pop up and tell you..but go to autozone and advanced and tey will tell you..or google
Ryan88

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:29 pm

I belive their H7 bulbs in there.
clutch1

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:49 pm

I picked a cheap $20 pair up that'll fit right into my old brackets n all today! woot.

I tested a blue LED in it and it lights up just fine, all blue, but when I shone a flashlight in there (white) it was yellowish. They should be pretty sweet once I finish getting the LEDs mounted n install them!
xracer000

Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:06 am

Ryan88 wrote:
User posted image
The lenses on the bottom right?

I have them on my car. Their real cool. The light an oncomming car see's will be greenish/blue/purple - depending on the angle. If your looking at top or side of them, you'll see pink, yellow, aqua light. If you're on the highway and a car is next to your fogs, they will probably see pink.

the light you see on the road is greenish-blue.

get them, you can allways take them back. I had them on my car for about 3 months and never got pulled over. I have a short somewhere so they aren't working now.

I've tried a set of these and I didn't find there was any color to them when the bulb was turned on. I have to admit that I was really disappointed in them. They were the first set of fogs I owned and have since been torn apart and tossed away. Then I tried a 3-bulb yellow fog/white driving/blue "accessory" light combo. They looked amazing, especially the blue accessory light, but were built poorly. They have since been torn apart and tossed. I now have a cheap plastic $20 pair of clear oval driving lights that have lasted the longest so far. But where they are mounted, they don't provide a whole lot of light any farther then 10 feet in front of my truck. I just can't seem to get them to aim higher.
clutch1

Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:06 pm

Well the ones I got burn hotttt. Ouch, one LED is quite damaged from being a tad too close to the bulb.. the case is yellow and it still puts out light, but I have no idea how the poor little guy made it. I pushed both LEDs down more to keep them as far from the bulb as possible, so after a little more driving I'll see how they fare. Might have to mount them differently.

Otherwise they're ok lamps. They're quite yellow, more yellow than my stock driving lights.. hmm.
Oh well, they'll probably look cool with HIDs if I ever get a set.
Ryan88

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:42 am

So you have the kind with the clear/purple/yellow lens? If you get HIDs for fogs, get yellow HIDs for them, or get new foglights with a clear lens so the yellow lens don't mess with the white HID color
clutch1

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:17 am

I meant HID headlights, lol. But yea, that's the lens color. icon_lol.gif
ImagoX

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:57 am

NOTE: there is a big difference between DRIVING LIGHTS and FOG LIGHTS. Part of it is the way they're installed and aimed, but also fog lights are constructed so that the beam pattern "falls off" in a very particular way - if you mount driving lights and try to use them as fog lights, you can actually end up in a situation where you can see WORSE. Fog lights are designed to cast light down towards the street with a very sharp cut-off (so that the light does not bounce off the fog and blind the driver) and cast a wide, horizontal "bar" of light. Most of the accessory lights in that picture are actually DRIVING LIGHTS and should never be used in fog.

For a brief discussion of aiming accessory lights see:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

This guy is a REAL stickler for lights and can be a bit abrasive/arrogant at times, but he really knows his **** - read and learn, Grasshopper.

You can also Google "aiming fog lights" and "aiming driving lights" and get lots of good articles. be safe and only iknstall the right lights, and aim them properly! Bad lighting hurts you and other drivers!
Tim

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:46 am

w00t w00t

User posted image

Credit: DHackRSX
ImagoX

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:57 am

Wow... I hope they're not REALLY that color in person. Vomit green is NOT a good look IMHO. icon_redface.gif

Altough, studies on how we see seem to indicate that a yellow-tinted driving light offers some benefits over white or blue-tinted lights. Weird since all of the "improved" Xenon lights are generally tinted bluish... The europeans have been tinting their rally lights yellow for decades. Personally I think it looks old-fashioned and sort of nasty, but that's jusr me probably...
clutch1

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:36 pm

I was reading online that the yellow foglight helping out was only a myth and that white was just as good.. like most of the upper links on google when i searched "yellow foglights" or something.
Odd, lol.

I saw a car tonight with blue-ish headlights and yellow foglights.. it did indeed look good. gawlly I want some HIDs for my headlights now, lol.
Tim

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:38 pm

Yellow fogs rock in the rain/fog. I don't know how much better 3000k is than 4100k or 4500k but I know 6000k suck in the rain. This is at night of course. During the day there's no problem with visibility.
clutch1

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:11 pm

Ah, well I'll trust first person more than some random people on google, that's for sure. Thanks Tim icon_biggrin.gif
Ryan88

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:36 pm

Tim, how were the 6000K on a dry night? I'm thinking about getting 8000K, but I know what you mean how it's hard to see in the rain in the nighttime. It's hard to see with my little dinky blue tinted hallogen bulbs!
Tim

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:42 pm

6000k on a dry night was fine. Keep in mind though, for the best output possible HIDs are to be used with projectors, not in halogen housings. Jeeze, I'm starting to sound like Corvette icon_wink.gif . Anywho, the 6000k HIDs I got from here worked fine for night time driving as long as it wasn't pouring down. I wouldn't get 8000k, that's just me. I believe Eric has 8000k in his Legacy. A great way to go would be like 4300k for the headlights and then 3000k fogs. That's what I plan to do as soon as I can afford a retrofit, lol.
Ryan88

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:48 pm

Looking at pictures of HIDs in the action shot gallery, most of the 6,000K pictures look diferent than other 6,000K shots. Some looks white, some looks blue white, some look blue.
Tim

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:58 pm

They look real blue to oncoming traffic but from inside the car they're real white with a tint of blue. Least that's how I saw them, I'm slightly color blind, but I usually only have problems with browns and dark greens.
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 6:29 am
Page 1 of 1