Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

LED diagram request

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:47 pm

phil said somethin earlier about wiring them in series, then wire the series in parallel or somethin.
and i'm oblivious as to how this would end up lookin.
so help would be appreciated.
thank you in advance
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:31 am

you have 3 leds to start, right? ok, good. so we'll call the 1, 2, and 3

take the positive of 1 and wire it to the negative of 2. take the positive of two and wire it to the negative of 3. now what wires do you have free? the negative of 1, and the positive of 3. run power to these, no resistor is needed. now repeat steps one thru three with a new set of leds. again, run power to the set of three, as you did the first. now you just made 2 series circut (negative to positive sets) and ran it paralel.

Capisce?
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:09 am

Code:
C = long lead on the LED (positive)
c = short lead on the LED (negative, ie ground)
- = connection
| = connection
--------------------

-Cc-Cc-Cc-
    |          |
     -Cc-Cc-Cc-
    |          |
     -Cc-Cc-Cc-
    |          |
     -Cc-Cc-Cc-
    |          |
(12v+)      (12v-)
banned from SG

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:32 pm

thanks phil icon_cool.gif

sorry addictedtoiceled, i'm a visual learner icon_rolleyes.gif
dbismyname

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:41 pm

addicted yours is wrong i do believe. you have power runnin to both ends. one should be power and one ground. am i correct?
banned from SG

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:22 pm

Phil wrote:
Code:
C = long lead on the LED (positive)
c = short lead on the LED (negative, ie ground)
- = connection
| = connection
--------------------

-Cc-Cc-Cc-
    |          |
     -Cc-Cc-Cc-
    |          |
     -Cc-Cc-Cc-
    |          |
     -Cc-Cc-Cc-
    X         |
    |          |
(12v+)      (12v-)

switch goes where X is?
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:27 pm

dbismyname wrote:
addicted yours is wrong i do believe. you have power runnin to both ends. one should be power and one ground. am i correct?

by run power to these i assumed you know negative goes to negative, and positive to positive lead... cussing.gif

j/k
silly.gif
element16

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:24 pm

so PTCruzr, in that diagram, ur not using resistors at all?? and if you use a seperate resistor for each LED, wouldnt it be brighter?
Steber

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:50 am

thier are no resistors, as for brightness. its not much of a difference, i cant tell you which is brighter. i see no difference when i do it either way.

Note: in the diagram he shows 4 red leds in a series. I know for a fact that this will not last long. the voltage of 4 red leds is less than 12 volts, so over time you will blow your series, and you will have to disect your series. your best bet when using red is to run 5 of them in a series.
PTCruzr

Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:30 pm

Steber wrote:
thier are no resistors, as for brightness. its not much of a difference, i cant tell you which is brighter. i see no difference when i do it either way.

Note: in the diagram he shows 4 red leds in a series. I know for a fact that this will not last long. the voltage of 4 red leds is less than 12 volts, so over time you will blow your series, and you will have to disect your series. your best bet when using red is to run 5 of them in a series.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that in my diagram the LED's that I used were 3 volt LED's. 4 of them in series works perfect. If using lower voltage LED's you would want to increase the quantity accordingly.
Lord Zog

Post Sat May 01, 2004 6:40 pm

Steber wrote:

If I create a series using resistors and I don't use enough voltage, will it kill the series also or will I be protected that way? Also, what is a good hot 12v + wire to use in a vehicle? If I go straight to the battery, whats a good fuse size to use? Thanks!
GlowinPontiac

Post Sat May 01, 2004 7:54 pm

[quote="Lord Zog"]
Steber wrote:
Also, what is a good hot 12v + wire to use in a vehicle? If I go straight to the battery, whats a good fuse size to use? Thanks!

yes a wire direct from the battery is the best power source use a 15 amp fuse unless ur running a real lot of accesories
Lord Zog

Post Sat May 01, 2004 8:50 pm

Lord Zog wrote:
Also, what is a good hot 12v + wire to use in a vehicle? If I go straight to the battery, whats a good fuse size to use? Thanks!

GlowinPontiac wrote:
yes a wire direct from the battery is the best power source use a 15 amp fuse unless ur running a real lot of accesories

Not a lot.. Just about 5-7 LED's per front light harness and 4-5 for each rear light harness. Maybe more later for a drink holder, glove box, and a few other things, but it's gonna only be blue LED's.. biglaugh.gif

Is it okay to run more than one set of wires from a switch? Like 2 sets, one for the front and one for the back on one switch or is that overkill for the switch? thx!
TypeRBass

Post Wed May 05, 2004 6:18 am

GlowinPontiac wrote:

icon_eek.gif 15 amp fuse for a couple led's? i think not. thats waaaaaaay too much for some puny led's. or are those super led's that draw a million amps each icon_lol.gif go with like i dunno a 5 amp fuse. it would be pleeeeeenty.
bigd9247

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:18 am

so if i run three of phill's LEDs in a series like ADDICTED2ICELED said then i wont need resistors right? or would it still be a good idea to run resistors? is there any difference in the light output if i have resistors or not?
alienyoungjr

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:37 am

If you get the right resistor it will help make your LEDs last longerr but you can run them without. I however am not running them without I am using resistors with all of my series that i have put it so far.
bigd9247

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:37 pm

alienyoungjr, are you using a seperate resistor for each LED or one per series? if i get resistors they will be the ones that are included with the LEDs ordered from phill
alienyoungjr

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:05 pm

I am useing one per series, I also have ones form AutoZone that have them one per LED but there covered up so i don't know there color code.
Bobberrific

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:44 pm

So...I could run a series of say 4 blue LED's with one resistor to save them?

Power, resistor, LED LED LED LED ground???
bigd9247

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:31 pm

for best glow and LED life, should i use one resistor per LED or one resistor per series?
alienyoungjr

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:29 pm

I can;t answers your question bigd9247, you will have to try it yourself and see what you think is brighter. But for the longest life possible you should always go with the manufactuers recommendations.

for Bobberrific: my series are series of three LEDs and if you do series of four you may cut down the voltage too much and reduce the brightness of the LEDs. Typically blue and green LEDs are around 4v and you car puts out around 14v running and close to 12v not running, you should set up your series for the 12v setting cause who knows how often you car will actually reach the 14v for a continuous time.

With series circuits you take the voltage and divide it by the items you have in it so four LEDs @ 12v = 3v for each LED and typically blue and green LEDs are 4v min or max i;m not sure it just depends on your LED that oyu bought. The quickest way to get this LED stuff done is to purchase LEDs with the resistors added on like Phils. I am useing some LEDs that i saved from my bro's wreck that ruined the front bar but i removed all the LEDs and I was able to figure out how they ran the stuff.

If you need anyother let me know
The time now is Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:35 am
Page 1 of 1