Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

pulled over for tint....must also remove other stuff

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sat May 26, 2007 4:03 pm

I got pulled over the other day because of a tinted rear window (measured at 7%).

the officer told me i had 30 days to remove the tint, headlight covers, taillight covers, and my neons, along with any other illegal aftermarket things in my truck.

the officer gave me a ticket for my tint and headlight and taillight covers. he said he would have gave me a fine for the neons too if he would have seen them while checking my tint.
its funny though how he didnt say anything about the (roughly) 24" long crack in my windshield that starts in the corner of the passengers side to the middle of the windshield

I'm not understanding why i need to remove my neons....the vehicle code says i can have them as long as they aren't flashing, oscillating, or strobing red or blue while driving...
i didnt even have them on...it was broad daylight...and i dont drive with my neons on at all (maybe he didnt like the fact that they were on the dash and had blue end caps)

its a $320 fine (250 for the tint, and 70 for the covers)
and i just received my flexstrips and leds yesterday (finally!!)
Cooper

Post Sat May 26, 2007 4:19 pm

I'm no student of the law but it seems out of bounds for a roadside stop to turn into a complete vehicle inspection . If the officer didn't see the neons turned on then not only did they not constitute an immediate safety hazard/distraction/etc, but he couldn't even be sure they were operational .
Its like seeing a bullhorn in your backseat and ticketing you because you could use it to yell at drivers and distract them .
You gotta find out if you can be cited for lights you're not displaying .
The_Mastor

Post Sat May 26, 2007 5:03 pm

Something similar to this happened to me. Cop pulled out and was following me for ~8 miles then turns on his lights and I pull over. This is a chick state trooper and she says I have no front license plate and I show her it is on a hinge and it must have flipped up. Well, she cites me for that and writes a $70 ticket. Then she whips out a tint detector and asks me to ROLL UP my windows so she can check them. I was driving with them down and she makes me roll them up to check them. Then I get a ticket for tint, another $70 and have to take those off in 30 days. icon_rolleyes.gif
sparky15_00

Post Sat May 26, 2007 5:20 pm

Sign the ticket, send it back, and don't remove the tint icon_razz.gif I did that a few times with my old car. Luckily 20% is legal here.
Steph

Post Sat May 26, 2007 6:53 pm

That sucks... A cop tried giving me a tint ticket... but my front windows arnt illegal. So he has been trying to give me tickets for other things since... he has pulled me over like 4 times trying to give me tickets for things. ****.
Ryan88

Post Sat May 26, 2007 9:46 pm

I had 20% tint on all around for a year then got pulled over just a few weeks ago in a different town ship. In PA, if the tint is not factory, it's illegal. He only made me take off the front windows and get a cop signature. Very nice guy, didn't even give me a ticket and let me keep all the other tint on. I retinted my front windows using that static cling tint so I can take it off and put it back on if I ever get into that mishap again...
Aken

Post Sun May 27, 2007 12:53 am

Don't touch your neons, there's no reason you have to remove them.
Kevin_S

Post Sun May 27, 2007 6:49 am

wv is pretty lax about tint -- you can have your windows as dark as you want all the way around (black 'em out if you want to) but your front drive and front passenger can only be 20%...

they're a lil more strict on lighting. but as long as you didn't have them on and you don't turn them on, i don't see how you're breaking the law?....
i dunno..
i'd pay the ticket and leave everything alone..this guy was just being a lil hard ass that day....bad day for him, maybe...
Ace 96

Post Sun May 27, 2007 8:53 am

sparky15_00 wrote:
Sign the ticket, send it back, and don't remove the tint icon_razz.gif I did that a few times with my old car. Luckily 20% is legal here.

i wish i could but i have to remove it and get it reinspected at the RMV along with paying the fine (or fighting the ticket)
what about those big rear window decals that show the flag or something on trucks? you cant see squat into the vehicle. at least my tint had faded a little and you were able to see the world out of the rearview (and the world could see inside the vehicle too)

I'm going to print out the vehicle lighting law on red/blue lighting and keep it in my glovebox, just in case I get questioned again about the neons

i can't believe he cared more about me removing my neons more than the insanely large and unsafe crack in my windshield (to me, the neons wont hurt anyone, that crack...well, that might lead to some trouble....)

if i only use my lighting for shows/parked/driveway uses, why does it matter? the cop cant say I drive with them on unless he has proof, which I know better not to drive with them on. I think the guy was just giving me a hard time because I'm an (almost) 18 yr. old kid driving in the downtown streets of Fitchburg, with some aesthetic mods done to my truck (that were already on the truck when I got it)
Ryan88

Post Sun May 27, 2007 9:18 am

Yea screw that, fight the neon part. That's ***.
jdusty914

Post Sun May 27, 2007 11:32 am

I had a cop in nashville tell me that I had to remove my underbody kit and that within 3 days I had to come back to Nashville to show him that I had removed my kit...Some cops just want to find something to pick on people about....I would not touch your kit like everyone else is saying...
Kevin_S

Post Sun May 27, 2007 11:42 am

Ace 96 wrote:
sparky15_00 wrote:

i wish i could but i have to remove it and get it reinspected at the RMV along with paying the fine (or fighting the ticket)
what about those big rear window decals that show the flag or something on trucks? you cant see squat into the vehicle. at least my tint had faded a little and you were able to see the world out of the rearview (and the world could see inside the vehicle too)

I'm going to print out the vehicle lighting law on red/blue lighting and keep it in my glovebox, just in case I get questioned again about the neons

i can't believe he cared more about me removing my neons more than the insanely large and unsafe crack in my windshield (to me, the neons wont hurt anyone, that crack...well, that might lead to some trouble....)

if i only use my lighting for shows/parked/driveway uses, why does it matter? the cop cant say I drive with them on unless he has proof, which I know better not to drive with them on. I think the guy was just giving me a hard time because I'm an (almost) 18 yr. old kid driving in the downtown streets of Fitchburg, with some aesthetic mods done to my truck (that were already on the truck when I got it)

just cut the power wire when you get the inspected -- they CAN NOT do anything about it then...
then after you get inspected, just put the wire back together and go again icon_smile.gif
sparky15_00

Post Sun May 27, 2007 12:06 pm

^^^ Good idea
Cooper

Post Sun May 27, 2007 5:45 pm

jdusty914 wrote:
I had a cop in nashville tell me that I had to remove my underbody kit and that within 3 days I had to come back to Nashville to show him that I had removed my kit...Some cops just want to find something to pick on people about....I would not touch your kit like everyone else is saying...

What'd you do ?
pewter s10

Post Sun May 27, 2007 6:01 pm

here, the tint law states 25 gross % on the sides, and 10% on the back... now someone try and find 25% tint... it is practically impossible, like only one company makes it that. they make either 22 or 28%... i got 22% on the sides and 5 on the back, and i have been pulled over 4 times, and they havent checked it yet..

btw, in arkansas, underdash lights are legal if they cant see them driving towards you on the road... i asked a state trooper...
stasis-

Post Sun May 27, 2007 6:59 pm

so..why is it he can tell you have lighting when its daylight and not on?

toobage?
jdusty914

Post Sun May 27, 2007 8:18 pm

Hey cooper the cop pulled over to me because my kit was on blue and music mode....the cop was just being a butthole about the lights though...
Ace 96

Post Sun May 27, 2007 8:37 pm

stasis- wrote:
so..why is it he can tell you have lighting when its daylight and not on?

toobage?

i have two liquid neon tubes sitting on my dash (one on each side) if you look at the truck from a distance you cant see them because the wipers cover them
SE1289

Post Sun May 27, 2007 10:06 pm

haha..tinting is no joke here anymore

if you are like...over the limit or w/e..ur in trouble..

a cop was killed this year because the tinting in the car was too much...and he went to talk to the driver and was shot from a guy in the back seat hidden by the tint
Ryan88

Post Mon May 28, 2007 8:05 pm

I got pulled over by a state trooper too for tine, he made me roll down all the windows. All he did was stick his head in the window and took a big sniff. He told me to take the tint off and walk away. Never gave me a written warning or anything.
SE1289

Post Mon May 28, 2007 10:02 pm

probably lookin for something else..and used that as an excuse to pull u over..and u wernt what he was lookng for

if that makes since
Ryan88

Post Tue May 29, 2007 8:18 am

He was hoping for a drug bust.
lunasea

Post Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:12 pm

i wouldent worry about your neons if you dont have them on in the first place an dont drive with them on your not doing anything wrong what so ever

an as far as everyones said about there tints wtf its wrong man im not totaly sure on the laws an legeslation an stuff but in canada ive seen new cars off the lot that have probibly 50% at least the windows look totaly black an i presume there legal

an that chick highway trooper that run into the mastor that aint right asking for you to roll up your windows an giving you a ticket for that or the fact that your licence plate was there in the first place thats a **** take

well maybe so ryan88 or maybe he just fancyed a sniff of you lol
Drifting10

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:15 am

So you have to remove your neons from inside too??? I know here in Illinois lighting of anysort is illiegal but you can have them on the inside as long as there not visible above the dash, looking inside from anywhere around the car/truck.......but oh well cops are aholes.
BLAZER_97

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:52 am

when were were driving around denton the police pulled us over for our tint....funny part was the tint was all factory! icon_lol.gif
sc3106

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:09 pm

never been pulled over for tint and my tint was MUCH darker than Mastors. crazy stuff!! DOUBLE LIMO TINT anyone hahaha
clutch1

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:38 pm

How the heck can you even see at night sc3106?!
Sometimes I have to roll down my windows at night with only 20% and seeing out my rear window with 35% red tint was even hard sometimes. Wow, lol.
04yellowf150

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:32 pm

Kevin_S wrote:
wv is pretty lax about tint -- you can have your windows as dark as you want all the way around (black 'em out if you want to) but your front drive and front passenger can only be 20%...

they're a lil more strict on lighting. but as long as you didn't have them on and you don't turn them on, i don't see how you're breaking the law?....
i dunno..
i'd pay the ticket and leave everything alone..this guy was just being a lil hard ass that day....bad day for him, maybe...

35% is the legal limit.

on my car its like 3-4% probably and ive never been pulled over or anything about my window tint, just had problems getting a sticker for it. I know where i live in wv, you can have lighting as much as you want as long as your stopped, where we cruise you park about 5 ft from the road and they wont say anything to you, strobes included
Peej

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:19 pm

In Tenn, the law clearly states that as long as the lights aren't flashing or oscillating and your not running blue and red together then your fine. However, it's becoming my experiece that most of the local Nashville Metro cops don't know the law themselves.
One dude got cited for blue lights (LED's in headlights) on while the car was OFF and parked in a lot on private property. The cop told him he had to take them off right there. Of course the guy basically told him to blow as he had no tools do so such with. He asked the cop if it was illegal and the cop said he didn't know but he was giving him a ticket anyway.
Another guy in our club just got cited for his underglows. I had him show me the ticket to see which vehicle code was listed and all the cop put down was "Display of blue light". According to the TN state motor vehicle code that is NOT illegal.
C'mon! Jeezis, these guys are just harrassing drivers for their own sport and it **** me off to no end.
I've got blue LED's in my headlights and many cops have seen them and not done crap about it so far.
The time now is Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:50 pm
Page 1 of 1