Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Any Underglow laws in NJ?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:10 pm

I am been looking everywhere to find info about underglow in NJ, I am from PA but go to NJ like Ocean City/Cape May all the time. I have blue neons on my truck. I would like to drive in Ocean City with them on.

Any NJ ppl know about the law about Underglow?
Ace 96

Post Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:04 pm

blue in most states is a no-no

put it this way, if its an emergency vehicle light color, dont drive with it on

you should save it for the parking lots/shows anyways, cause if you're driving, you cant hear or get the compliments unless you drive 2MPH and **** off everyone behind you
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:16 pm

the laws around here (florence oregon) are like this

Blue (can be on...but NOT flashing at all)
Red (can be on...but NOT flashing at all)
green (can be on...but NOT flashing at all)

the same goes for all the freaking colors under the rainbow and color combinations....as long as they arent flashing...they are good...or so said the cop that pulled me over with red flashing led lights :D

ALSO NO BULBS VISABLE....wanted to throw that out there.
FuzzLight

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:30 am

Unfortunately, the NJSA Index is currently not responding, or I'd post the text of the statutes. What you're looking for is:
39:3-47b (Improper Lamp / Lighting / Light Source)
39-3-50c (Improper Color of Lamps / Reflectors)

"NJSA" = New Jersey Statutes, Annotated.
"39:" = Motor Vehicle Law
":3-" = Equipment Violations
irishboy02

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:17 pm

i am almost 100% that the legal colors in NJ are red white and yellow...everythin else, especially blue icon_cry.gif are illegal
A-Ray

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:17 am

You could check the thread that is stickied at the top. It has a link to all state lighting laws.
FuzzLight

Post Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:32 am

NJSA 39:3-50. Color of lights,
All lamps and reflectors, which display a light visible from directly in front of a vehicle as authorized by this subtitle, shall exhibit lights substantially white, yellow or amber in color.

(a) The color of light emitted or reflected by exterior lamps or reflectors on a vehicle shall be as follows, except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b), (c) and (d) of this section:

White when the lamp is a headlamp, or spot lamp, or illuminates a license plate or a destination sign; or is located on the outside limit of a side car or other attachment on a motor cycle;

Substantially white or amber when the lamp is a side-cowl or fender lamp, running-board or other courtesy lamp, front parking lamp, back-up lamp, auxiliary driving lamp; or a turn signal on or facing the front;

Substantially red or amber when the lamp is a turn signal or a stop lamp on or facing the rear;

Red when any other lamp or any reflector is on the rear or on either side at or near the rear, except as otherwise provided in paragraph (f) of section 39:3-61 for a combination marker lamp;

Amber when any other lamp or reflector is on the front or on either side other than at or near the rear.

(b) Lamps and reflectors on projecting loads shall emit or reflect light with color as provided in section 10 of this act.

(c) No person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any street or highway equipped with any device or lamp thereon capable of or displaying a light of any other color than permitted by this section, except: an authorized emergency vehicle, an authorized school bus, or a vehicle authorized by a permit issued by the director.

(d) A permit authorizing a vehicle to be equipped with a lamp capable of or displaying a flashing light, except as provided in 39:3-54 or a light of a color other than permitted by this section, visible from directly in front of said vehicle, may be issued by the director when necessary, in his discretion, for the reasonable and safe movement of traffic. The permit shall specify the type and color of such lamp and the conditions under which a person may drive or move the vehicle with said lamp displaying a light. The permit shall be valid only when the specifications and conditions contained therein are complied with.

The director may cancel or revoke a permit issued under authority of this section whenever the conditions for its issuance no longer exist or on any other reasonable grounds.

>>> So you definitely cannot have blue on while in motion.
SickWitIt

Post Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:11 am

Ouch.
kornholio788

Post Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:28 am

my ufo does "legal" mode..white up front, amber on the sides, and red in back..i roll with that on everyonce in a hwile...but i have yet to run into a cop....so idk..sorry no help from me lol
SickWitIt

Post Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:38 am

LOL, you're just rubbing in the fact you own a UFO....shame.
kornholio788

Post Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:43 am

im not rubbin ur just extreamly jelous..i was just pointin out that is an option...have an underglow set that does legal colors all the way around..then another set for ur illegal colors..
SickWitIt

Post Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:54 am

Okay, I epically failed.

Maybe I should become a hero....

User posted image
kornholio788

Post Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:11 pm

It supposed to be "Go ahead be A hero"...retard

But back on subject..i ussually dont drive with my lights on..even if it is legal..cops will still probably hassle you for it. They will still probably pull you over and find a reason to ticket you whether it be for the lights or not...your just better off leavin them for parkin lots..where they cant give u a ticket for much at all..cept strobes
SickWitIt

Post Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:15 pm

kornholio788 wrote:
It supposed to be "Go ahead be A hero"...retard

But back on subject..i ussually dont drive with my lights on..even if it is legal..cops will still probably hassle you for it. They will still probably pull you over and find a reason to ticket you whether it be for the lights or not...your just better off leavin them for parkin lots..where they cant give u a ticket for much at all..cept strobes

Well considering that image defe. came off 4chan, you can see why things are messed up. BIYAAA!!!
mx107marlin

Post Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:24 pm

If anyone noticed in that law, a cop could see you in a parking lot and pull you over on the road even with your lights off.

It says that you may not have a lamp Capable of/ or displaying an illegal color (any color not mentioned in that law)

Just making sure everyone noticed...because even if you were to have your blue neons on in the parking lot and a cop wanted to be a D*** he could pull you over as soon as you got on the road because you had a lamp CAPABLE of displaying blue.
FuzzLight

Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:54 pm

In NJ most parking lots are private property, and only a select few statutes are enforceable. Most of them are moving violations. This law is not one of those.
mx107marlin

Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:47 pm

What I'm saying is that if a cop SEES you in the parking lot, he knows you have lights right, because lets face it the blue under glow from your car is not god telling you you've done good work. So the cop knows you have bulbs, and even if you turn them off before you get on the road, the fact that you have them strapped to your car, regardless of if they are on or not is illegal. He may cite you for it. Highly unlikely...yes, possible with all the D*** cops in the country...Definitely
SickWitIt

Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:48 pm

Dude, I doubt the cops are going to do anything if hes sitting still - whether they know or not.
mx107marlin

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:20 am

Yeah but that's not the point....the point is that they can
GoldenRod

Post Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:34 am

mx107marlin wrote:
Yeah but that's not the point....the point is that they can

I agree. I was at a small G2G at a local Krispy Kreme, and a few of us had some lights going. A cop stopped by and basically said the same thing. Of course, by the time we left, he was long gone, but he *could* have stopped us if he wanted to.
mx107marlin

Post Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:22 pm

Exactly...What better way to get a few tickets near quota time than to sit in the parking lot of a Krispy Kreme and wait for these guys to pull out and then bust all of them for lights.

I wouldn't do it, but you know there's cops that would.
SuBXeRo

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:30 pm

ok, i read up on this too being im from NJ, and i talked to a cop to help interpret it, basically, dont drive with underglow on. Some cops think its kool, others will **** u to no end, and jersey cops are not ones to be **** with. my suggestion is, err on the side of caution, its really not legal, tempt fate if you want.
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:31 pm
Page 1 of 1