Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Cup holder illumination

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:47 pm

which would be better to go with for illuminating my cup holders:

Extremely bright pre-wired superflux 4-chip LED

or

5mm Super bright pre-wired LED lights

or are both good products, and wont go wrong by going with eigther
Aken

Post Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:10 pm

Both would work fine. Superflux is much brighter, but a little bit more difficult to make flush on the bottom of a cupholder.

I have two 5mm LEDs in mine, they look great.
Radioflyer

Post Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:14 pm

I vote for the 5mm. For a spread pattern, use a dremel cut-off wheel to cut the roounded tip of the flat.
tCFM08

Post Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:22 pm

thanks i appreciate it, i was a little worried since i had already ordered a bunch of the 5mm pre-wired leds to do my cup holders and maybe later on the air vents, so they should go nicely together w/ the cold cathode kit i just got purchsed right
Chris

Post Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:50 pm

They will look nice together. The only thing is, depending on color, they may differ. LEDs and cathodes have a slight color difference between them.

My cupholder had 3 LEDs in each side, It looked amazing.

Heres a small video of it;
lbjshaq2345

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:25 am

There is a slight color difference, but you probably won't notice if you're using them in separate places unless you're looking for it. Tip, drill at an angle and point the cupholder LEDs towards the bottom of the cupholders so they don't shine in your eyes.
tCFM08

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:49 am

Chris wrote:
They will look nice together. The only thing is, depending on color, they may differ. LEDs and cathodes have a slight color difference between them.

My cupholder had 3 LEDs in each side, It looked amazing.

Heres a small video of it;

wow thats really looks cool, how did you go about wiring that, i have never seen anything like that
lbjshaq2345

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:00 am

If i'm not mistaken he used a meteor controller and instead of hooking up the tubes he put individual red green and blue LEDs. The controller comes with this kit. They make some interesting patterns, you'll need the RGB ones to make effects like his, and you can run two off one transformer. So buy two kits, and you can use the meteor tubes elsewhere while running your custom cupholder lights off one of the controllers icon_razz.gif It's the blue box in the kit. You can even use the Scion momentary switch sold here at Oz in replacement of the pattern selector switch, and the normal Scion switch sold here in replacement of the on/off switch included.
Chris

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:51 am

lbj is kind of right, in some ways.

I did use the meteor controller with red, green and blue LEDs.

However, you do not need the Red, Green, Blue meteor kit. Any will work just fine. After all, every meteor does the exact same thing.

Basically the meteor tube itself has 3 sections of 4 LEDs. The meteors are wired up similar to the Blaze kit though. Rather than having a common ground, they use a common positive.

Each section has its own ground which results in the ground being the 'switch'.

To make this easier, you could use the PREWIRED LEDS. You could then solder and shrink wrap all the positives together. Leave the individual grounds alone. They will be hooked up to 3 of the four wires off the ORIGINAL METEOR TUBE WIRING.

On the original meteor tube wiring, the blue wire is positive if I recall correctly.

The other three (Red,Yellow,Black I THINK) are the grounds. Hook the grounds from the LEDs to each wire. Red LED to red wire, blue to black and green to yellow.

Those red to red, etc. are just examples. Play around with them. Make red LED go to black wire to spice things up. It will only change the pattern of how the RGB LEDs are 'turned on'

There is 7 colors possible, but because of the meteors controller, you can only do 6. Red, Green, Blue, White, Yellow, Cyan, Purple.

With the changing of the ground wiring, ALL those colors are possible. I got rid of yellow on my headlights as it was too close to white.

Ill grab some pictures of my headlight wiring today for everyone. This will then be written on my website and in the tutorials section. Good LUCK!
tCFM08

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:57 am

do you have a link on where to get this
lbjshaq2345

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:29 pm

The meteor kit? I posted the link in my last post but here ya go. It's under the accent lighting section in the store.
PwrRngr

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:44 pm

I've never seen the meteor kits so I don't know how their wired. From what I understand there are 12 LEDs per tube and 2 tubes per controller? Meaning, I could hook up 8 set of LEDs (1 set equals 1 Red, 1 Green, and 1 Blue) per controller and still pull the same current out as the two tubes?

I'm looking to light up 15 bottles on my desk (each bottle with one set of LEDs) in the same fashion Chris did. Chris, would I need to order two meteor kits for this?
Losing quickly

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:08 pm

My cupholders:
User posted image

either 3 or 4, 5mm LED's in each
Chris

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:58 pm

PwrRngr wrote:
I've never seen the meteor kits so I don't know how their wired. From what I understand there are 12 LEDs per tube and 2 tubes per controller? Meaning, I could hook up 8 set of LEDs (1 set equals 1 Red, 1 Green, and 1 Blue) per controller and still pull the same current out as the two tubes?

I'm looking to light up 15 bottles on my desk (each bottle with one set of LEDs) in the same fashion Chris did. Chris, would I need to order two meteor kits for this?

Your best bet would be to order the dual meteor kit. That way, you have one controller and 2 of the wiring kits from the meteor tubes themselves. I know Phil used to carry them but has recently stopped carrying, well ordering new meteors.

I might have a couple of the dual blues laying around my dorm or room somewhere. If you want blue, let me know. I might have red too.

I have 12 LEDs in my headlights right now using one controller and 2 wiring kits. It works like a champ. Ill grab a video in a couple.
lbjshaq2345

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:04 pm

Anyway you could check the box for me n see the company they're made by?
It's like linksys.com or somethin, can't remember and all the kits I haven't installed yet are next door.
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:53 am
Page 1 of 1