Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

G35 Style Tail lights.

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:24 pm

Ok So Im new here but im in a dilemma

I made up some led boards to put in my tail lights but the only dilemma is that they dont dim and light as i want them to

They somewhat look like this..(not my car, only inspired from it..the owner is missing in action and cannot be found)

basically I want them to light up like g35 tail lights.

during the day when the brake is applied they turn on and they light up bright

but when the lights are on...they are dim but when the brake is applied. they are BRIGHT

I heard that you can use a PCM module but that didnt work for me

any input? i need help

I drive a nissan maxima 1997 by the way
corvettecrazy

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:42 pm

you have 2 choices for making them dim.

Lowering the voltage or PWM. (not PCM, which normally stands for powerterrain control module) a PWM (pulse width modulator) pulses the LED's at full voltage and you control their brightness by the pulse speed.

I've done both in the past and both are effective.
pelvaanali

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:26 pm

Any websites where i can buy this pwm?

ok its weird

I tried teh Pwm and i think it was wired wrong but it didnt work
pelvaanali

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:35 pm

pelvaanali wrote:
Any websites where i can buy this pwm?

ok its weird

I tried teh Pwm and i think it was wired wrong but it didnt work

oh and also..

the pwm that i used

there were two out puts...which wire goes where?

where does teh brake light go? (bright...when brake is applied)

and where the regular wire go for when the lights are just turned on (dim)
corvettecrazy

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:00 pm

well you should start by giving the info on the PWM you have. maybe a diagram on how you wired it.

edit and I used the Quickar one
http://www.quickar.com/tkit.php?session=O66wTsFL
pelvaanali

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:05 pm

corvettecrazy wrote:
well you should start by giving the info on the PWM you have. maybe a diagram on how you wired it.

edit and I used the Quickar one
http://www.quickar.com/tkit.php?session=O66wTsFL

yeah i used the same one...

The only thing was that you had to build it yourself. Maybe i'll put together some pics and post up later.
Aken

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:52 pm

pelvaanali wrote:

but when the lights are on...they are dim but when the brake is applied. they are BRIGHT

Umm, that sounds like a normal tail light operation to me, lol. Off during the day, dimmed for running lights, and bright for brake lights.
lbjshaq2345

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:51 pm

Yezzir, but he's trying to convert it from filament bulbs to his own custom board of LEDs. Seems like there could be some easier way to do it though..
Aken

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:23 pm

The way pelvaanali wrote it made it seem like that's what he had happening already with his LED lights.

Read about what this guy did, should help.
corvettecrazy

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:27 am

aken he already has everything he needs, he just needs to put it all together correctly so that it works.

A diagram on how he wired it is the first step to figuring out why it isn't working for him.
Rconce01

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:36 pm

I did exactly what you did I built a custom circuit board for my vette tail lights and strobed it out
; ) the way I achieved the dim effect is you run one wire to ground then you run the other to positive . you’ve done that so far . to get them dim simply add in series a 470 ohm resistor to the positive lead and it will dim the whole thing down 40% . So the parking lamp (dim signal will connect to this resistor then to the led circuit board, giving it a dim look. Then the actual brake light sigmal connects to the circuit board after the resistor so that the led’s light up full blast. You can call me and I’ll explain it toyou… what car is it for?

pelvaanali wrote:

I made up some led boards to put in my tail lights but the only dilemma is that they dont dim and light as i want them to

They somewhat look like this..(not my car, only inspired from it..the owner is missing in action and cannot be found)

any input? i need help

pelvaanali

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:01 pm

Rconce01 wrote:
I did exactly what you did I built a custom circuit board for my vette tail lights and strobed it out
; ) the way I achieved the dim effect is you run one wire to ground then you run the other to positive . you’ve done that so far . to get them dim simply add in series a 470 ohm resistor to the positive lead and it will dim the whole thing down 40% . So the parking lamp (dim signal will connect to this resistor then to the led circuit board, giving it a dim look. Then the actual brake light sigmal connects to the circuit board after the resistor so that the led’s light up full blast. You can call me and I’ll explain it toyou… what car is it for?

pelvaanali wrote:

any input? i need help

Its for a 1997 nissan maxima.

I was inspired by this picture...
Rconce01

Post Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:30 pm

pm sent
pelvaanali

Post Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:00 pm

Rconce01 wrote:
to get them dim simply add in series a 470 ohm resistor to the positive lead and it will dim the whole thing down 40% .

1/2 watt or 1/4 watt?
corvettecrazy

Post Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:10 pm

pelvaanali wrote:
Rconce01 wrote:
to get them dim simply add in series a 470 ohm resistor to the positive lead and it will dim the whole thing down 40% .

1/2 watt or 1/4 watt?

depends on your circuit design.
groundhog777

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:47 pm

I bought the quickar 3 channel pwm on ebay and it really sucked. Cheapest pots available, not like picture in auction and one of those nasty all soldet PCBs. The guy was really rude too and would'nt replace one of the pots that was very noisy
Black DX

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:38 pm

Sho-me 11.1005STT controller is for led tail lights, it's a Stop Tail and Turn controller. It takes inputs from running lights, brake lights, left and right turn lights. It has a simple two wire output for each side and it regulates the output based on what is connected, so a full bright led cluster will be dimmed when the running light gets power..... it also has the police strobe function to strobe the tails, good for show uses n what not. I've got this controller and it worked with prebuilt led tail light units with out an issue.
pelvaanali

Post Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:37 pm

Black DX wrote:
Sho-me 11.1005STT controller is for led tail lights, it's a Stop Tail and Turn controller. It takes inputs from running lights, brake lights, left and right turn lights. It has a simple two wire output for each side and it regulates the output based on what is connected, so a full bright led cluster will be dimmed when the running light gets power..... it also has the police strobe function to strobe the tails, good for show uses n what not. I've got this controller and it worked with prebuilt led tail light units with out an issue.

so hold up. This is all i need? Do I need one sho me controller per tail light?

will this also correct my cruise control dim problem?
Black DX

Post Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:30 pm

one unit works both tails, you need to wire it in more forward of the tail lights.

I have no clue on your "cruise control dim problem", I'm not sure what you are asking. This unit will when connected to the running lights turn on the tail lights but it will be dimmed down from the output when you hit the brakes if that's what you're asking...
pelvaanali

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:20 am

Black DX wrote:
one unit works both tails, you need to wire it in more forward of the tail lights.

I have no clue on your "cruise control dim problem", I'm not sure what you are asking. This unit will when connected to the running lights turn on the tail lights but it will be dimmed down from the output when you hit the brakes if that's what you're asking...

When my lights are off, my cruise control works. But when I turn on my lights, the cruise control doesnt turn on.

the only way I can see this being related to the tails is that when the lights are on and the cruise is on, to turn off the cruise you apply the brake pedal.
Black DX

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:26 pm

Is this when you are running th led tail lights or regular incandescents? If it's the led's than there could be a load issue (usually you'd get a "brake" light on the cluster if this was so), if it's under normal conditions than there is a short somewhere (possibly in the cruise control switch if it lights up) and I'd have to say taking it to a professional would be a better option than guessing...
justinwebb

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:36 pm

cant you only run so many led's on that....how does that work exactly
Black DX

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:35 pm

There is a 3 amp max load per channel, so yes there is a limit. On sho me's website it looks that their 80led prebuilt units are drawing 1amp max, this is the highest amp load I could find for a prebuilt unit so that'd be 6 total units (three for each channel) to get that maxed load...
pelvaanali

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:28 pm

Black DX wrote:
There is a 3 amp max load per channel, so yes there is a limit. On sho me's website it looks that their 80led prebuilt units are drawing 1amp max, this is the highest amp load I could find for a prebuilt unit so that'd be 6 total units (three for each channel) to get that maxed load...

do you have a link?
Black DX

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:11 pm

HERE is the .pdf instructions page, HERE is a brief description of the product and is where I got mine from, under the led flashers section in the list on the left ($22.43 + shipping).
justinwebb

Post Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:15 pm

do you have to use the prebuilt ones or can you wire up your own leds and it still work....i am thinking about trying this with the civic...would i still need to use resistors?
Black DX

Post Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:52 pm

The unit is designed around 12volt led clusters, the main thing to worry about is getting to and going over the 3 amp load per side. I tested the controller (and if it ever gets warm and dry for a week end strait I'll install it) first with just a led plug n play bulb, then one tail, then two, then all four and it didn't seem to be effected but I'm not entirely sure what the load rating of the prebuilt units are.

Basically you' can build your led tails as you would normally but not have to mess about with the assembly to do dimming. The only thing I'm not sure of is how to exactly measure load before building the cluster, I would assume it would be the milliamp ratings of each led (or led set depending on how you wired them) added together but I've not done this to be sure.
justinwebb

Post Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:16 pm

looking to wire up the civic with a ton of leds in the tails kinda like the caddy tails now or perhaps similar to the one above...just looking at using lots of leds is my only problem right now...thanks for the info man
Black DX

Post Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:13 pm

well if you go off numbers, the prebuilt sho me units that I mentioned are 80 led units of 1amp each, so you'd have 240 led's per channel... I have a feeling that unless you are doing an AZDAVE eclipse mega led tail light install, you should be fine.

This is a picture of the tail lights I'm using, they're s-flux style led's over regular 3 or 5mm units as well as the running light input has a puse width modulator on them (strobes the led's to create the effect of dimming over simple resistance) and even with both wires connected I had zero issue with the controller:
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 10:14 pm
Page 1 of 1