Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Crazy cop

Author
Message
lbjshaq2345

Joined: Jul 11 2007
Posts: 1524
Location: Jonesborough, TN


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:35 pm

EDITED TITLE FOR YOU. Please make title about the topic and not just for an attention getter. Thanks.

Is it illegal to move out of a cops way?
Because that's what just happened..
Two lane divided highway, behind another car. Doing the speed limit with cruise control set. Cop flies by with his lights on and I move to go around this car. Don't speed up but I start to come even with him. Another cop flies up behind me with his lights on the whole way. I speed up to get around the other car and move out of his way and slow back down. Cops doesnt pass me..waits a second..moves behind me and pulls me over right in front of a speed limit sign (45). I took a picture real quick just in case.

He comes up real quick and another car pulls up in the mean time. Hand him license registration proof of insurance of course.. I'm pretty puzzled at this point, thinking if this is for speeding its ridiculous and decided it was probably for not signaling when I changed lanes.

He's taking forever so I start the car back up (not the engine just the level to where I can turn the heat on. In my side mirror I see the possibly the craziest thing ever. This cop hears the compressor start up and apparently thinks I'm gonna take off. He sprints to my car and draws his gun mid-stride and when he gets to my window he sticks it right to my neck and screams "PARK THE CAR!" I pointed to the shifter and told him I hadn't started the car just turned the heat on. He looks at me for a second and tells me to take my seatbelt off, re-holsters his gun, and walks back to his car.

About twenty minutes later he returns to the car saying he had a ticket for me going 43 in a 40. I knew I was going faster, but thought that was pretty weird. Then I remembered the speed limit was 45 all the way down that highway.. I point to the sign I pulled over in front of and he goes "O...hold on.." and walks back to his car..

Comes back about 5 minutes later and says he has a ticket for me going 64 in a 45..
At this point I felt the urge to bust out laughing...

1. I wasn't going anywhere near that fast even when I sped up to get around the car beside me.
2. He spazzed on me because I didn't like freezing and he doesn't know what a car starting sounds like.
3. I had to correct him on the speed limit.
4. He exaggerates my speed so he won't look so bad if for some reason I don't challenge the ticket.
5. He offers me a dip after he tells me the "updated" infraction.

At this point I'm assuming that this cop is drunk.
When I can regain my composure, I just looked at him for a second hoping he would take off his sunglasses so I could see his eyes (it's nighttime mind you). Didn't so I signed the little box and look at the ticket and he's listed my car as a 2008 White Toyota Zion.
Again bust into laughter and he walks off. He speeds off and keeps his lights on all the way down the road just cruisin.... Stopping at red lights and everything..
kornholio788

Joined: May 02 2005
Posts: 9748
Location: Tosa, WI


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:28 pm

Take it to court. Call his boss. That is rediculous. You cant just change the speed that he had you at. That is completely rediculous. I am going to start voice recording each time i get pulled over. When he walks up show him the recorder and tell him what i am doing. That way when dumb **** like this happens. I have my ass covered.


Last edited by kornholio788 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total
mccook8

Joined: Jun 01 2004
Posts: 744


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:46 am

1. A 2-lane divided highway with a 45 mph speed limit is just weird.
2. People obeying the speed limit on such a weird highway is even weirder.
3. Some cars' engines are very quiet, and cops are not experts on engine sounds.
4. As strange as it may seem, some people are actually crazy enough to run from the police.
5. On DMV computers, Scions are registered as Toyotas, just like Geos are registered as Chevys. Some states don't list model names/numbers at all.
6. Scan the ticket, photoshop out your personal information, and post it up.
Chris

Joined: Sep 27 2004
Posts: 2395
Location: NY


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:45 am

whoa! Mccook!! Where have you been?!
mccook8

Joined: Jun 01 2004
Posts: 744


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:15 pm

Chris wrote:
whoa! Mccook!! Where have you been?!


Mostly MySpace.

But I'm back here, for now.
kramer13
Oznium Employee

Joined: Jun 20 2004
Posts: 3744
Location: Baltimore, MD


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:26 am

kornholio788 wrote:
When he walks up show him the recorder and tell him what i am doing. That way when dumb **** like this happens. I have my ass covered.


Why show him that your recording? Before it walks up, start the recorder, state the date, time, location, and type of officer (state/city/county) that is pulling you over.

In WA state, it is legal to record someones audio as long as 1 person knows it is happening. Kinda silly, but its the same reason why "dog" the bounty hunter is in trouble. The other guy knew if was recording.
kornholio788

Joined: May 02 2005
Posts: 9748
Location: Tosa, WI


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:37 am

^^ I always thought it was illegal to record a conversation with out the other person knowing about it. That is why i would show it to him becuase if it is illegal to do it without letting him know. Then i could get in trouble and nothing would happen to him. Then it completey negates the fact of me doing it in the first place.
alienyoungjr

Joined: Apr 30 2004
Posts: 4654
Location: Texas


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:48 am

same in Texas, you can record the conversation as long as one party involved in the conversation knows. It's illegal if no party in the conversation knows.
ImagoX

Joined: Aug 24 2006
Posts: 2124
Location: Columbus, Ohio


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:16 pm

This is weird... but it's precisely why traffic court exists. I'll bet you money that the cop never shows up to defend the ticket. Sucks for you, since you have to take time off to go to court, though.
kramer13
Oznium Employee

Joined: Jun 20 2004
Posts: 3744
Location: Baltimore, MD


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:36 pm

Yep, just one party has to know about it.
mx107marlin

Joined: Aug 12 2007
Posts: 3095
Location: Fairborn, OH


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:39 pm

kornholio788 wrote:
^^ I always thought it was illegal to record a conversation with out the other person knowing about it. That is why i would show it to him becuase if it is illegal to do it without letting him know. Then i could get in trouble and nothing would happen to him. Then it completey negates the fact of me doing it in the first place.


The purpose of the law being worded like that is to prevent eavesdropped recordings.

For example, if SickWitIt and I are having a conversation, it would be illegal for you to record it without either of us knowing. If I'm the one recording though, it's perfectly legal for me to do so without telling SickWitIt....

So it DOES have a purpose......it's just different
kornholio788

Joined: May 02 2005
Posts: 9748
Location: Tosa, WI


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:04 pm

OOOO ok. I just had the law mixed up. My fault. In that case i SHALL be recording each and every time i get pulled. That way If dumb stuff like this happens I have my half covered. Because that is rediculous. "I'm ticketing you for 43 in a 40. But the speed limit is 45. Ok then 64 in a 45". That is absolutly INSANE. I would have asked for his badge number and everything and called him in right there. Absolutly rediculous. I would also have a news channel on the other line because obvoiusly he didnt clock you at anything. I would def go to court and plead not guilty and ask for some action to be taken on HIM. That is stupid.
zanson

Joined: Feb 28 2007
Posts: 907


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:58 pm

wow thats just messed up man... def take that to court.


wow... such BS.

there was no reason for him to pull you over anyways, you were getting out of his way.
Golfer

Joined: Aug 23 2004
Posts: 1290
Location: Milwaukee, WI


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:30 pm

I agree its **** and it sucks, but you will most likely be paying it. No one will believe that story, and by going to court you might get the points dropped, but you are still paying that ticket either way.... Without proof, it is just your word vs his, and even if he doesn't show up, that piece of paper is his word, and his word > yours all day long.
djtecthreat

Joined: Jan 21 2007
Posts: 1128


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:02 pm

If this is true, then its a good example of what happens when people on our tax dime are bored.
The_Mastor

Joined: Jan 23 2006
Posts: 4195
Location: Idaho


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:25 pm

I have to agree with Golfer, without evidence, you are paying for it. Cops can get away with anything unless you shove proof otherwise.

I am in awe though at how much **** that is in the first place.

And mccook, I'm pretty sure he was reffering to the "Zion" part, not the Toyota part.
02BlueStang

Joined: Dec 13 2004
Posts: 4757


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:54 pm

welcome back MCCOOK..missed ya man....

sounds like the cop felt you were failing to yield to an emergency vehicle...but why he didnt write the ticket for that im not sure....

To pull you over for speeding is pretty uncomprehendable considering he was coming up behind you with lights and siren and would have been unable to record your speed accurately by pacing your vehicle....

If what you say really did occur then its a joke what the officer did....Def take it to court but like was said its your word against his and in a court of law he is a sworn officer but they do have to prove REASONABLE evidence you committed the infraction....

Ticket should say how he clocked you....do all of us a favor and scan it or take a digi pic of it and post it up.....if you do go to court make sure you subpeona the officer...he may not even show up because he knows its a bogus ticket
mx107marlin

Joined: Aug 12 2007
Posts: 3095
Location: Fairborn, OH


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:52 pm

If you challenge it and the cop doesn't show, don't you win by default....

And Korn, make sure when you do that, that you pull him into incriminating himself with stupidity..
kornholio788

Joined: May 02 2005
Posts: 9748
Location: Tosa, WI


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:36 pm

"Do you know why I pulled you over."
"For Ridin' Dirty"
"meow what is so damn funny"
"I DID NOT have sexual relations with that women."
"STEP OUT OF THE CAR"
"WHAT!!! You wanna get but naked and wrestle???"

OOO YEEAAAA ....I cant wait
Golfer

Joined: Aug 23 2004
Posts: 1290
Location: Milwaukee, WI


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:21 pm

mx107marlin wrote:
If you challenge it and the cop doesn't show, don't you win by default....

And Korn, make sure when you do that, that you pull him into incriminating himself with stupidity..



No, That isn't how it works. 95% of traffic violations like speeding a cop will never show up. Isn't worth there time. All they do is reduce your points (at least in WI we have a point system), and send you on your way. Basically making it not affect insurance/your license, but you will still be paying the same, or close to it.
mx107marlin

Joined: Aug 12 2007
Posts: 3095
Location: Fairborn, OH


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:35 pm

I was thinking that you were found "not guilty" if there wasn't a defense.....

Oh well, I'm betting you guys know better than I do.
chicagosfinest

Joined: Oct 08 2005
Posts: 566
Location: Orlando


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:01 am

Golfer wrote:
mx107marlin wrote:
If you challenge it and the cop doesn't show, don't you win by default....

And Korn, make sure when you do that, that you pull him into incriminating himself with stupidity..



No, That isn't how it works. 95% of traffic violations like speeding a cop will never show up. Isn't worth there time. All they do is reduce your points (at least in WI we have a point system), and send you on your way. Basically making it not affect insurance/your license, but you will still be paying the same, or close to it.


I believe it's different in different states. When I contested and the officer didn't show I got less points.. however, I've heard of people having their cases dropped.

It's part of the officers job to show up to court, and often the judge doesn't like the fact that the officer "had better things to do".
PwrRngr

Joined: Jul 19 2007
Posts: 4407


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:43 am

Golfer wrote:
mx107marlin wrote:
If you challenge it and the cop doesn't show, don't you win by default....

And Korn, make sure when you do that, that you pull him into incriminating himself with stupidity..



No, That isn't how it works. 95% of traffic violations like speeding a cop will never show up. Isn't worth there time. All they do is reduce your points (at least in WI we have a point system), and send you on your way. Basically making it not affect insurance/your license, but you will still be paying the same, or close to it.


In IN, if you show up to the court on the set date and the cop doesn't, you win by default. No paying the ticket, no points. It's as if the ticket was never written.
02BlueStang

Joined: Dec 13 2004
Posts: 4757


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:03 pm

in some states those witnesses that are subpeonad and do not show up the case is dismissed even in traffic infractinos..WA state, you dont show, they walk...Does depend on the judge, but you can repeal the finding and usually it will be thrown out...

Cops make mistakes all the time on tickets, which is why if you hire a lawyer they can almost always get you off...
alienyoungjr

Joined: Apr 30 2004
Posts: 4654
Location: Texas


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:17 pm

Here is the next secret. If you do go to court, and you loose, and the court doesn't take records then you might be able to appeal your conviction. The appealate court may throw out your case because there is not records from the municipal court. This may not work in every state, county, city, but you might have a chance if your court didn't take records of the proceedings.
lbjshaq2345

Joined: Jul 11 2007
Posts: 1524
Location: Jonesborough, TN


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:37 pm

Well went to court for this one monday. Sat through everyone's case. Last one in the courtroom..lady walks up and asks why I'm there. Handed her the ticket, she goes and runs it and says it hasn't been turned it yet.. They're gonna call and reset the court date when/if they can find the ticket...
SunfireX

Joined: Jun 30 2006
Posts: 5
Location: Houston, TX


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:19 am

It would have been really funny had you not said a thing and taken the ticket for 43 in a 40 to court with a picture that the speed limit sign was 45, lol. Stupid Donut Eaters.
Drifting10

Joined: May 28 2007
Posts: 1908
Location: St.Joseph, Illinois


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:20 am

SunfireX wrote:
Whats the use of a sports car, if its automatic? Manual, all the way!



Here Here!!! pirate.gif
djtecthreat

Joined: Jan 21 2007
Posts: 1128


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:18 pm

[quote="Drifting10"]
SunfireX wrote:
Whats the use of a sports car, if its automatic? Manual, all the way!



Eh, My new automatic will school a stock manual all day long. AND.. I can put it in "Drive" and have sex in the front seat while driving because the automatic transmission shifts for me.
PwrRngr

Joined: Jul 19 2007
Posts: 4407


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:58 pm

[quote="djtecthreat"]
Drifting10 wrote:
SunfireX wrote:
Whats the use of a sports car, if its automatic? Manual, all the way!



Eh, My new automatic will school a stock manual all day long. AND.. I can put it in "Drive" and have sex in the front seat while driving because the automatic transmission shifts for me.


meh, comparing same car to car the manual will be faster (in theory) because their's less power loss in the transmission. In reality, most people don't know how to drive their manual so it ends up being about even. But a dual clutch transmission would be better than both icon_twisted.gif
Fo_SheeZy

Joined: Sep 05 2007
Posts: 1075
Location: Johnson City, TN


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:19 pm

lol is this the johnson city police, washington county police, or state trooper??
SickWitIt

Joined: Aug 03 2006
Posts: 5840
Location: Piqua, Ohio


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:45 pm

Yeah, any updates on this case?
lbjshaq2345

Joined: Jul 11 2007
Posts: 1524
Location: Jonesborough, TN


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:43 pm

None, no calls about it or anything. And this was Jonesborough city police
Fo_SheeZy

Joined: Sep 05 2007
Posts: 1075
Location: Johnson City, TN


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:38 am

lol God the Jonesborough police will pull you over for anything, whenever I'm in Jonesborough I drive no more than 5mph over the speed limit because they are everywhere running radar.. lol I'm good friend's with the Jonesborough police chief's son, Jesse, what's the name of the officer? Maybe I can tell him about it then he can talk to his dad... that is unless you've already got it under control.
BLAZER_97

Joined: Apr 10 2007
Posts: 1565
Location: Decatur TX


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:52 am

Weird icon_confused.gif
lbjshaq2345

Joined: Jul 11 2007
Posts: 1524
Location: Jonesborough, TN


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:09 pm

Well I'm good unless they "find" the ticket. Sposed to call if they do, but I made a copy of the school excuse they wrote with the date on it so they couldn't say some **** like I never showed up for court.
The time now is Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:18 pm
Page 1 of 1