Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

LED Strip Eyelid or Brow install?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:44 am

I have been reading posts on here for the past 3 days and I have yet to come across the install and mounting if at all possible of the flexible led strips to a headlight as a eyelid/eyebrow as posted in the pics of the flexible leds?

I am leaning towards 3m double sided tape, but is unsure of how the tape will show on a headlight in the daytime.

Any thoughts? I am thinking of mounting the strip right below the eyelid in the picture...

I want to install a 9.5" on this, I measured it out and it'll fit nicely without cutting.

kornholio788

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:26 pm

Wait are you planning on putting the strip inside your headlight behind the eyelid? Or below the eye lid so the leds are visable on the outside or on the inside??. Are you just trying to get glow in your headlight??

I am not so sure what all your looking for here.
kpjimmy

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:47 pm

Thanks for replying. And sorry for not being clear on my side, my fault.

What I intend to do is try to mount the leds on the outside and right below the eyelid.
Tim

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:52 pm

Outside = No
kornholio788

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:54 pm

No worries dude. And welcome to oznium.

As for th leds I personally wouldnt like it. But I am the type of glower that HATES seeing the light source. I just like seeing the glow. But you may like it. I dont think anyone has done something like that but I am not sure. But they will be mounted on the outside I personally think it wouldnt look good. As they would just be sittin there out in the open. Plus I kinda doubt that the 3m tape could hold those stips on with you car speeds and the wind that they will encounter with the stips sittin up like that. But if you would like to try it then please do. And make sure you take pictures and post them for the rest of us to see. We always like to see some creativity and someone trying something new.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. But try and search for it first. If nothing comes up then gives us a holler.

Thanks

Dan
ImagoX

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:58 pm

Can you get inside the actual lamp housing, under that top "brow" piece? I agree that an external, visible mounting would look very, very amateur, would probably fall off in short order and would expose the glow source, which would probably get you an immediate ticket (colored lights that are not an approved turn signal or driving/marker light are a no-no). Even hiding the LEDs (assuming you can), you'll still have to be wary of a colored light violation (depending on the color you choose) so be careful.

If I had your lights, I'd be thinking about Phil's CFL ring lights and not LEDs... a series of CFLs in there, ringing each light element, would be really something to see... icon_cool.gif
kpjimmy

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! All taken to account. As for the CFL's. They look awesome, but I don't really have the time to bake open my headlights. Because if I did, I will be anal as all hell and not leave the house until I am done with it! LOL

Well as for the led's to be showing, I am going to agree that "seeing" the LEDs will look tacky. Thanks for not burning my britches on that one, hehe...

I may just use double sided tape and insert the leds right underneath the exteriour eyelid that you see there. I plan on tapping into the leads that run the sidemarker so when they are lit, so will the led's under the eyelid. No leds to see, but probably not to tacky.

Oh and I plan on getting the amber color. They are legal, I believe because my flashers are amber along with my sidemarkers....
ImagoX

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:21 pm

I'd still take the time to bake open the lamps, if that's really where you want the glow. Anything worth doing, especially on a nice car, is worth doing right.

Also, you might be able to get away with drilling the housings and inserting LEDs in the tops of the housings, shining down... Lots of people do that with blue or green LEDs, and it looks pretty good. Use Superflux LEDs if you can drill a large enough hole -they're quite bright. The brow thingie MAY hide the LEDs from direct view (it's hard to tell from your photo, but you can easily see in-person I suspect). It won't be as bright, but I'd worry about the glare from an entire strip of LEDs anyway... Amber LEDs are pretty dim compared to, say, blue or white, and the color is sort of yellow as opposed to orange, but they CAN be tinted with red Sharpie if the color is not to your liking.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
kornholio788

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:22 pm

Your welcome. Ya puttin the leds under the eyelid would def look better. Just make sure they dont push the eyelid up too much. That would look kinda tacky also. And yes the amber should be perfectly legal. Good luck and be sure to post pics

Thanks

Dan
kpjimmy

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:30 pm

Yea, I'll test fit them first and who the hell knows? I may just put them behind my grille! Now that may not be legal tho hehe...
Aken

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:07 pm

I wouldn't use the flexible LED strips for that application. They'd stick out and look odd. If anything, I'd use the thin LED strip. Black housing, super thing = better.
kpjimmy

Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:10 pm

OK, finally got a chance to wire the suckers up and take some quick pics. I will be taking more later, but I wanted to let everyone know that I did do it. Also would like to thank everyone for their feedback! icon_biggrin.gif

Here are some pics...
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:17 am

Yeah. That doesnt look half bad dude. Excellent job :)

2 thumbs up :thumbsup:
kpjimmy

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:25 am

Thanks for the feedback!
kpjimmy

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:43 pm

Updated pics!
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
Cooper

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:05 pm

Nice subtle accent, well done . icon_smile.gif
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 8:34 am
Page 1 of 1