Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

SuperFlux LED Piranha Bars - Destined to be great?

Author
Owner, Oznium.com

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:35 am

Are these going to be the next big thing? I have a good feeling about them. The price is at a perfect sweet-spot for the amazing amount of light output, and EASE of install.

Key Facts:
- 20 inches long
- Jam packed full of 30 SuperFlux LEDs
- Plug and play "link-ability"

So I got an email from a friend in China talking about these amazing "cannibal fish". I was confused as hell. But then I realized, oh, he must be talking about Piranha's. And I know Piranha's are a type of SuperFlux LED. Crazy translators!

Names are a funny thing. We've got the Beefy LED strips. I often joke we should add some Chicken Strips icon_smile.gif

These 20-inch Pirahna Bars at only $15.99 are brighter and cheaper than a comparable 19-inch Flexible LED strip at $18.49! They hook up to any 12 volt source, and once you have the first unit powered, you can keep "marching them along" like building blocks because of the quick connectors on each end.

What they aren't:
- Not waterproof - But could easily be waterproofed with some silicone on either end
- Not flexible

User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image

Fit some under the dash. You think 20" is too long? Measure, you'll likely have room. You could always run it at an angle.

Fit some in the engine bay. Just silicone up the ends.

Or make your own crazy underbody kit!

PRODUCT PAGE: https://www.oznium.com/linear-lights/piranha-bar
The_Mastor

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:48 am

I think warm white should be yellow and yellow should be orange. Unless these pics mess up color bad.

Looks like a nice product. Any light output shots or comparison with other products?
Aken

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:05 am

The warm white looks really yellow in the photos. In person they are very similar to a standard incandescent bulb - yellowish white.

The yellow also look more orange than they do in person.
Losing quickly

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:30 am

hmmm...those do look pretty neat. I bet the sale of cathodes has gone down the drain since you have introduced LED strips, and now, these. If they were about 12 inches long, they would make a great replacement for cathodes under your seat, or you could shove them under the dash.
blktbon20s

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:57 am

i dig them..but they seem kinda long to me..what about offering them in two sizes?
like 10 and 20"? i know theres no way in hell i can fit a 20" non flexible tube under my dash or seats
itzbjorn

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:24 am

Whatever you do, don't get rid of the longer sizes...
Cyber Knight

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:33 am

Thos e look really good, and nice price! We need wavelength tech specs to color match with existing lighting!
kornholio788

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:25 am

While these are very cool and would be probably brighter then the flex strips. I dont see them taking over. The flex strips are damn near perfect. You can bend them and they are damn near indestructable, water proof and you can put them ANYWHERE. For the extra 3 bucks sorry but ill stick to the strips philbo. They are just too good of a product. Perfect for almost ANYTHING. These would be nice for some things but like i said. Flex strips is still your #1 product by far and for good reason. These just dont have the..ugh cant think of the word...umm flexability when it comes to installs. No pun intended biglaugh.gif . Like I said. Yea they will be brighter but I see these as being a great item but it wont be huge. The flex stip has way more plusses than minuses. Nice product though and I might have to buy one and test it out and play with it. These would probably make nice grill lights.

EDIT..that plug and play idea is DAMN cool though and that is a very cool idea.

The korny one
pOrk

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:49 am

These don't look very bright.
corvettecrazy

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:56 am

pOrk wrote:
These don't look very bright.

exactly what I was thinking.
lbjshaq2345

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:00 am

I like.. still trying to convince myself I can use them though.. Thought about grill glow.. I dunno. If I don't like the waterproof thin strips I'll be testing out soon I might pick up one to test. Definitely a great product though.
ImagoX

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:59 am

The lack of flexibility is a negative IMHO, as is their lack of waterproofing. A HUGE plus is the daisy-chain ability, though, but that can be replicated in flex strips with a 2-port molex connector. Comments on brightness based on photos mean NOTHING - images can be under- or over-exposed in the camera or in post-processing - we'd need hard numbers from a light measurement device to compare apples to apples. I'm sure you'll get us those data, though, knowing you, Phil. Also the rounded covers and flat backs mean that instllation looks easy.

I'm curious about how the light angle of these stacks up to the Flex Strips though... I used Flexies in a friend's car under the seats and dash, and felt the directionality of the 5MMs in the Strips was a drawback as oppsed to cathodes (whoch give out 360-degree light). How do the Cannibal Fish (heh) stack up in this area? If you need a test vehicle, you know I'm pricing out LEDs to "bluminate" Nano v2.0, and I'd be willing to use these over Flex Strips and document it thoroughly if you like - LMK.

Thanks, Phil!
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:06 pm

They fit just fine in my highlander under the dash & the seat!

User posted image
User posted image

The brightness is very close, but the piranha is a bit brighter than the flex strip!
User posted image

Piranha on the left, 19" flex strip on the right (stuck to another piranha bar to keep it straight)
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
kornholio788

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:10 pm

Sorry philbo but they arent really any brighter. The flex stips are almost indestructable and have WAY more mounting possiblities. The flex strips are WELL worth the extra 3 bucks. Well worth it imo.
The_Mastor

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:34 pm

He's showing off a new product that brings new things up, not trying to convince you to switch your favorite item dude icon_rolleyes.gif You don't have to shut him down every time he posts. I am still an Iceled fan but I find these a pretty nice addition to the Oznium line. Of course seeing them in person would be the defining factor.
lbjshaq2345

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:44 pm

Someone hurry and do an install with em icon_razz.gif
kornholio788

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:45 pm

The_Mastor wrote:
He's showing off a new product that brings new things up, not trying to convince you to switch your favorite item dude icon_rolleyes.gif You don't have to shut him down every time he posts. I am still an Iceled fan but I find these a pretty nice addition to the Oznium line. Of course seeing them in person would be the defining factor.

WOW..ummmm icon_rolleyes.gif wow...

I'm not cutting down on the product. I am simply telling that one of HIS other products will be better seller than this. How am I shutting him down. Trust me a seller would much rather have people say that they would buy the flex strips over the fishies than to have everone say OMG BEST THING EVER adn lie and say they will forsure buy one. Then have phil stock a butload of them and no one buys them. Sometimes products just arent as good as others. Tis buisness. Thats the way it works. I talk to phil all the time about his products and the store and just random stuff. He knows I am not just trying to shoot him down about everything. Make the fishies flexable like the flex stips. Then i would get on one knee. I just dont see this product being as good as the flex strips. Sorry if the truth hurts but thats just it..the truth. Which I am sure he would much rather have.
ImagoX

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:59 pm

Definitely looks like a bit more output, and in a wider spread (but that might be an exposure thing form the added brightness) from the one on the left...

User posted image

Maybe it's being diffused differently? Either way, I'd like to try these in my MINI - my installation points in the cabin are straight and get no moisture, so it's doable. In the engine bay, I think I'll stick to Flex Strips - _ need a bit of curve in there to mount them where I want, and I like the total weatherproofness and heat resistance of silicone for that space. 20" might be too long for the dash, and it's DEFINITELY too long for my seats, though - shorter lengths would be preferred...

For UB, I still need to use flexible Beefy Strips, though... I need a product that has minimal LED visibility from the sides, flexibility and major water resistance, and the Beefies fit that bill perfectly.
Q45guy

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:46 pm

What I would like to know is if the individual LEDs are 20ma or 80ma? In otherwords, single chip or 4-chip?
clutch1

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:03 pm

Flex strips aren't indestructableby any means at all. I've had half of one of my 38" million color color strips fail (it works, but you need to move it around because the connection is messed up).

Plus for under a dash, or even better, in a grill, these are perfect. Why bother spending an extra 3 bucks for a flex strip when you don't need the flex.

I'll consider them, possible for the engine, possibly to replace the cathodes under my seats and dash and in my grill, who knows. I like the looks of this product a lot though.
ImagoX

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:06 pm

clutch1 wrote:
Flex strips aren't indestructableby any means at all.

Mine ran 2" from a hot engine in rain, snow and other bad weather for over a year. That's good enough for me. The wires feel flimsy, they really do, and that's why I reinforced them with tape wrap and well thought-our routing.

I never used the million-color though, just single color.
blktbon20s

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:21 pm

Might fit the Highlander but the Explorers hardly have any room..was trying to use a 12" neon tube i had laying around to make a LED tube and it didn't fit..10" is the biggest i can go and seems it might be kinda of a universal size. also the seats i hardly have 8" they are electric and heat seats so theres a bunch of wires under it
I really like the fact that it has a wider pattern..i would most def. pick up 2 to put under my rear seats and maybe the grill
SickWitIt

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:00 pm

Q45guy wrote:
What I would like to know is if the individual LEDs are 20ma or 80ma? In otherwords, single chip or 4-chip?

I think all superfluxes are 4-chip right? Not sure myself, but leaning towards 4-chip.
corvettecrazy

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:01 pm

SickWitIt wrote:
Q45guy wrote:

I think all superfluxes are 4-chip right? Not sure myself, but leaning towards 4-chip.

not not all of them are
SickWitIt

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:02 pm

corvettecrazy wrote:
SickWitIt wrote:
Q45guy wrote:

not not all of them are

Thanks for clearing that up. Q45guy, contact Phil through the Oznium contact page, or wait for a response. Sorry to clutter thread.

On Topic: Like the idea Phil. May try some of these in the near future.
clutch1

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:34 pm

ImagoX wrote:
clutch1 wrote:
Flex strips aren't indestructableby any means at all.

Mine ran 2" from a hot engine in rain, snow and other bad weather for over a year. That's good enough for me. The wires feel flimsy, they really do, and that's why I reinforced them with tape wrap and well thought-our routing.

I never used the million-color though, just single color.

Cold seems to be a big enemy, they get brittle and crack and stuff. I changed my wheels from summer to winter tonight, and respositioned my wheel whell flex strips, they resisted flexing quite a lot, lol.
Turned out that all 4 of them have problems, 3 have about 12" on the ends that turns off depending on how you have it moved, and on 1 all the red leds are out (I checked my wiring over, and it's not that).

Grrr, they'll work for now though!
Max
Oznium Employee

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:25 pm

These Piranha Bars can easily be cut into any combination of sizes. They are sold in 20" increments, but don't let that inhibit your imagination.

The circuit board easily slides out from the acrylic shield.

The circuit board can be cut every 3 LED's or every 2 inches!

User posted image

User posted image
The acrylic shield is a little trickier to cut. You could probably use a hack saw, but I recommend using a circular saw.

Notice the crack, this happened when I tried cutting it with a different tool

then put it back together!

User posted image

2 x 10 inch Piranha Bars in 5 minutes!

User posted image

If you need them to be waterproof, try the SMD bars: https://www.oznium.com/linear-lights/smd-bar

These are modular and can be cut the same way!

Losing quickly

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:28 pm

ahhh...thats better
PwrRngr

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:58 pm

Max, after cutting these can they still be daisy chained? I'm assuming it would just require re-soldering the connector to the "new" end. I would just like to make sure.
kornholio788

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:06 pm

NOW we are getting some where. Much better. What would make these uber badass is if you had like quick connects in them so you could easily make it 10in or 16 or 20 or what ever. That would make me buy these in an instant.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:15 pm

Pwr. I would think they would, they have the + and - solder spots on the ends.

Maybe these would be good for my waterbed icon_biggrin.gif
Max
Oznium Employee

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:34 pm

Pwr. Yes the circuit board is a lot like that of the Ribbon LED Strips.

User posted image
banned from SG

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:29 pm

Bad ass dude. Never seen you before now but Welcome Max.
matttail

Post Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:54 am

Can you tell me what kind of amperage this bad boys draws (power source is from car's 12v)? I'm working out a project to use the two I already bought and hook them up to a dimmer switch - but I need to know how many watts it has to be able to handle. Thanks!
PwrRngr

Post Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:54 am

There are 30 superflux LEDs per bar. They can be cut every 3 LEDs which tells me there are 3 LEDs in series and then each "branch" is in parallel.

So there are 10 parallel branches. Each branch pulls 80mA. So a total of 800mA (0.8A) is pulled for each piranha bar.
mx107marlin

Post Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:25 pm

PwrRngr... I dunno if those are 80mA LED's or not... from the pictures, I doubt that they're 4-chip LED's...

Probably 2-chip or single chip superfluxes... so 20-40mA
PwrRngr

Post Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:58 pm

mx107marlin wrote:
PwrRngr... I dunno if those are 80mA LED's or not... from the pictures, I doubt that they're 4-chip LED's...

Probably 2-chip or single chip superfluxes... so 20-40mA

You could very well be right as I have never actually seen the piranha bars in person. I just saw that the product page said "30 superflux LEDs" and assumed they were the 4-chip once. I searched the FAQ quickly and didn't see a current draw on there. Either way that would be the maximum current draw.

I guess I'm in a slump lately. First I can't do a basic voltage drop across a resistor and now this. icon_confused.gif
mx107marlin

Post Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:50 pm

Haha, you're alright... I have never seen a piranha bar in person either, but I do know that there are single, 2, 3, and 4-chip Superflux LED's

That's just as much as I know though, they may be 4-chip. I think someone should clarify that for us icon_biggrin.gif
bad venge

Post Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:09 pm

I've got one being shipped so we will see when I get it ...
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:17 pm

Do a search on Piranha LEDS...
mx107marlin

Post Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:48 pm

After a little research, I believe they're 2-chip 20mA LED's

Don't quote me on that though...
alienyoungjr

Post Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:02 pm

most piranha are 20ma unless they are cheapos or more than 2-chip
blue one

Post Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:37 am

hope to see some action shots with these on some rides soon.
bad venge

Post Fri May 16, 2008 6:13 pm

This was my car at the Carlisle glow off
NOT my video ... The rear is ONE bar in the rear window
SickWitIt

Post Fri May 16, 2008 11:58 pm

Not a very good video.
bad venge

Post Sat May 17, 2008 3:16 pm

Yes I got nautious watching it ...
pOrk

Post Sat May 17, 2008 3:49 pm

I installed one of these in my grille, two days later the tube cracket and I'm not so sure it works anymore. Not very durable...
thedivinecomedy

Post Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:38 pm

Bought this bar to make into a 3rd brake light. I am also running LED tails.

The problem is that when I plug the bar in, its throwing VSC/ABS/TRAC OFF lights on along with the bar on and the tails as if I turned the parking lights on. When I push the brakes, they all brighten up. If I put the orginal bulb in, everything works fine and none of the VSC/ABS/ect. lights come on. To me that would mean its thinking the "bulb" is burned out/not there. What do I need to work?
Q45guy

Post Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:22 pm

It sounds like the voltage is too low for the sensors in the circuit. You may want to add one of those LED resistor packs to clear things up.
thedivinecomedy

Post Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:40 pm

Can you explain that a little more. What excatly do I need to get and do? Im new to the LED thing. Thanks!
addiction2bass

Post Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:58 pm

so which is better..... flexstrips of these?

im curious since these look brighter than flexstrips.... do they hold up as well as the flexstrips?

i still need to buy lights for my sides of my civic to complete my UB... and if the greens both match from the flexstrips and these piranha lights then these piranhas might just be better and about same price.
thedivinecomedy

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:50 am

What ohms does the bar run at? I asked Oznium themself and they didnt know what I was talking about.
lbjshaq2345

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:33 pm

I don't think anyone does... but to addiction2bass (whose Civic I love btw) They are brighter than flexstrips, but you would have to waterproof them. They use more powerful LEDs than flexstrips.
addiction2bass

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:52 pm

thanks. i just got done kinda updating my gallery ;) im sure im missing something on the update but better than nothing.

not to worried about waterproofing the tubes. shouldnt be hard at all with some clear silicone... but if the color is off from the flexstrips i might as well just buy matching flexstrips and be alittle dimmer.
robbie

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:11 pm

Addiction man you rock. I love your idea for the cluster rather than swapping you did that and im taking that idea lol. Because i am too lazy to do a LED swap. And you lay it down better than some bagged cars i have seen LMAO. Really glad to see the civic back on the boards.
addiction2bass

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:19 pm

thanks... i can lay the car even lower! but since its my daily driver it would be highly impractical!

i did alittle DIY for the civic cluster. i think i was the first to do this ;) ive had lots of complements and copy cats.LOL
these work for all 92-00civics i did my old 94civic and my 99civic. tho the 94 is sold now. it was done in green led flexstrips. im considering changing blue lights to green tho. as well as my other interior lights to green.
robbie

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:35 pm

Got a focus but i am sure when i yank it out i could do it WOOT thanks.
thedivinecomedy

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:08 am

will someone please put a volt meter to it and tell what ohms its runs at. asked oznium themselves and they dont know what i'm talking about.
bad venge

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:19 am

The Ohms change with VOLTAGE as they are DIODES ...
What Ohms are the old bulb ???
thedivinecomedy

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:38 pm

im not sure. its a 12V bulb. Bulb size is 921.

After doing some research, the old bulb looks to be 9.02 ohm
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:53 pm

Quote:
how can you sell something and not know what the ohm it reads so i can buy the right resisor to get it to work??

^ regarding the above question you asked on the product page:

Relax, man.

You're the first person to ask for such information.

Our only products that are rated in ohms are resistors.

It doesn't make any sense why a light source would need to be rated in ohms.

Perhaps you are confusing ohms with amps? Or maybe I am missing something?

If you're convinced you need to know the ohm rating, why not just hook up a multi-meter to your Piranha bar?

Here's what I bet is happening: You are replacing a stock bulb that draws a lot of power (amps) with an LED bulb that draws a little bit of power. So when you remove the stock bulb and replace it with the LED bulb, your vehicle has a built in computer that sees the circuit is not drawing as much power as it should be, and then somehow acts differently. One easy way to fix this is to add a large power resistor so that more power/current/amps is drawn. Or maybe just keep the other bulb connected in the circuit somehow. I don't know how to calculate any of these power resistor values, but I hope it points you in the right direction.
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 12:53 am
Page 1 of 1