Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

LEDs wired with dome light and switch???

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:51 pm

Hey all,

I just need a little help with the monster that I have created! icon_biggrin.gif
I got some LEDs for my wife's Neon and she would like them to come on with the dome light (for the remote unlock) and also have a switch to turn them on inside the car.

I am thinking that I would need diodes to prevent the switch on the dash from turning the dome light on with the LEDs??? I don't know much about Diodes. Are they rated at differant values?? Or are they all the same? The guys at radio shack are not much help at all. LOL

Sorry for sounding like such a nubie, I wire houses but i am new to the low voltage stuff. Here is what i'm thinking.

mx107marlin

Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:07 pm

You've got it right.... Basically you need to look for diodes that meet your voltage rating... (most do) and that are rated for the amount of current you need... (for what you're doing, almost all will)

Go back to your Radio Shack and give them this SKU # : 276-1653

That's a pack of 25 assorted Rectifier diodes that will work for your application. I think retail on it is like $1.99.... Fortunately I'm not quite as stupid as most of the guys that work at Radio Shack, I actually am helpful for people that come in my store...

But yeah, pick up that pack, pull one out (It doesn't matter which one... they are all rated for 1Amp, which is more than you'll have with this circuit) If you have more than about 12 superfluxes, you'll need to get a bigger diode (Higher Amperage).

Good luck, and make sure to keep us posted, feel free to ask questions here as well.

Oh, and most importantly.... Welcome to Oz... ozzy_change.gif
Enjoy your stay...
bugs825

Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:40 pm

Thanks a bunch mx...

Do you think 1 amp will do it???. I will have some LED strips under the door handles (12 leds total)and I want to add some in the wheel wells.

My wife is going to want more, I know it!
I will be sure to post some pics of her chick car icon_lol.gif

Nathan
mx107marlin

Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:48 pm

what kind of LED's are you gonna use? List the Products, length/qty of each....

It just depends on how much stuff you will use... there is also another pack of Diodes that has 2 in a pack, rated at 3 amps I think...

Also, how much of this stuff will be running through that single wire that the diode is on? Do you want everything you get to come on with the dome light or when that switch is flipped?
kornholio788

Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:00 pm

mmmmm mx your my hero. Always so helpful and nice and so quick to respond to questions. I love you icon_smile.gif. Yup. Everything this guy is saying is correct. Diodes is your answer. And BTW LOVE the NEON(byyahh) and welcome to the wonderful world of OZ

The korny one.
bugs825

Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:46 pm

My Idea is to put the following on the outside of the car....

3" LED strips in the door handles (3 LEDs per door = 12 LEDs)
1 superflux 4-chip LED in each wheel well (4 total)
1 superflux 4-chip LED in each side mirror aimed at the ground (2 total)

The 3" strips I got on e-bay before I found this site. icon_sad.gif So I'm not sure of their exact specs. then 6 total superflux 4-chip LEDs from here.

I want it so that the LEDs come on with the dome light, like when the unlock button on the keyless remote is pressed. And, she also wants a switch to control them inside the car. Thats why I need a diode to keep the dome light off when the switch is turned on, right? I only need 1 diode in between the LEDs and the dome light??

Thanks so much guys for helping the nub,
Nathan
bugs825

Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:50 pm

Korn,

I like your Neon too....We Just got ours......no wait........Her's, a few months ago. I got her the glow stuff for a late christmas present. Can't wait to get the stuff in and post some new pics.

Then she wants new wheels. LOL

Nathan
blktbon20s

Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:26 pm

kornholio788 wrote:
mmmmm mx your my hero. Always so helpful and nice and so quick to respond to questions. I love you icon_smile.gif. Yup. Everything this guy is saying is correct. Diodes is your answer. And BTW LOVE the NEON(byyahh) and welcome to the wonderful world of OZ

The korny one.

icon_eek.gif u ok bro? lol

back on topic[/b]
mx107marlin

Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:39 pm

blktbon20s wrote:
kornholio788 wrote:
The korny one.

icon_eek.gif u ok bro? lol
back on topic[/b]

He's hit the eggnog a little hard this year icon_lol.gif

Anyways... Bugs...

if I'm getting you right, you want EVERYTHING to come on with that dome light?

Everything you listed comes up to approx .64A which means that a single amp diode would work fine... if you think you will be adding much more on that same circuit, go ahead and get the 3Amp diodes...

and yes, you just need a single diode wherever you tap into the positive of the dome light wire... you do need to make sure though that your dome light is positively switched, like it is in your diagram.

You can test this by taking one of your LED's and touching the positive of the LED to the positive of the dome light, then touch the negative of the LED to a ground point (metal screw/anything metal). Do this with the door open, the LED should light. Repeat the same test when the dome light is normally off, if the LED lights, the dome light is NEGATIVELY switched, if it is off, the light is POSITIVELY switched....

Do that and find out if the dome light is negatively or positively switched... if it's positive, wire it exactly like your diagram, if it's negative, you will have to do it a little differently....

Hope this helps... keep the questions coming....
bugs825

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:19 pm

ok, Got the cathodes in with LEDs in the cup holders. Also put a LED in the small light that shines on the shifter. That all looks great.

I went to Radio Shack again and they were out of the assortment pack of diodes. so I got some 3 amp diodes.

I think that they were rated for 50 V. Is this a maximum value or a rated value? Will these work?

I am ordering round #2 now and need to post some pics.

Nathan
mx107marlin

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:43 pm

yeah, those will work... they should be Rectifier Diodes... but yes, a 3Amp, 50V diode will work just fine...

Let us know what happens, and post up some pics...
bugs825

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:08 pm

OK, one more stupid question..... Which direction do I wire the diode? How do you tell what end of the diode goes to the source???

Thanks,
Nathan
mx107marlin

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:14 pm

on the diode there is a colored (usually silver on a black diode) band... That band is on the side that goes "downstream" on the wire... the power only flows from the side without the band to the side with the band...

So in your diagram, your colored band will be on the LED side if you are installing the diode on the positive lead....
bugs825

Post Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:58 am

Ok guys got the LED strips in yesterday and my second order from Oznium. WOW Oznium ships fast, got 2 orders for them faster than one item for an eBayer.

Got the diodes and an iron so as soon as I get the second bunch installed i'll post some pics. I live in Florida and it has been flippin cold here but its going to warm up this weekend.

Thanks for all the help

Nathan
steelgraygtp

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:12 pm

If the dome light is negatively switched, what would be done differently?
mx107marlin

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:31 pm

steelgraygtp wrote:
If the dome light is negatively switched, what would be done differently?

Every Red wire will turn black, every black wire will turn Red....

I'll draw up a diagram at some point... basically the door switch moves to the negative side, and instead of you needing to supply positive 12V to the system to light it (that wouldn't work because there is no ground when the door is closed) you have to supply a negative.. and then to keep the negative switch that you install from making the dome light or anything else on the circuit from turning on, you have to have a diode to stop current backfeeding from to your switched ground. It would be positioned on the negative lead of the LED, between where the negative switched wire come into the line and where the line ties into the dome light circuit...

Like I said, I'll post a diagram for you, it'll just be at some point in the future...
steelgraygtp

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:30 pm

Ok, thanks. I tested that circuit out and it works fine. Except I didn't have a diode so all the lights turned on. I have another question now. My dome lights are negatively switched. I want to wire them to my fog light switch. I'm pretty sure that just provides power to the fogs. How would I get the positive of the fog lights to become negative to ground out the LEDs? Relay? If so, what posts go where and a diagram please? icon_biggrin.gif
mx107marlin

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:26 pm

Do what now?

You want to be able to have your dome lights turn on with your fogs?

It sounds like a relay would be in order, I'm not sure what posts though, you would route the positive from the switch through the coil and out to the fogs, then the ground wire that you want to switch through the switch part of the relay, and the other end to ground....
steelgraygtp

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:29 pm

I want to use the foglight switch to turn on the LED strips I want to install in my footwells. What part of the realy is the coil and what part is the switch and what would that look like?
mx107marlin

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:53 pm

I don't have a diagram on me, but on any automotive relay, there are 5 pins 30, 85, 86, 87, and 87a

The "Coil" part transmits from a positive on pin 86 to the negative side on pin 85

The "Switched" portion connects pins 87 and 87a to pin 30

So for what you're wanting to do, you will take the positive wire that is switched by the fog light switch and attach it to pin 86. Then take pin 85 and either connect it to ground or to the wire that runs to the positive of your fog lights.
The negative from you LED's that needs to be switched will go to pin 87 and then pin 30 will connect to ground. Pin 87a will NOT be used.
steelgraygtp

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:43 pm

Ok I undertand that. Would I need a fuse where I tap into the power from the fogs?
mx107marlin

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:08 pm

No, that line would already be fused... No need to add another...

Keep in mind that you can't just tap into the wire that runs to the fogs, you would have to cut it and put the 2 wires onto the relay... I have to ask, do you actually HAVE fogs, or are you just wanting to use that switch?
steelgraygtp

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:03 pm

I actually do have fog lights. So the relay would have to be added inline to the fog light switch?
mx107marlin

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:44 pm

yes... Cut the fog light wire, put the relay in-line with it...

I question the reason that you want your interior lights to go on/off with your fogs... But yes, that is how you would do it...
steelgraygtp

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:28 am

I just want the footwell lights to turn on with my fogs. In my car, my fogs can be on anytime as long as the car is on. Also, they can't be left on. I also use my fog lights at night all the time and I would want to have the footwell lights on at night. That's why I would want to use that switch. Could I add another seperate switch so I could turn the lights on whenever? it would be the same as the foglight switch right, except no relay and I would need another diode? Thanks.
mx107marlin

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:49 am

Wait Wait wait.....

Do you want to also have your lights come on with your dome light?

The only reason you need the relay the way you have it now is because you were switching polarity... if you don't need to have the lights negatively switched, you can just run a wire straight off of the positive to the fog lights... with a diode and a switch you would also be able to turn them on whenever...

tell me everything that you want your lights to do and what you want to control them with.... I'll draw you up a diagram...
PwrRngr

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:15 pm

mx107marlin wrote:
tell me everything that you want your lights to do and what you want to control them with.... I'll draw you up a diagram...

good plan. I've stayed out because I"m too lazy to read the entire thing and string everything together. In one post if you say everything you want (and it's clear) I'll be happy to help. I'm just too lazy to read everything.
steelgraygtp

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:44 pm

Yes, I also want my lights to come on with my dome lights. The dome lights are negatively switched. I also want to turn on my floor lights with the fog light switch and put another seperate switch so I could turn the lights on if the car was off. Why couldn't I just put the + from the foglights to the relay and connect the other pin to a ground, instead of cutting the foglight wire? I made my own crude diagram of what I want. Tell me if I should change anything. Thanks.

[url][/url]
mx107marlin

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:45 pm

Here you go, here's the way this is designed...

The dome light will operate as normally, same goes for the fog lights.

The LED's/Floor Panel lights will turn on if any of the following are turned on: Override Switch, Dome Light, or Fog Lights. Any combination of the 3 can be turned on, if all are turned off, the lights are turned off.

Here's the Diagram
User posted image
The time now is Fri May 25, 2018 7:13 pm
Page 1 of 1