Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

i need help with wiring up leds to my car blinker system

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:32 am

Hey everyone,

I have found this site and it sure looks like a nice one and some good info on here but i need some help with designing a led blinker board for my car. I have purchased 10k mcd amber 5mm leds with resistors. I have aftermarket m3 mirror lights with leds but they came with stock blue leds and are not very nice and twinkle between blue and white. I dont want the twinkle and i want them to be all amber so im trying to design something myself. I have the mirrors completely apart and got to the cirucit board but instead of using this one i would like to just do my own. I have wired the leds in series like the picture in this link without using resistors and it worked fine and would blink when i turned my blinker on and was bright. https://www.oznium.com/forum/images/diagrams/10.gif

I do want it though when i turn my lights on or my daytime lights are on then the leds in my mirror will light up solid (amber) and then when i turn my blinker they will blink. I have looked over everywhere online and im not having no luck. I have a positive wire, solid state wire and blinker wire but when i wire up my leds i only have a positive and negative so then i cant wire it to come on when my lights are on. If anyone can help it would be great. thanks and happy holidays.

Last edited by dmb2002man on Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total
dmb2002man

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:56 am

i need something about 3.25" length and 3/4" wide. Looking to use about 6 leds in each mirror.

thanks
PwrRngr

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:41 pm

A logic device would be easy for this but I say away from those on here. Here's what I came up with in about 10 minutes so it might not be perfect (but it's damn close). MX, could you double check this (the relay mainly). I'm 95% sure it's right but I'm busy and honestly don't feel like looking over it super careful.
User posted image
Essentially, when your lights are on and your turn signal is off the LEDs are on. When the turn signal goes on it shorts out the LEDs (no light). When your lights are off and your turn signal is on, it will light up the LEDs.

Last edited by PwrRngr on Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total
dmb2002man

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:49 pm

Hey thanks for the reply. So can i pick up a relay like this at any electronics store. I am going to need a 12v 30amp relay switch correct. It should be labeled with 87, 86, 87a, 85, 30. The 30 will be of course the 12v wire and 85 will be the ground. But im not exactly sure about the blinker wire and the power wire like that is on my car. Seems though the 86 and 87a is where the blinker wire and solid state wire will go just not sure which one where. Anymore help will be greatly appreciated.
PwrRngr

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:19 pm

I updated the diagram. See above for relay information.

*EDIT* The resistor is going to have to be able to handle more than 1/4W (w/out running numbers I would just about guarantee it). Depending on the chosen resistance (which depends on how many LEDs are in parallel), that will allow you to determine how much power it should be able to handle.

Example: Four Parallel LEDs (yellow: 2.3V and 20mA each) would result in about a 10V drop across the resistor and 80mA. This means the resistor would be 125 ohms. When the turn signal is on this resistor will see 12V. This means it will have to disipate at least 1.152W. Give a bunch of room for safety and I would put it at a 2W resistor.
PwrRngr

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:20 pm

I broke out the electronics logic book and looked up what logic device you would need. You would need an Exclusive OR Gate (XOR Gate). Basically it has 2 inputs and 1 output. When no input or both inputs have voltage to them there is no output. When only one input has voltage, there is output.
dmb2002man

Post Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:51 pm

okay thanks for the update. I am still working on the circuit board for this with my friend who is a engineer and i will update with what happens since it should be done by next weekend.
The time now is Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:26 am
Page 1 of 1