Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

how do i make leds flash

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:11 pm

o.k does anybody know how to make the flexible led strips flash(like strobe light). i know its illegal but i am going to use it on a show car so please help.
-alex
guthix12

Post Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:40 pm

put it on a momentary switch icon_smile.gif
Moss

Post Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:24 pm

guthix12 wrote:
put it on a momentary switch icon_smile.gif

So he can sit in the car and push the switch to make them flash.

Depends on how fast they need to flash, the music interface has a wig-wag feature, if you only use one side it's a on/off flash.
corvettecrazy

Post Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:32 pm

PwrRngr

Post Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:54 pm

ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:45 am

o.k i found something on autodirect.com that will work thanks for the help.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:07 pm

wtf... autodirect.com does not sell LED flashers, they sell cars
BLAZER_97

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:52 pm

Phil wrote:

yes they do, this guy is probably mixed up in the head

EDIT:yes they do cARS, no LED flashers
KrzysD

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:25 am

i would make the flasher with a 555 chip then use the pot like they instructed, awesome circiut.
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:06 pm

Phil wrote:

sorry wrong site

http://www.yourhotcar.com/prod/Free_Shipping/Po...D_Strobes/LED_Single_Flasher/710
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:07 pm

BLAZER_97 wrote:
Phil wrote:

not messed up in the head just wrong site
BLAZER_97

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:10 pm

ChevyCaprice9C1 wrote:
BLAZER_97 wrote:
Phil wrote:

Mixed up not messed up icon_smile.gif
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:57 pm

[quote="BLAZER_97"]
ChevyCaprice9C1 wrote:
BLAZER_97 wrote:
Phil wrote:

Mixed up not messed up icon_smile.gif[/qu

icon_cool.gif
Dam262a

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:13 pm

http://www.cankurd.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=2

they sell a strobe device comes out to about $7 Canadian to $16 American....bought it, and i have it works great very cool
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:36 pm

ChevyCaprice9C1 wrote:
Phil wrote:

sorry wrong site

http://www.yourhotcar.com/prod/Free_Shipping/Po...D_Strobes/LED_Single_Flasher/710

Be careful... That site seems ghetto!

Found something bad from a quick search of them on Google

From a Saturn forum:
Quote:
This is how the conversation went between Auto Direct and me.

11/13/2007

Thank you for placing your order at YourHotCar.com Your order is scheduled to ship! Please allow at least 7-10 business days to recieve your product before contacting us.
Clear Bumper Lights - 1998 Saturn SW - Price $xx.xx We do NOT provide tracking numbers by PHONE and they are not always available for all products. Thank you!

11/26/07

(2 weeks later) Can you update me on the status of this order or provide a tracking number?

11/26/07

Hello

Your item was never shipped, we dont have it instock at this point, please notify us if you see something else that you would like other than that item
thanks
Auto Direct

11/26/07

I would like a full and immediate refund. And I expect it to be more timely than this transaction. I would like to say thanks for the timely update but you have kept me waiting for two weeks for something you don't have.

11/26/07

We never took the money out of your account.. so dont get so upset..
Auto Direct
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:42 pm

Phil wrote:
ChevyCaprice9C1 wrote:
Phil wrote:

sorry wrong site

Be careful... That site seems ghetto!

Found something bad from a quick search of them on Google

From a Saturn forum:
Quote:
This is how the conversation went between Auto Direct and me.

11/13/2007

Thank you for placing your order at YourHotCar.com Your order is scheduled to ship! Please allow at least 7-10 business days to recieve your product before contacting us.
Clear Bumper Lights - 1998 Saturn SW - Price $xx.xx We do NOT provide tracking numbers by PHONE and they are not always available for all products. Thank you!

11/26/07

(2 weeks later) Can you update me on the status of this order or provide a tracking number?

11/26/07

Hello

Your item was never shipped, we dont have it instock at this point, please notify us if you see something else that you would like other than that item
thanks
Auto Direct

11/26/07

I would like a full and immediate refund. And I expect it to be more timely than this transaction. I would like to say thanks for the timely update but you have kept me waiting for two weeks for something you don't have.

11/26/07

We never took the money out of your account.. so dont get so upset..
Auto Direct

thanks for the info saved me some trouble the only reason i was looking at that stuff as the price was cheap on some stuff i want.

does any one know where i can get a product to make the leds wig wag if you do please send me a link.
-alex
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:54 pm

Dam262a wrote:
http://www.cankurd.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=2

they sell a strobe device comes out to about $7 Canadian to $16 American....bought it, and i have it works great very cool

o.k thanks for the help i will order some of those lights for another old cop car i am restoring but do you know of any place whwere i can get something to make the leds wigwag.
Dam262a

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:47 pm

only thing i can think of is this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=&item=160201330830&rd=1

but....idk if it is what your talking about...i never tried it
jdusty914

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:28 pm

Why not buy a meteor set and cut the wires and then wire up the led strips to the wires on the meteor controller...You can change the pattern on them if you want to...just an idea....
Black DX

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:18 am

wig wag is simple, get a 5 pin relay and a two pin flasher. Wire up one led to the 87 pin and the other led to 87A pin, connect the output pin of the flasher to the 85 pin, ground the 86 and connect the 30 pin and the input pin of the flasher to a fused switch. What happens is the powered flasher clicks on and off, in the process the relay will switch back and forth between 87 and the 87a pin creating the wig wag effect...
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:20 pm

jdusty914 wrote:
Why not buy a meteor set and cut the wires and then wire up the led strips to the wires on the meteor controller...You can change the pattern on them if you want to...just an idea....

um sorry but i have no idea what a "meteor set" is sorry i only know basic wiring icon_cool.gif
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:25 pm

Black DX wrote:
wig wag is simple, get a 5 pin relay and a two pin flasher. Wire up one led to the 87 pin and the other led to 87A pin, connect the output pin of the flasher to the 85 pin, ground the 86 and connect the 30 pin and the input pin of the flasher to a fused switch. What happens is the powered flasher clicks on and off, in the process the relay will switch back and forth between 87 and the 87a pin creating the wig wag effect...

sorry i only know some basic stuff, and this confuses me icon_eek.gif is there any place where there is a digram of pics of this. i understand the two pin flasher and i understand the ideas behind it but i have never used relays before.
sorry
but thanks for you help
oh yeah where can i buy all of this stuff

i found this pic of the relay is this what your talking about
http://www.ripper1.com/tech/wiring/relaybot.jpg

also are the input and the output on the two pin flasher labeled
and again thanks for the help
Black DX

Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:25 am

User posted image

This is a ghetto tossed together image of what I'm talking about, in the other post you brought my comment up and it reminded me that it would be good to get an adjustable flasher unit that would allow you to control the flash rate. A regular flasher with such a light load should yield a fast or hyper flash, a fixed flash, variable load, electronic or no load flasher will have a set value that it will cause the flashing at...
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:36 am

Black DX wrote:
User posted image

This is a ghetto tossed together image of what I'm talking about, in the other post you brought my comment up and it reminded me that it would be good to get an adjustable flasher unit that would allow you to control the flash rate. A regular flasher with such a light load should yield a fast or hyper flash, a fixed flash, variable load, electronic or no load flasher will have a set value that it will cause the flashing at...

o.k thanks where can i buy all of this stuff at
Dam262a

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:42 am

radio shack...some auto shops...
SickWitIt

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:56 am

I think oznium should engineer a LED flasher, and some sort of scanner.
DJTricky

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:02 am

like a pseudo wig wag system? i like that idea.
Black DX

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:51 pm

All the stuff shown can be gotten off ebay, radio shack and/or oznium, I'd highly suggest getting an adjustable two pin flasher to allow you control of the flash speed.

DJTricky wrote:
like a pseudo wig wag system? i like that idea.

Yea, earlier in this post I typed out a "how-to" of a cheap wig-wag and the picture is simply a visual representation of it.
DJTricky

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:27 pm

nice lol im gona have to make a wig wag system, what led's would you recommend using?
PwrRngr

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:39 pm

DJTricky wrote:
nice lol im gona have to make a wig wag system, what led's would you recommend using?

I recommend the monster dome light Phil posted... biglaugh.gif
DJTricky

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:03 pm

lol im gona be hiding it in my grill so i dont thing that thing will work to well
Black DX

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:45 am

DJTricky wrote:
lol im gona be hiding it in my grill so i dont thing that thing will work to well

Well the setup is designed to run any 12V unit (led or halogen) so the choice is upto you. Dual flex strips would be bright, dual 25led dome lights would be bright (would need to encase them from the elements), dual high intensity spot or flood (depending on the amount of surrounding cast you want) would be crazy bright, the 12led oval or 15led round running/utility light from HERE would be bright or a various selection of semi replacement oval/round led units would give you good output/effect....
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:39 am

Black DX wrote:
User posted image

what is a adjustable flasher and how much are they can i juts use the regular automotive flasher
Black DX

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:14 pm

An adjustable flasher would be something like THIS:

ranges from 40-60 depending on where purchased, the blue box is the speed adjuster.

Automotive flasher relays have a preset load design so that if a bulb fails the hyper flash will alert the driver to a bulb failure (aka hyper or ricer flash), the problem that will happen is the relay is a very small load it doesn't provide the load the flasher is designed around and causes hyper flash. Now you can use a standard two pin round flasher but the flash speed will be rather fast, you can use an electronic non load flasher which has a preset flash rate but then you're stuck with a slow flash rate, or with the adjustable flasher it allows you to speedup or slow down the flash rate per your choosing...

this is what a standard looking round two pin flasher looks like:
User posted image
This is what alot of the electronic non load sensitive two pin flashers look like:
User posted image
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:46 am

Black DX wrote:
An adjustable flasher would be something like THIS:

ranges from 40-60 depending on where purchased, the blue box is the speed adjuster.

Automotive flasher relays have a preset load design so that if a bulb fails the hyper flash will alert the driver to a bulb failure (aka hyper or ricer flash), the problem that will happen is the relay is a very small load it doesn't provide the load the flasher is designed around and causes hyper flash. Now you can use a standard two pin round flasher but the flash speed will be rather fast, you can use an electronic non load flasher which has a preset flash rate but then you're stuck with a slow flash rate, or with the adjustable flasher it allows you to speedup or slow down the flash rate per your choosing...

this is what a standard looking round two pin flasher looks like:
User posted image
This is what alot of the electronic non load sensitive two pin flashers look like:
User posted image

o.kl thanks for the help. i am fine with a slow flash because i would only uses the lights about 2 times a year. so i should look for a electronic non load flaher
Black DX

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:25 pm

ChevyCaprice9C1 wrote:

o.kl thanks for the help. i am fine with a slow flash because i would only uses the lights about 2 times a year. so i should look for a electronic non load flaher

correct...
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:17 pm

Black DX wrote:
ChevyCaprice9C1 wrote:

correct...

sorry but i still need some help with the two pin flasher. i went to a local auto parts store (advanced auto) and i couldn't find a no load flasher i could only find variable load flashers and flashers that were preset for turn signals. so what would you suggest getting instead that i can get from a auto parts store or radio shack. also will this work on head lights and tail lights? also how do you tell which pin on the flasher is the input and the output
thanks for your help
Black DX

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:10 pm

Variable load works the same as no load flashers, it is a preset flash speed that isn't regulated by the load or lack there off, so Yes the variable load flasher will work.
As long as you provide the proper sized wiring and fuses to handle the loads of headlights n tail lights you should be fine. I'd say you could use two relays, one to run just the headlights and one to run the running lights, the only issue is you might run into the problem that the lights are powered from one power line (fused as just high or low beams) and this would mean you'd need to test the power lines to see if you fed power to one of the lines would the other headlight turn on or not, if it does you'd have to install diodes to keep from powering the whole circuit..... I'd also suggest if doing headlights you could easily buy a headlight flasher unit off ebay that's designed to splice into the wiring, it's been used before and is fool proof...LINKY:

User posted image
X is positive, L is load or output to the relay
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:16 pm

Black DX wrote:
Variable load works the same as no load flashers, it is a preset flash speed that isn't regulated by the load or lack there off, so Yes the variable load flasher will work.

As long as you provide the proper sized wiring and fuses to handle the loads of headlights n tail lights you should be fine. I'd say you could use two relays, one to run just the headlights and one to run the running lights, the only issue is you might run into the problem that the lights are powered from one power line (fused as just high or low beams) and this would mean you'd need to test the power lines to see if you fed power to one of the lines would the other headlight turn on or not, if it does you'd have to install diodes to keep from powering the whole circuit..... I'd also suggest if doing headlights you could easily buy a headlight flasher unit off ebay that's designed to splice into the wiring, it's been used before and is fool proof...LINKY:

User posted image
X is positive, L is load or output to the relay

o.k thanks for the help i got it now(i hope) i will get the flasher at advanced auto but i still have to find the relay because they didn't have it at radio shack
thanks
Black DX

Post Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:12 pm

Just make sure they are 5 pin relays, if it is a four pin unit it won't work since they commonly remove the 87a pin...
The time now is Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:39 pm
Page 1 of 1