Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Fuse and ground wire help

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:27 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to this stuff and have a couple questions...

My first question is, should I connect the ground wire to the negative terminal of the battery, or do I just fasten it to the metal of the chassis like you do when wiring audio amps?

And my second question, what size fuse should I use if I am using 2 9.5" flexible LED strips? I only work with car audio stuff and the amps we use for that range anywhere from 20 to 200 amps. I don't know where to find a fuse small enough for these.
mx107marlin

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:11 pm

First off, Welcome to Oznium ozzy_change.gif

Now the answer to your first question about the ground wire, yes, you will fasten it to the metal of the chassis just like an audio amp... this stuff is wired identical to an audio amp. Positive to fuse, fuse to battery, negative to ground.

Now, as you know, fuse size is dependent on wire size, but your wire will be required to carry at least .32A (160mA*2= 320mA, or .32A) As for fuse size, 14 gauge would be fine at 5A up to about 15'. I would personally use 12 gauge for my power wire, and put a 10A fuse in it, that way you're covered.

As for where to find these fuses, check your local auto parts store or a Radio Shack. They will have in-line fuse holders and fuses to fit them.

Feel free to ask any other questions.
PwrRngr

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:15 pm

Just connect the ground to the metal of the chassis. Fuse size depends on WIRE GAUGE, not the load on the circuit. Let us know what gauge wire are you using for your circuit and I can tell you what size fuse to use from there.
nphilanthro

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:18 pm

Alright thanks. I finished wiring it, but I have problems. The little light on the switch lights up, but the LED strips don't light up... I can ground the switch to the same spot as the LED strips, right? I'm not sure why they arent working. I am going to try and connect a strip straight to the battery with no switch and see if it works.

And I've always wondered... What would happen if you DID hook up the ground wire to the negative post?
nphilanthro

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:19 pm

PwrRngr wrote:
Just connect the ground to the metal of the chassis. Fuse size depends on WIRE GAUGE, not the load on the circuit. Let us know what gauge wire are you using for your circuit and I can tell you what size fuse to use from there.

I'm using 18 gauge wire.
PwrRngr

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:23 pm

18 gauge can handle ~2.5 amps. I would fuse it with a 2 amp fuse.
mx107marlin

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:38 pm

nphilanthro wrote:
And I've always wondered... What would happen if you DID hook up the ground wire to the negative post?

Nothing... You will have wasted your time by running extra wire.

The chassis is just a big bare wire to the negative post of the battery... if you look at your battery, the negative terminal is connected directly to the frame of the car (in some form) All you are doing by grounding wire to the chassis, is letting the car's metal parts act as the ground wire, saving you time and money in wire and installation time.
nphilanthro

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:04 am

mx107marlin wrote:
nphilanthro wrote:

Nothing... You will have wasted your time by running extra wire.

The chassis is just a big bare wire to the negative post of the battery... if you look at your battery, the negative terminal is connected directly to the frame of the car (in some form) All you are doing by grounding wire to the chassis, is letting the car's metal parts act as the ground wire, saving you time and money in wire and installation time.

Haha all this time and I just now realize how simple the concept is... icon_wink.gif I feel so stupid now.
mx107marlin

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:14 am

Haha, it's alright... we learn something new every day, isn't that the goal?

Like I said, Welcome to Oz, we have a lot of those moments around here...
The time now is Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:21 pm
Page 1 of 1