Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

'08 Scion xB Lighting Project

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:00 pm

This is the first decent sized lighting project I've attempted. I always wanted to do something like this in my tC, but never got around to it. I finally gave it a whirl when I decided I needed to do something w/ the C-Pillar cubbies in the back of our '08 Scion xB.

Two sets of 12" blue cold cathodes, two sets of 4" blue cold cathodes, 1 blue LED lighted switch, an add-a-circuit, two sheets of 1/4" thick acrylic, two die cut black vinyl overlays, two pieces of etched glass vinyl, some rubber weather stripping and here we are... Stage 1 complete.

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image
mx107marlin

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:05 pm

Nice... how'd you do the Scion Emblem in the Acrylic?

looks sweet though..

Welcome to Oz ozzy_change.gif I'm sure you'll fit in well.. haha
SactoEric

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:14 pm

1/4" thick acrylic w/ black vinyl die cut overlay on front, frosted glass vinyl on back. I could have gotten the frosted acrylic, but I wanted to see it both ways. w/out the frosted glass vinyl on the back, you could easily see the lights & wires.

Thanks for the welcome icon_smile.gif

Last edited by SactoEric on Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total
mx107marlin

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:16 pm

Nice, I might have to try that sometime..., don't really have a place for an emblem like that though
MrJayDeeOne

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:41 pm

looks pretty good. nice job.
SickWitIt

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:29 am

SactoEric wrote:
1/4" thick acrylic w/ black vinyl die cut overlay on front, frosted glass vinyl on back. I could have gotten the frosted acrylic, but I wanted to see it both ways. w/out the frosted glass vinyl on the back, you could easily see the lights & wires.

Know of any websites that might be able to do that for me, or can you? I'm interested.
SactoEric

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:01 am

I got the acrylic at Tap Plastics & the vinyl was a special order. If you have access to a jig saw and a coarse file, it's not that hard to work with. I tried cutting it w/ a Dremel and burned it out. It may work w/ 1/8" acrylic, but the 1/4" was probably too much for it.
mx107marlin

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:34 am

SickWitIt wrote:
SactoEric wrote:

Know of any websites that might be able to do that for me, or can you? I'm interested.

I get all my acrylic stuff from TAP PLASTICS as well, they seem to have good products, I've used them before, and I have some stuff in the mail... so we'll see.
kornholio788

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:54 am

It looks great. But I don't like the hot spots that it has. If it was a more even glow it would be 100 percetn perfect. Looks great otherwise. Very nice looking. Looks like it was supposed to come like that.
SactoEric

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:30 am

Are you talking about the Scion logo? I agree, but I think it's worse in the pictures... And it actually was more even w/ the blue protective film on the acrylic. I think the frosted glass is a little too transparent. My goal was to make each cubby look like another window & will look more so once I get some darker tint. The 1st Gen xB has windows all the way back, but for some reason they decided to go w/ a huge c-pillar on the 2nd gen. The optional c-pillar storage option is around $80 and is just a plastic frame w/ a net. Pretty useless if you ask me ;)

On another note, I realize the front and rear foot wells aren't as bright as some people's, so I'm thinking about moving the 12" cathodes from under the rear seat and pairing each w/ a 4" under each front seat. For some reason I only imagined using one transformer under the seats, but as soon as you move them the wires would get ripped out. I didn't think about using the extra set & having a transformer under each seat...
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:13 pm
Page 1 of 1