Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Seats and carpet are installed in the classic Mini - mostly

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:47 pm

I worked hard on Saturday and a little on Sunday and got the interior finished. There are still a few things to do, mainly gluing things down properly (I've just rested the carpet inside the car with no adhesive since I know I'll need to pull the carpet back to weld in my floor pan patch), but at least this gives a good idea of what it looks like.

After several hours of wiring (I fixed a crossed wire in the stereo installation that was preventing it form saving radio or CD pre-sets) and cleaning, I install the shift and e-brake gaitors.

User posted image

The rear of the car, ready for carpet.

User posted image

Rear carpet in.

User posted image

Rear side panel cards and rear seats in.

User posted image

Front carpeting laid in.

User posted image

Found some rust under the seats on the brackets, so I hit them with a quick coat of high-temp black paint:

User posted image

Seats re-installed.

User posted image

Other side.

User posted image

And the rears.

User posted image

New door cards, brushed aluminum furniture and Rover door pockets.

User posted image

Took her out, gassed her up and all is well! I've not yet glued in the door sill pieces or the pieces that cover the seat cross-member, as I'll have to shift the carpet aside to weld in a patch over the hole in the floor pan I found, and I need a vacuum job, but I'm pretty much done. Oh, and I have to glue some of the trouble spots like around the shift gaitor, as the flaps stuck up - unless someone knows a trick to keep them down w/o glue.
Ryan88

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:50 pm

That really makes a difference! Looks good!
MrJayDeeOne

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:59 pm

looks good. great job
robbie

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:18 am

Dang imago you have never ceased to amaze with the great skill and detail you put into each of the cars you modify. Man keep it up i can not wait to see then end product of this mini i wish i had the means to buy an older car lol.
Drifting10

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:01 am

dang ImagoX looks very nice love your attention to detail! Oh nice looking speakers you got there! Did you get the whole grill thing figured out yet?
kornholio788

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:01 am

I love it. Looks a hell of alot better. The only thing that caught my eye were those front speakers. Honestly it looks like they are just some speakers sitting in rolls of duct tape and then thrown some carpet over. I have no idea if those come from the factory like that or what but I think they ruin the look of the front. They just looks so...out there. Change them up a little or sink them in more if you can. Other wise it all looks great. Love the color combo and love the seats.

The korny one.
ImagoX

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:22 am

The speakers are in home-made speaker pods - the rings are MDF and the body was made of card stock soaked in fiberglass resin, the covered in black fabric - basic but functional. I mounted the pods to permanently-affixed threaded bolts attached to the wheel wells with wing-nuts - that way I could easily remove them (which proved useful during this install, let me tell you).

The only other way to attach speakers in the diminutive Mini is to use door-mount speaker pods, and I didn't want to do that (they can buzz). Seeing the rest of the interior now, though, I very well might just re-cover my spare pod set in leatherette - I think it will match the seats really nicely if I do that.

The problem is the !@#$% speakers themselves... they look terrible, I agree. They're supposed to be standard 6" units (I got them from someone here) and they sound good enough, but they're factory standard speakers from another car, and they're not (apparently) designed to use grilles that attach to the speaker chassis. I've tried two different sets, and neither set attach properly to the speakers themselves. Grrrrrr....

I was going to just use silicone and glue the grilles on, but I knew I'd be re-wiring eventually, and I wanted to keep my access to the mounting screws.

At this point, I'm thinking I'll just get a NEW set of front speakers and then move the ones I have now to the rear- I have a template for a under-seat rear speaker board that I just need to bash up and cover with fabric. That way, my cheapie speakers here can just pump out some additional bass from the rear and I'll have a nice(er) set of speakers up front with proper grilles.

QUESTION: where should I look if I want to find that dark gray, nappy fabric that people use on sub boxes? I used a softer, more felt-like material on the pods, and it's not wearing particularly well, I'm afraid. I want to use the tough, coarser stuff on the speaker board in the rear...
kornholio788

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:32 am

Honestly I don't really know where to get that stuff. I have never really looked. But an easy guess would be at your local audio shop. Odds are they make custom enclosures(at least the one by me does) and ussually they wrap it in that stuff. See if you can buy some from them. Might be able to get it at a decent price. Don't really know for sure though.
The_Mastor

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:25 pm

Excellent, bravo, encore
Moss

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:21 pm

That place that sells the build your own speaker parts has it, get the name of the manufacturer and send them an e-mail, they will tell you has that stuff local.
ImagoX

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:30 pm

Um. OK, I'll look around. I've seen it on eBay, but it was like $50, which seemed ridiculous.
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:28 pm
Page 1 of 1