Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

how to install leds in headlights to give it that glow

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:39 pm

Hey I searched but couldent find any but I was wondering if any one has some info on how to install leds in headlights to give it that glow I see in most of the pictures of the Xbs.
jdusty914

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:50 pm

More than likely you will have to drill into the headlight assembly...just find a good spot and try to aim the LED towards the reflective part of the headlight....Just drill a hole just barely big enough for the LED, put on some silicon to waterproof the LED and to make a very tight seal (for waterproofing) and then (when dry) put the headlight assembly back on and wire up he LED's to a switch....

AND WELCOME TO OZNIUM!!!
techchild

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:52 pm

jdusty914 wrote:
More than likely you will have to drill into the headlight assembly...just find a good spot and try to aim the LED towards the reflective part of the headlight....Just drill a hole just barely big enough for the LED, put on some silicon to waterproof the LED and to make a very tight seal (for waterproofing) and then (when dry) put the headlight assembly back on and wire up he LED's to a switch....

also were would I get some little rubber gaskets I guess for the leds so they whont let moisture in?
AND WELCOME TO OZNIUM!!!

Thanks icon_smile.gif Yah I just whant to get some glow on the lights. I also got some blue cathodes
in my foot wells but they are pretty much like a black light? is that norma?
jdusty914

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:18 pm

Are you sure you did not get the UV (black light) ones??...It is not normal for the Blue cathodes to turn out like the UV ones...

As for the gaskets I know that Radioshack has LED holders, and I think phil sells them also....just drill the hole in the headlight just big enough to stick the LED in...Make sure it fits snug in there and put some silicone around the hole before finally putting the LED in there for a very tight and waterproof connection....
04yellowf150

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:28 pm

the way my fog lights sit i have a 4.7 flex leds in each one

User posted image
techchild

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:40 pm

04yellowf150 wrote:
the way my fog lights sit i have a 4.7 flex leds in each one

User posted image

did you get any pictures on how you installed them?

This is in pitch black inside the garage. But outside it looks mor purpleish
jdusty914 wrote:
Are you sure you did not get the UV (black light) ones??...It is not normal for the Blue cathodes to turn out like the UV ones...

Nope I'm sure they are blue
jdusty914

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:13 pm

I don't know why they would look any different inside or outside...that is odd....
Cyber Knight

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:49 am

Here's how mine are wired, the only hole I drilled was to get the main wire into the housing. I have 2 5mm and 1 superflux in each.

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image
robbie

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:54 am

Wow cyberknight that is a really bright setup you have going on in the head lights. I think this may be my next mod with leds if i can snag some supeflux before then. Anyways yeah man these guys are right on you will have to drill something at least to get them in there.
SickWitIt

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:59 am

robbie wrote:
Wow cyberknight that is a really bright setup you have going on in the head lights. I think this may be my next mod with leds if i can snag some supeflux before then. Anyways yeah man these guys are right on you will have to drill something at least to get them in there.

Picture is over-exposed and in person - they aren't that bright.
Cyber Knight

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:03 am

I did my tails to match, but I had to use a completely different approach. I drilled into the bulb housing, the piece that you untwist and then put the actual bulb in. Then using solid copper wire (telephone wire) I fed the LEDs through and bent the wire in a 'J' shape so the LEDs point back towards the reflective housing. It's tough to explain, and I don't have pix. But here's how they turned out.

User posted image

User posted image

And don't forget my 360 view vid!
techchild

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:24 am

How do you have those wired up? Do they come on with your running lights?
If you turn them on while driving does it make the light output look blue?
Cyber Knight

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:06 am

They come on with one of my interior lights, plus there is an override switch. When the daytime running lights or headlights are on you can only see the blue in the section that doesn't have a light on in it.
A-Ray

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:46 am

I got some new strobes coming to install into the headlights. While I have them out to install the strobes I may add some leds to hem as well.
DJ FroZone

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:23 am

so i got a scion xb2 and i wanted to put the blue superflux in my headlights to have the same effect. i haven't ordered them yet because im really unsre of what to to do. i've seen some say u have to drill in and others you don't have too.... i changed my parking lights already to white and all that was, was a pull and twist, replace. any help on this matter? btw knight that looks really sharp on your car. i would do it to mine if i had the skill.
A-Ray

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:59 am

DJ FroZone wrote:
so i got a scion xb2 and i wanted to put the blue superflux in my headlights to have the same effect. i haven't ordered them yet because im really unsre of what to to do. i've seen some say u have to drill in and others you don't have too.... i changed my parking lights already to white and all that was, was a pull and twist, replace. any help on this matter? btw knight that looks really sharp on your car. i would do it to mine if i had the skill.

You will have to drill a hole unless you can get into the headlight housing some other way. Sometimes you can fit through were the bulbs go in some cars can take the housing apart and fit through. It all depends on what you can do.
DJ FroZone

Post Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:29 pm

o aight. i gotta wait anyways but this is good to know
lrc

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:34 am

Just a quick pic

User posted image
blue one

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:00 am

yeah welcome to OZ tech
jdusty914

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Hey Tech what kind of car do you drive...just wondering....
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 9:49 pm
Page 1 of 1