Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

How much $$ for some fiberglass work?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:04 pm

What would be an estimated price to get a custom fiberglass dash and center console made? This could be a future mod to the Blazer if its not toooooo much money. I'm expecting it to be pretty expensive.
Mav

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:25 pm

Well when I was having second thoughts about doing my own custom form fitting a 12 inch sub woofer box for my car in the trunk, I went and got some qoutes, and it averaged around $400 for a custom sub box that was being carpeted.

If you are having it painted, they said it'd cost 2-3 times as much because of how much time would take sanding it perfectly smooth as every little nick would stand out when you paint it otherwise. So $800-$1200 for a single 12inch enclosure form fit into the back of my car and painted.

If you're talking about a dash, I'm assuming you are going to paint it.. it's going to cost you a lot more than that I'd imagine, and it wouldn't be that great of a thing to have.. if you ever did get in a car accident or something, your dash would pretty much explode in your face... Could be quite deadly, even in a light crash. The fibers aren't very forgiving in your skin.. =/

Fiberglass dashes for the most part are strictly for show, and not for vehicles you are driving every day...
Knox

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:38 pm

I never thought about the safety of a fiberglass dash. I'm just going through my options though, cause my dash looks good from a distance, but up close you can see how crappy a job the vinyl guy did so I want it changed. I'm going to be putting my car into shows and I know people look at the details of things and they'd see the bad parts of the dash. Maybe I'll take off the vinyl and get the dash smoothed and painted.
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:52 pm

ditto on that.... LOADS of labor... prolly talkin like $3k for a custom dash... i'm sure you'd want it to fit pefectly and not rattle....
dbismyname

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:22 pm

take all the vinyl off your dash and smooth it and paint it. not too hard
88oldscutlass

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:36 pm

mr. safety again. icon_lol.gif you should put that in your sig or somethin lol it cracks me up everytime i see your posts about the dangers of a mod.
88oldscutlass

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:37 pm

but hey at least you care about us maybe even love us i dont know. icon_lol.gif
PhantomFE3

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:39 pm

Mav wrote:
Well when I was having second thoughts about doing my own custom form fitting a 12 inch sub woofer box for my car in the trunk, I went and got some qoutes, and it averaged around $400 for a custom sub box that was being carpeted.

If you are having it painted, they said it'd cost 2-3 times as much because of how much time would take sanding it perfectly smooth as every little nick would stand out when you paint it otherwise. So $800-$1200 for a single 12inch enclosure form fit into the back of my car and painted.

If you're talking about a dash, I'm assuming you are going to paint it.. it's going to cost you a lot more than that I'd imagine, and it wouldn't be that great of a thing to have.. if you ever did get in a car accident or something, your dash would pretty much explode in your face... Could be quite deadly, even in a light crash. The fibers aren't very forgiving in your skin.. =/

Fiberglass dashes for the most part are strictly for show, and not for vehicles you are driving every day...

sheeeeit 1200 bucks??? give me 650 and ill do it for ya
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:40 pm

and the funny part is he drives the eclipse... and he talks about safety icon_rolleyes.gif
Brandon

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:13 am

I've seen places charge 75$+ an hour for fiberglass + materials.
silentalero

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:27 am

if your up for a road trip lemme know...i fiber....i glass icon_smile.gif
Knox

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:22 pm

silentalero wrote:
if your up for a road trip lemme know...i fiber....i glass icon_smile.gif

I remember a long time ago you said that you did fiberglassing, the question was kinda directed towards you. But I think what I'll do is smooth and paint the dash, then for the center console I'll figure something out. I had plans to build one with my dad, but we don't know fiberglass so we were just gunna use wood and vinyl that.
dbismyname

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:10 pm

fiberglass is easy. never done it myself but i know the basics.
Mav

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:01 pm

if you never done it, don't open your mouth *grin*... I've done it, it's not easy.. it's messy, pain in the ass, and you gotta be real careful not to get any on anything else in your car cause it's not comin off. It sounds easy, but it's nowhere near as easy as you may think.. especially if you don't have a mold and have to make your own.

An idea for you rather than sanding and repainting is to revinyl the dash. That would look nice too. Just get some good quality stuff.. none of that cheap ****, as you get what you pay for. Break out the heat gun and shrink it down to fit, but make sure you don't get it too hot as you will burn it. Try using a scrap piece of vinyl and use the heat gun on it to see find your limits of how hot you can get it before it burns... =)

Once again, sanding anything to paint it and have it give you the car finish look you are probably looking for is a LOT of work with all of the sanding you have to do to make it PERFECTLY smooth. If there is even the slightest little pixel of a bump, or a slight hair seam, it will stand out like a sore thumb when you paint it. Especially if you decide to paint it a high gloss color.
dbismyname

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:10 pm

icon_redface.gif
The time now is Thu May 24, 2018 7:48 pm
Page 1 of 1