Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Cali Law This Should Clear Up Some Things

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:21 pm

I was looking at neon Lights for my car and needed the answer to everybodys question is it legal?? And the questions is yes you can install them and drive with them on. no mater what color even blue and red. you might get pulled over but you can take them to court and win. the catch 22 is that your tubes cant show. the law states that the light cant shine foward. but if you cant see the tube then the light is pointing down which excludes this from the law. here is the law and the cvc numbers

25400. (a) Any vehicle may be equipped with a lamp or device on the exterior of the vehicle that emits a diffused nonglaring light of not more than 0.05 candela per square inch of area.

(b) Any diffused nonglaring light shall not display red to the front, but may display other colors. A diffused nonglaring light shall not resemble nor be installed within 12 inches or in such position as to interfere with the visibility or effectiveness of any required lamp, reflector, or other device upon the vehicle.

(c) A diffused nonglaring lamp or device, other than a display sign authorized by subdivision (d), shall be limited in size to an area of 720 square inches and where any lease, rental, or donation is involved the installation of the lamp or device shall be limited to those vehicles operated either primarily within business or residential districts or municipalities, or between business districts, residential districts, and municipalities in close proximity.

(d) An internally illuminated sign emitting not more than 0.25 candela per square inch and possessing copy which does not contain a white background may be displayed on each side, but not on the front or rear, of a trolley coach or of a bus being operated in urban or suburban service as described in Section 35107 of this code.

PS READ YOUR TICKETS!!

..Alot of times Cops will write your ticket up for 24003 which covers Interior lights.. Here is the break out for that code

Vehicle With Unlawful Lamps
24003. No vehicle shall be equipped with any lamp or illuminating device not required or permitted in this code, nor shall any lamp or illuminating device be mounted inside a vehicle unless specifically permitted by this code. This section does not apply to:

(a) Interior lamps such as door, brake and instrument lamps, and map, dash, and dome lamps designed and used for the purpose of illuminating the interior of the vehicle.

(b) Lamps needed in the operation or utilization of those vehicles mentioned in Section 25801, or vehicles used by public utilities in the repair or maintenance of their service, or used only for the illumination of cargo space of a vehicle while loading or unloading.

(c) Warning lamps mounted inside an authorized emergency vehicle and meeting requirements established by the department.
SickWitIt

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:33 am

Nice post - I need to "go through" ohio laws so some members from Ohio get the downlow here on the website. Nice job.
creatorofchaos

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:50 pm

so if I have a cold cathode light on the inside of my car can i get in trouble under 24003?
squarepusher

Post Sat May 17, 2008 6:50 am

Racerjr wrote:
I was looking at neon Lights for my car and needed the answer to everybodys question is it legal?? And the questions is yes you can install them and drive with them on. no mater what color even blue and red. you might get pulled over but you can take them to court and win. the catch 22 is that your tubes cant show. the law states that the light cant shine foward. but if you cant see the tube then the light is pointing down which excludes this from the law. here is the law and the cvc numbers

25400. (a) Any vehicle may be equipped with a lamp or device on the exterior of the vehicle that emits a diffused nonglaring light of not more than 0.05 candela per square inch of area.

(b) Any diffused nonglaring light shall not display red to the front, but may display other colors. A diffused nonglaring light shall not resemble nor be installed within 12 inches or in such position as to interfere with the visibility or effectiveness of any required lamp, reflector, or other device upon the vehicle.

this seems to be a contradiction, do you have anywhere that says specifically as long as the TUBES dont show, you should be OK?[/b]
Cooper

Post Sun May 18, 2008 10:10 am

I have each of these laws printed out off the dmv.ca website and I carry them with my insurance / registration . I'm hoping if I ever get pulled over for lighting I can show the officer that I tried to do my homework and thought I was within the law .
I just have to be careful that I present them in a non-confrontational way so as not to antagonize them . icon_biggrin.gif

Also, you get +20 points for your first post actually being useful research instead of a really lame question that's been answered 100 times before . biglaugh.gif
markwerline

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:43 pm

Cooper wrote:
I have each of these laws printed out off the dmv.ca website and I carry them with my insurance / registration . I'm hoping if I ever get pulled over for lighting I can show the officer that I tried to do my homework and thought I was within the law .
I just have to be careful that I present them in a non-confrontational way so as not to antagonize them . icon_biggrin.gif

Also, you get +20 points for your first post actually being useful research instead of a really lame question that's been answered 100 times before . biglaugh.gif
]

This just happened to me and I provided the print out of the CVC 25400. After 25 minutes of debating with two other cops that pulled over as well, I was cited and told to provide documentation to traffic court stating that the light source has been tested and that it is within the .05 candela requirement and the underglow was red and he deemed it showing red to the front. I almost completely got out of a citiation until he deemed that my red liscense plate lamps were unathorized, even though he cited it under the wrong CVC. After doing some research of CVC 24601, I can't argue that they are unathorized, but its a fix it ticket and those take 2 seconds to swap out then put back in later.

however, The question remains.... Does anyone know of a facility or method of testing photometrics. I really want to prove people wrong here and all we have in CA left to do is prove that our "diffused nonglaring" Inferno kits are within compliance of .05 candela per square inch. (ofcourse having the kit set to purple while being tested as it has the least candela emittence.)

So what do you guys have for this?......
Cooper

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:33 am

I would call around to a few local garages to see if they have a photometer, but somehow I doubt its very common . You can purchase them online through various websites . I remember seeing one in a catalog while I was sitting on the can.. maybe its still in the bathroom, I'll check .
The time now is Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:52 pm
Page 1 of 1