Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Help I am so clueless under dash led strip light

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:29 pm

Hi, I want to install 2 Piranha Bars under my dash to brighten up the car a bit, I would like it tied in with the dome light but I am a really clueless on how to do this. Is there a step by step guide for idiots. Is it easier to install a rocker switch? Is there a step by step guide for idiots. I will be working on a first gen scion xb.
thanks, any advice would help a shopping list especially.
yoshisdad
jdusty914

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:31 pm

First off please search for the post about the dome light wiring or a relay.....Then look at the installation stickies...
Kevin_S

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:42 pm

Shopping list:
2 Piranha Bars
15-20' 18ga wire
Fancy connectors of your choosing (or just some black tape)
Someone who knows where the line that controls the dome light is

Find the line, splice in and run to positive of the piranha bars.
Ground the piranha bars somewhere handy.

Woot! that sums up 3 hours of work in two sentences.
yoshisdad

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:43 pm

thanks
Kierra

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:47 pm

everything kevin_s said plus this:

for the rocker switch method:
yes it is easy to install a rocker switch. just get a drill with a 3/4 bit and do a little shaving on the panel or the switch and its set. the rest is plus in or solder. The switch would allow it to turn on when you chose, and it would probably be a little less confusing for a first time installer.

dome light method: Im not familiar with scion lighting wires and switch positions in relation to wire but the lights will only act as a quick courtesy light when the doors are open or the alarm is it(only when dome light is turned on, depending on where it is wired into on that line).
ofd25

Post Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:56 am

Kevin_S wrote:
Shopping list:
2 Piranha Bars
15-20' 18ga wire
Fancy connectors of your choosing (or just some black tape)
Someone who knows where the line that controls the dome light is

Find the line, splice in and run to positive of the piranha bars.
Ground the piranha bars somewhere handy.

Woot! that sums up 3 hours of work in two sentences.

when "splicing", is it best to solder it? if so, how would you go about doing that? i can solder but i've never done it in a car and am assuming it would be cramped and messy....
jdusty914

Post Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:21 am

You could solder in the car...I have done it...just put down either some rag or plastic or newspaper below you so you dont mess up the interior.....
ofd25

Post Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:57 am

jdusty914 wrote:
You could solder in the car...I have done it...just put down either some rag or plastic or newspaper below you so you dont mess up the interior.....

thats what i was assuming... i didnt know if you guys like pulled what you wanted to solder out then soldered it in your shop or wherever, then put it back in to avoid messingup the interior. but yes, thank you!
jdusty914

Post Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:02 pm

I prefer to pull it out if I can...I would not cut up a wire just to solder it though...
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:14 pm

if you have Stock interior lights in your footwells you can splice into the power of those. then just unhook the bulb (take it out of the ballast) Thats What I did for my door panels.
criticalaudioinc

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:27 pm

As stated above would be the easy way to do it. You might also want to look into diode isolation to protect if there is a surge of any type to be safe. If you do have the interior blubs look in the fuse box for the boom light fuse and locate the wire for connection and tape into that. Normally there would a relay that is connected to a door pin ( driver side normally) that allows the dome lights to turn or by the switch that is located on the front dash but you will need to look at a wiring diagram to locate the correct wire that has a 12volt output once turned on.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:42 pm

the stock door-pin switches only put out like...4 volts. since they activate a relay thats 12v
yoshisdad

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:52 am

Well the Pirhana bars and rocker switch came in today, I forgot to order a fuse and fuse holder so I will stop at the local car place and hope they have them . I am skipping the dome light option and just hooking up directly. I read somewhere that I can power it straight from the battery. Wish me luck.. LOL
rhpham2

Post Thu May 01, 2008 11:10 pm

well it depends on if your dome is negitively switch or positively switched...check out my post...search negatively switch and look for my name....
lbjshaq2345

Post Fri May 02, 2008 8:19 pm

Check out scionlife.com for help specific to your vehicle, there's alot of idiots there, but a few helpful ones as well icon_razz.gif
The time now is Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:15 pm
Page 1 of 1