Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Is it Show Car Status yet?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:04 pm

I want to start putting my suv into car shows, do you guys think that this is enough lighting to get adleast top 3.

Then no one else has a Grand Vitara 07 like mine, too. points on that, right

In my gallery.. chk it out, GIVE ME POINTERS
User posted image
Brandon

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:51 pm

Depends the show. Bigger shows, probably not. At big shows not only does the top lighting car need to be a true show car, but strobes and multiple colors are pretty important.
Tim

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:06 pm

They are suckers for million color kits.
kornholio788

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:20 pm

OK I myself drive a full out show car. Most here can vouch for me in saying that. My car isn't your average neon. Body kit, air ride, chrome wheels, wing, WORKING ON crazy interior, sound system, the whole works. And here is my honest opinion. I go to ALOT of car shows. I have placed and do have some first place trophies for different categories. There aren't all that many glow shows around here but I have been to a couple. Needless to say I have ALOT more glow than you. The rarity of your car doesn't have much to do with it. And I still have yet to place in a glow comp. Even with the show car status that my car has I haven't taken a trophy. You are going to need ALOT more lights, more colors, strobes, and a good variety of glow in a hell of a lot of places. You also want something that is very unique. Very hard to do with so much out there but you need something that will catch the judges eyes and go, "holy cow never seen something like that before" You aren't going to make it with just some under glow, some interior glow, and some glow in the grill. You need eye popping modifications. Moving parts always helps as well. Moving as in actuators and air solenoids.

Just some tips right now. I would type more but I am working on my car right. Got my wheels back on and she is layin body kit. Man does she look nice laid out. Tuckin muh wheels icon_smile.gif Good luck dude.

The korny one.

Last edited by kornholio788 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:39 pm

Million colors icon_biggrin.gif
kornholio788

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:42 pm

Tdawgthegreatest wrote:

Still not enough. Both me and aken have ice. And back when he had his crazy set up. We both lost. Aken should have won. But a million color kit won't do it. You need a mod that no one else has.
robbie

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:50 pm

Yeah anymore you have to have something insane. Like an ICE led dash setup. I can't explain it but it would be ICE running through the entire dash and then just all kinds of crazy things.
AREA 51

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:13 pm

although I did lose to aken in the 2nd to last glow show this car entered SOMEHOW?? LOL

Anyway, my point is I have entered a bunch and took home quite few glow trophies including repeating 3 years in a row in manitowoc and i had a lot done and this was 2 years ago when stuff wasnt nearly as nice as it is today in lighting. You gotta really bring game to beat some people out there now with LEDs being able to slide in anywhere and be waterproof

people (including me) get tired of seeing this car but its a visual for what won then and add to that what wins now with imagination and you'll know how far to go if showing it is what you want.

HIN chicago

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

that damn infamous aken

User posted image

User posted image

TIR3 strobes in wheel well. One of the first few to pull it off

User posted image

To compete and win today you would have to be able to beat this car (ryan71489) or cars like it in your area. In my opinion this is really close to the new standard in glow with all the products out there today

ryan71489

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:25 pm

Damn man that made me feel good lol Since that pic i installed a blue UB tube on the drivers side and a green UB tube on the passenger side. I also have strobes in the headlights and i just ordered wheels and im getting ym exhaust done this weekend. Im also buying like 2 more sets of strobes(4 each) and getting single strobes for random places on the car. I never considered my car as show ready but hey! Thanks! As to you black fire just keep glowin it up possibilites are endless!!

Last edited by ryan71489 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total
Spawn

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 pm

I can offer the opinion on the rarity factor. Being one of maybe 6 show level modified Santa Fe's in both countries I can give that point of view. As Korn said, just having something rare isn't going to get you massive points. Normally you get grouped in with rides that you shouldn't be, or into a class which you might get your **** handed to you in (2006 importfest I was bumped from Asian-Other to All SUV's, hard for the little korean SUV to beat Escalades, meh).

Don't go in worrying about whether or not you are going to get hardware or not, do it up so you like it, show it off, and gauge your success on the reaction of the people checking it out.

That being said, my recommendation is to check out this list. it's the judging criteria sheet for the IASCA Tuner Jam competetions. It should give you a good idea of your chances at a show.

http://www.aftermarketproductions.ca/tunerjam.php
(FYI I fall into Street or Custom depending on the show and have a 3 page modsheet, http://www.cardomain.com/ride/678252)
blackfire07

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:52 pm

Spawn, let me just say i feel ur pain when we got to compete to escalades and cars like that. The Grand Vitara and Santa Fe got to stick together. I wish i could compete with other grand vitara's but i cant find any other GV's out there.

At first i was like nice setup u got then i looked at more pics of ya car, then i saw the whole trunk i laughed so hard cause i didnt get that impression at first, that it would have a whole dj booth back there.

my car domain.... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2984286
mx107marlin

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:16 pm

If you have to ask... it's not ready....

Not being a ****, but go to a show or two around where you're at and just look... you can tell if your car is better than theirs or not.
Spawn

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:39 pm

blackfire07 wrote:
Spawn, let me just say i feel ur pain when we got to compete to escalades and cars like that. The Grand Vitara and Santa Fe got to stick together. I wish i could compete with other grand vitara's but i cant find any other GV's out there.

At first i was like nice setup u got then i looked at more pics of ya car, then i saw the whole trunk i laughed so hard cause i didnt get that impression at first, that it would have a whole dj booth back there.

my car domain.... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2984286

See, and that is MY show stopper. Not many people think that, usually good for a laugh when I roll up pop the trunk and extend the stand. ;)
pOrk

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:59 pm

kornholio788 wrote:
OK I myself drive a full out show car. Most here can vouch for me in saying that. My car isn't your average neon. Body kit, air ride, chrome wheels, wing, crazy interior, sound system, the whole works. And here is my honest opinion. I go to ALOT of car shows. I have placed and do have some first place trophies for different categories. There aren't all that many glow shows around here but I have been to a couple. Needless to say I have ALOT more glow than you. The rarity of your car doesn't have much to do with it. And I still have yet to place in a glow comp. Even with the show car status that my car has I haven't taken a trophy. You are going to need ALOT more lights, more colors, strobes, and a good variety of glow in a hell of a lot of places. You also want something that is very unique. Very hard to do with so much out there but you need something that will catch the judges eyes and go, "holy cow never seen something like that before" You aren't going to make it with just some under glow, some interior glow, and some glow in the grill. You need eye popping modifications. Moving parts always helps as well. Moving as in actuators and air solenoids.

Just some tips right now. I would type more but I am working on my car right. Got my wheels back on and she is layin body kit. Man does she look nice laid out. Tuckin muh wheels icon_smile.gif Good luck dude.

The korny one.

Full Out Show Car? I hope you aren't serious.

Your interior looks like ****, as does your trunk. The exterior look good, but so far thats it Dan. No offense of course, but you got a ways to go.
Drifting10

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:00 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^ race war!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^
robbie

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:01 pm

LOL yes final something interesting. icon_twisted.gif
pOrk

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:10 pm

Its not about winning trophys its more about having fun and showing off your hard work imho.

But I did win a few trophy's for lights ( among other things ) with my car, not a show car by any means but here are a few photos so you get an idea of what worked for me:

User posted image
robbie

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:12 pm

Dang pork thats is so **** amazing.
pOrk

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:13 pm

kornholio788 wrote:
Tdawgthegreatest wrote:

Still not enough. Both me and aken have ice. And back when he had his crazy set up. We both lost. Aken should have won. But a million color kit won't do it. You need a mod that no one else has.

I beat Aken when he had ICE and I didn't, I WIN icon_smile.gif Its all about the over all look
ryan71489

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:14 pm

wow awesome setup in the trunk pork!! Did you do it yourself?
pOrk

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:15 pm

robbie wrote:
Dang pork thats is so **** amazing.

Thanks Robbie icon_smile.gif

Heres another one for good measure:

robbie

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:15 pm

ICE FTL. LOl biglaugh.gif

Kidding to all the ICE owners. Nice though pork good work. Man i love the way you do your stuff always tasteful. I love that front end and the hood, and the engine GAH!!!

Hey got a question. I see the clear tube with i beleive tint and then lights. What about a clear tube i could run in the extra Lowering spring i have thats not to a set, That way when i get then engine glow going i could put a nice glowing tube like that inside of the spring. I think it would be neat.
pOrk

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:18 pm

ryan71489 wrote:
wow awesome setup in the trunk pork!! Did you do it yourself?

Yes sir, the two air tanks are mounted to a rather large L bracket to the floor and there are two compressors behind that. Then the sub boxes I made out of 3/4" MDF and fiber glass. The half ass build thread for those is here:

https://www.oznium.com/forum/topic10483
pOrk

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:22 pm

robbie wrote:
ICE FTL. LOl biglaugh.gif

Kidding to all the ICE owners. Nice though pork good work. Man i love the way you do your stuff always tasteful. I love that front end and the hood, and the engine GAH!!!

Hey got a question. I see the clear tube with i beleive tint and then lights. What about a clear tube i could run in the extra Lowering spring i have thats not to a set, That way when i get then engine glow going i could put a nice glowing tube like that inside of the spring. I think it would be neat.

The tube isn't clear, it was a plastic tube from the inside of a roll of window film that I cut shorter and had the guy at the sticker shop cut me a chunk of vinyl that I applied over the tube. Two cathodes inside of the tube, and I installed a quick disconnect wire inside the tube and another that I could drop down in the grille when not in use.
robbie

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:26 pm

Oh ok still. THe same concept is the same though. I want some kind of tube with i guess some kind of covering or something to help spread or filter light, then i want to slide it down a spring i have. That way i would have the spring hold up the hood and then light insdie of it.? Possible?
pOrk

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:34 pm

Sure, go to the hardware store and see if you can find some clear tubing. Then sand blast the tubing or sand it with like 80 grit to frost it, and put it inside a spring. MONEY.

I used an air bag for awhile once my tube stopped working:

User posted image
robbie

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:49 pm

Very nice. Thanks for the tips man. Will do i need a nice piece for there and this should work perfect. Also i picked up the tech 2.0 wax tonight will be doing it when i get nice weather. Also got a claybar. Sorry to go a little off topic.
pOrk

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:35 pm

Let me know how tech 2 works out dude
robbie

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:40 pm

Will do as soon as i get a nice run of good days going to claybar wax wash the whole nine yards. Just got a buffer to use on it too when i do it. So as soon as i get it done i'll let you know how i like it and get pics so you can see it.
mx107marlin

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:00 pm

Hey Pork... What's that computer looking thing in the last picture (the one with the airbag) on the far left (passenger side)?
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:44 pm

mx107marlin wrote:
Hey Pork... What's that computer looking thing in the last picture (the one with the airbag) on the far left (passenger side)?

was wondering the same thing
kornholio788

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:55 am

pOrk wrote:

Your interior looks like ****, as does your trunk. The exterior look good, but so far thats it Dan. No offense of course, but you got a ways to go.

Ugh. Never said it was done. Half the interior is out of the car right now and is in primer. All perfectly smooth. The trunk will also be getting some glass this summer. I know this may sound crazy but have the words "Work in progress" or "project car" sound crazy at all? lol. Silly boy.

Last edited by kornholio788 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total
robbie

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:05 am

Lol very nice. I think you should drive around with no interior. Who needs that ****. THat would be rare and unique wouldn't it lol. biglaugh.gif jk
kornholio788

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:10 am

robbie wrote:
Lol very nice. I think you should drive around with no interior. Who needs that ****. THat would be rare and unique wouldn't it lol. biglaugh.gif jk

Lol. Werd. Becuase i plan on never doing anymore work to it anymore. lol. Porky is just jelous because he wants lambos

*runs* hahah
robbie

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:14 am

haha. I say you tear it halfway apart and then take it to shows. YOu know only keep the impoort stuff. The wheels, body kit, doors, but everything else isnt needed. Tell them its a new thing to drive around half put together helps reduce weight lol. biglaugh.gif
Chris

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:55 am

I dont know dan. I don't see yours as a "full out show car".

I see yours as a DD semi-tastefully done riceon. The only reason why I included that last part is because last time I saw the interior pictures, I thought it looked like hell.

That is my two cents though, don't go taking it as a bad thing. Think of it as constructive criticism.
kornholio788

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:08 am

Chris wrote:
I dont know dan. I don't see yours as a "full out show car".

I see yours as a DD semi-tastefully done riceon. The only reason why I included that last part is because last time I saw the interior pictures, I thought it looked like hell.

That is my two cents though, don't go taking it as a bad thing. Think of it as constructive criticism.

That is the only way I ever do. Like I said. Interior is going to be completely different when I am done in like a month or so. Trust me. Little hint. Glass + base clear black = sexy. Last years projects were exterior. This year is all interior and sounds and glassin stuff and glow. I work alot and am always donig something so I don't get to be able to finish projects really fast and get things done quick.

But thanks for the notes.
pOrk

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:18 am

mx107marlin wrote:

fuse box

kornholio788 wrote:
pOrk wrote:

Ugh. Never said it was done. Half the interior is out of the car right now and is in primer. All perfectly smooth. The trunk will also be getting some glass this summer. I know this may sound crazy but have the words "Work in progress" or "project car" sound crazy at all? lol. Silly boy.

You said in your post your interior was crazy. Lime green spray bomb is not crazy, nor is factory upholstry.
robbie

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:30 am

And the battle ensues lol. biglaugh.gif

Hey pork, you engine is done with cathodes i beleive, did you ever have problem with water?
kornholio788

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:45 am

pOrk wrote:
You said in your post your interior was crazy. Lime green spray bomb is not crazy, nor is factory upholstry.

I am sorry. I shall change that post. It is going to be crazy. So picky. Down boy. Is me calling my car a show car that big of a deal to you? Are you going to loose sleep over this? sleeping.gif
I can't do everything at once. Some projects take longer than others.
Knox

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:32 am

It all depends on the judges really. At all the shows in South Florida I've been beaten by cars with much less work into them. That was with the Blazer and the Sierra.
The judges down here are huge fans of bolt ons. icon_confused.gif
pOrk

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:54 pm

Never had a problem with my cathodes under the hood.

Dan, shut up.
Moss

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:39 pm

Less time posting more time on the car Korn.
robbie

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:47 pm

Thanks pork. I appreciate it. I am thiniking of going cathode in the engine for an all around glow instead of led based.
clutch1

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:18 pm

Cathodes for engine glow are super easy, too, since you don't have to aim them/ etc!
robbie

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:21 pm

Exactly which is what i am going for the most glow with as little work as possible. And led strips seems like it would be a little more difficult. Also do they need a silcone water proofing?
kornholio788

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:24 pm

robbie wrote:
Exactly which is what i am going for the most glow with as little work as possible. And led strips seems like it would be a little more difficult. Also do they need a silcone water proofing?

No some are. Go to the led stipspage. Look at the bottom. Nice little chart that shows which are water proof and what ones aren't
https://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-strips
robbie

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:26 pm

I know some of the led strips are. I was wondering is the cathodes need to be waterproofed.
kornholio788

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:28 pm

robbie wrote:
I know some of the led strips are. I was wondering is the cathodes need to be waterproofed.

Ohh it sounded like you were asking about the leds. But yes the cathodes do need water proofing. Along with teh transformer if it is going to see water/weathering. Just use some silicone on the ends and fill the tranny box with it. Tis what I did and it always worked fine.
robbie

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:32 pm

Ok thanks man i think that will be one of my next lighting projects. Really need to get the engine going.
pOrk

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:57 am

I just wrapped my transformers with electrical tape. Never waterproofed the cathodes.
robbie

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:48 am

Ok thanks pork for the tip. I am going to be doing this soon as i have no engine glow and is dpresses me lol. biglaugh.gif
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:14 pm
Page 1 of 1