Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

In the works- Audi style LEDs

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:38 pm

Here's my project currently in progress: Oznium products at work. I did have a problem with one of the 19" LEDs, the color band was not consistent- so i had to re-do one of the headlamps - thank goodness i ordered 3 sets of 19" (Oznium- are u listening?)
Both headlamps are done, i just need final sealing and it's good to go for install. It's been sitting in my living room for 2 weeks now- just need time to install (requires removal of bumpers)
User posted image
User posted image

Here's my curent set up. The ''angelbrows" will be removed once the new Audi style led project is installed. The lower fog grill led stays as auxiliary lights when fogs not in use.
User posted image
User posted image[/img]
robbie

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:44 pm

Good work. All these audi r8 style installs are getting big. Still looks great.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:48 pm

I have NEVER liked seeing visible lights/tubes.

But that just looks plain sexy
tiptronic

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:15 pm

Tdawgthegreatest wrote:
I have NEVER liked seeing visible lights/tubes.

But that just looks plain sexy

Thanks! I will share photos once completed. So far- the current LEDs installed gets a lot of attention from other high-end cars. Gotten props from new 1 Series driver, props from a mbz e and cls drivers. and weird stares from jdm drivers icon_confused.gif

e
Drifting10

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:04 pm

wow man thats some good clean work you did!

I LOVE it! puppy_dog_eyes.gif
Tat2Dragons

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:06 pm

Drifting10 wrote:
wow man thats some good clean work you did!

I LOVE it! puppy_dog_eyes.gif

I totally agree,those look awesome. icon_cool.gif
mx107marlin

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:29 pm

I still don't like it...

Sorry.. .it was very clean work and a nice install, but just not my style... one of these days I'll do one of these and show how I'd do them... I just can't stand seeing LED's... The strips are definitely better than single LED's because they're evenly spaced. I like this install better than the previous person's install, it just looks cleaner, but it's still not my style.

Sorry, Like I said.. great work...
Acey

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:35 pm

I'm so embarassed that you actually have an Audi vehicle upon which to unleash this project. It looks awesome man.

mx107marlin wrote:
Sorry.. .it was very clean work and a nice install, but just not my style... one of these days I'll do one of these and show how I'd do them... I just can't stand seeing LED's... The strips are definitely better than single LED's because they're evenly spaced. I like this install better than the previous person's install, it just looks cleaner, but it's still not my style.

I'd love to see how you'd do them... because I tried to replicate the R8 as closely as possible with my install. I got nothing but compliments for them last night, and there may be some funky reflections in my pictures but I measured carefully and all the LED's are in fact evenly spaced.

tiptronic wrote:
weird stares from jdm drivers icon_confused.gif

I got some weird stares with my lights too. But your setup just looks like pure class. Two thumbs up.
mx107marlin

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:45 pm

Hey, I'm not ragging on you man, it's just personal preference... Maybe evenly spaced wasn't the correct term, they are closer and look more uniform because of it i guess...

I'm not sure that the way I'd do it would achieve the same effect as these do, I don't really like the R8 LED's the way they come from Audi... like I said, just my preference... I know you got all kinds of compliments, as well as from me.. I complimented your work, I like the install, I just don't like the way they look...

I said that I liked his install better than yours, yet again personal preference, but... if you get all bent out of shape... get over it and do it differently next time... Don't take offense.

Don't lose confidence in yourself because one person (me) didn't like the way it looks... if everyone that customized cars did that, we wouldn't have any crazy cars or new concepts.
Acey

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:01 pm

Thanks man I definitely appreciate your comments and the help you've given me on this forum. Thanks for the compliments, I didn't mean to come across as snobby.
tiptronic

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:02 pm

I know some will not like it. Besides the A3 does not come with OEM LEDs - not yet until the new facelifted A3 comes out sometimes this year or next. But I thought I'd share this project for others who has an A3 or Audi, or by any means, other car brands.
Since I got a great deal on the projection headlights, I went ahead and modded it before they were installed. Also added real HID ballast/bulb/igniter, basically at this point it will be 'plug and play' It's just a b*tch to get the bumpers off and install the headlamps. Nevertheless, thanks for the feedbacks.
The A3's headlamp innards let me work on the LEDs very easily- where it fits under the black plastic trim which acts as a 'hood/shade' so that the LEDs can still be seen during daytime.
The light output is actually brighter once they are connected to the car's powersource, for now, just for this photo op- i used a 9volt battery to power the leds.
User posted image
User posted image[/img]
tiptronic

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:17 pm

Acey wrote:
I'm so embarassed that you actually have an Audi vehicle upon which to unleash this project. It looks awesome man.

I got some weird stares with my lights too. But your setup just looks like pure class. Two thumbs up.

Acey- thanks for your comments. I would have used superflux LEDs like the ones you've placed on your car- but that would have caused me more headaches to arrange inside the headlamps--and if i was to actually use those type of LEDs - I probably wouldve purchased a more powerful Luxeon Linear LEDs- but would've definitely cost considerably more fitting it with heatsink, resistors, etc...(yes i've done my research icon_lol.gif ) Thankfully these ones from Oznium works perfect! As you can see on the other pics- (front of the car w/ the current LEDs)- the lower LEDs which are the same type LEDs i have placed inside the headlamps are very bright! The camera doesn't do justice at all. The "angelbrows" are SMDs and are not as bright as the lower LEDs.
robbie

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:19 pm

Damn i can not get over how nice of an effect it adds to you car.

Just bought new headlights and can do leds in them because they have no casing to proct the leds. Good stuff though man. White leds with your car looks sicks.
tiptronic

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:30 pm

robbie wrote:
Damn i can not get over how nice of an effect it adds to you car.

Just bought new headlights and can do leds in them because they have no casing to proct the leds. Good stuff though man. White leds with your car looks sicks.

Robbie,

Thanks! Perhaps for your car- you should opt to place the LED strip under the bumpers? Like the pics i shown of the "current" LEDs i have on the car, just a suggestion. I was going get the S6 LED DRLs- ($399.00!!!!!) but i will lose my fogs completely for that mod- so i did my own custom fitted (lotsa trials with different materials). So far- almost 3 months - been through heavy rain storms, cold, heat, carwash, 100+mph speed- and has held up well. And my foglights still fully functional. The fogs for my car is very helpful on mountain twisties and canyon driving at night as it lights up both lef and right side of the road.
Drifting10

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:33 pm

you know what would be cool?

Take leds and make the rings on the front clear and make all the rings glow with the white leds!
robbie

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:37 pm

No problem. Yeah had though about it but soon will be changing to a svt bumper with projector fogs i picked up from a guy on here. Will hopefully find something to do if not i still got some nice headlights finally.
tiptronic

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:43 pm

Drifting10 wrote:
you know what would be cool?

Take leds and make the rings on the front clear and make all the rings glow with the white leds!

Thanks for the suggestion--but I want to keep it simple and hopefully be mistaken for OEM. Placing LEDs on the "FourRings" is a total Audi blasphemy! I belong in an Audi and VW club and i will never hear the end of it..haha. The projection headlamps that I have modded came with "Angel Eyes" or "Halo" a la BMW. I will not be connecting those- as they are BMW trademark, hence the LED project. icon_wink.gif
I did played with the idea of "copying" the LED concepts on the concept Audi V12 TDI Q7 (do a search on YouTube- Q7 V12 TDi and you'll see what i mean).. however, it made my project a bit too complicated so i reverted to these simple "audi TT" style leds.

e
Drifting10

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:45 pm

lol ah didnt know that was treason man lol ma bad
Ryan88

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:44 pm

That's bad ass.

I really like the eyebrows you have on now.
tiptronic

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:48 pm

Ryan88 wrote:
That's bad ass.

I really like the eyebrows you have on now.

Here ya go Ryan88 just for you (w the Lower LEDs and Fogs OFF)
User posted image[/img]
tiptronic

Post Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:03 am

I havent had time to resize the photos to post here, but here's another website i go to- and there's pics in there:
Knox

Post Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:43 am

That looks great man! icon_cool.gif
Chris

Post Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:52 am

One of the cleanest installs I have ever seen! Nice work!
kornholio788

Post Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:32 am

I am not a fan of viewable light sources but I think your "Eyebrows" look way badass and look 100xs better than the r8 lights. I say keep the eyebrows. Those are sick.
codyo32689

Post Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:50 pm

looks sick man
tiptronic

Post Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:21 pm

Thanks.. i'm going to try and get some daytime photos and post...

e
tiptronic

Post Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:07 pm

here's a couple more pics:

User posted image
User posted image

Fooled some driver thinking they were being tailed by an S5- well almost..
User posted image
RRSport

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:10 pm

I've done them on LR's as well. This is not my pic, but it is my work. Thank god for my RRS, i only have to open the hood to remove the lights, oh and pull the grill out which is oinly held by six clips, takes 2 seconds max.

User posted image
tano001

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:05 pm

are those the flexible led strips from oznium?? btw good job on the install im thinking of doing somthing similar since one of my halos burnt out or i might try to fix the halos
Ryan88

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:48 pm

They look great! I still think I like the top eyebrows better.
RRSport

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:04 pm

no they're not from ozium. they dont fit properly on top so they were put on the bottom. I truthfuly dont care for them on the RRS myself. Halos look beter. The lights do not have the angle like and eye does, they are to boxy to get the audi eddect going on.
tiptronic

Post Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:32 pm

Im thinking of replacing the led strip with 4chip superflux-- but trying to figure out how many im going to need and i would need to create a custom housing to fit in the headlamps... Im trying to match the Audi TT-S led lights.

e
blue one

Post Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:47 pm

looks good, nice install.
The time now is Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:14 pm
Page 1 of 1