Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Even subtler MINI MOD: $15 front spoiler

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:58 pm

I can't claim credit for this one, but it IS a mice little MOD for $15. This is a simple lower spoiler lip, made from a piece of standard garage door closed-cell foam - the 9' length was MORE than enough for my car:

User posted image

Before:

User posted image

User posted image

After:

User posted image

User posted image

As you can see, the "lip" is quite flexible.

User posted image

For only a $7 part (the rest of the cost was screws, washers and the 2-sided tape), I don't expect it will last until Fall, but if it starts to warp, wrinkle or tatter, I can replace it in about 10 minutes for $7.

It's installed with 2-sided tape and then reinforced with 10 1/2" screws fitted with 1" fender washers screwed into the bottom of the black plastic bumper - much more then enough holding force for something that only weighs a few ounce.

The angled ends were cut with scissors - It took a few tries to get just the right angle, but luckily there was several feet of extra material. so I was able to experiment on the beginning end with 6 or 7 different cuts before deciding on the best one.

I don't see why you couldn't use this material to extend ANY lower lip 2" or so for only a few bucks. It's a subtle mod, but one that I think helps the overall look...
Cooper

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:22 pm

Dig it . I've seen this floating around the Miata boards quite a lot . Inexpensive, flexible, durable, easy to install, looks good.. don't see any downsides . icon_biggrin.gif
BLAZER_97

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:23 pm

Wow, thats nice, looks sleek too
ImagoX

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:25 pm

The only downside I can see is if I bottom out in a driveway or something the stuff will just SHRED I'm sure... but like I said, for only $7 a 9' roll, I might just keep a spare roll in the garage, just in case... If it wer 3" instead of 2.5" and ust a BIT beefier, I think it would be perfect - I'll keep my eyes peeled for rubber trim of various sorts.

Gotta love hardware store MODs.
Tat2Dragons

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:31 pm

Very nice little mod,I like it. icon_cool.gif
ShadowBOX

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:37 pm

Looks much better than I would expect. I only clear my driveway by 1/16" now, so this mod is a no no for me. Great idea though!
mx107marlin

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:40 pm

Nice, I love it... Very slick, seamless, and worth ever penny I'm sure.
robbie

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:01 pm

Very nice. I wonder if i could pull something like this off on the focus?
Lankhimself

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:45 pm

Looks great. I love that D-ring too.
blktbon20s

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:09 pm

I LOVE IT!!!!!!
looks awesome!..gives the front a nicer more aggressive look..if u get a chance take some pics from farther away
Kierra

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:18 pm

ok so now heres what you do.. have a buddy drive next to you, and drive at highway speeds to see how flexible this this is, or if/how badly it flaps in the high speed winds..

Very nice cheap mod.. gj on it.
codyo32689

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:39 pm

great idea and at a low cost...you got my props great mod bro
Tim

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:41 pm

Matt is the king of cheap great looking mods.

I remember when he came home with 5 sheets of metal from a department store that closed. I think he used it for a grill and sold the others on a Mini forum and made his money back.
Black DX

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:24 pm

There is a similar mod suggested for civics using the garden edge trim plastic, if done right it can look like a damned good lip, if done wrong it will look ghetto.

I like this mod tho, simple, subtle and easy to replace if damaged, can't say that for a fiberglass or carbon fiber lip which I know for sure I'd murder going in and out of my driveway (muffler is already suffering from it icon_mad.gif )....
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:30 pm

haha, thats pretty slick.
Fo_SheeZy

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:26 pm

Man that's actually pretty cool!
Drifting10

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:28 pm

lol looks nice you should bag it then you can use the front as a squeegee biglaugh.gif
ImagoX

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:35 pm

Drifting10 wrote:
lol looks nice you should bag it then you can use the front as a squeegee biglaugh.gif

icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif
robbie

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:36 pm

Hey imago, DO you think something like this would be feasible for the focus?
Kierra

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:44 pm

because it is so flexible, i would assume its possible for any car.
ImagoX

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:47 pm

I'd agree... For $15, try it - if you hate it, you're basically only out your time.
kornholio788

Post Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:06 am

Lookos good. Alot of people do this and it is amazing how good it can look. And it came froma hardware store hah. Awsome dude. You pulled it off again.
Radioflyer

Post Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:57 am

Point for creativity and OEM appearence
02BlueStang

Post Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:12 am

nice....looks exactly like my old Mach chin spoiler I had on the stang before the Roush front end...and I paid 85 bucks for it...

I personally like the fact that if you bottom out you can just take it off and throw another one on icon_cool.gif
Cooper

Post Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:42 pm

Here's a thread on this from Club Roadster.. its got a bunch of pics, maybe some good ideas in there.. plus some discussion of which products people used . Looks like they've got some kind of garden edging that's a little wider than the door molding .

Edit: Looking at your pictures again though, what you used (or how you mounted) seems to bring the bottom of the edging out just a little though.. which gives it a more pleasing angle . Closer to the look of the actual aftermarket lips . Its subtle, but I like it better than the straight up and down look on the Miatas .
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:53 pm

bah. Imagox looks alot better than theirs.
mx107marlin

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:21 am

Tdawgthegreatest wrote:
bah. Imagox looks alot better than theirs.

X2

That's the stuff that I used to rip off cars and things like that... they look like mudflaps, not really spoilers... I like the angled look better anyways, not to mention that IIRC, that paver edging is pretty sturdy (Read: Brittle) I'm sure the first rock, dead animal, road debris, or driveway that thing hits will knock a clean section out of it....

ImagoX's looks a ton better, I'll be using this vs the paver edging (if I do it at all)
clutch1

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:31 am

Omg! I never realized, but I bet I could fix up all the little black sidings on my car with this.. and they need it.

Looks great on the Mini, too!

I gots me a new project icon_twisted.gif
ImagoX

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:35 am

Thanks for the compliments, guys... But the garage door stuff isn't perfect - in all fairness, here's what I'm finding

PROS:

* Cheap - $7 for 9'. You do the math.

* Correct angle - the angle you see is molded right in. The part that attaches to the car is actually totally flat, and very easy to install.

*Flexible - it's made of rubber closed-cell material, which is important because of the curve - if it were more rigid, it might not bend smoothly through that gentle sweeping curve.

CONS:

*Very thin - the material is so deformable that the screws I used to secure it made "ripples" in the material. They're subtle (for now), but I'm totally anal. If they get worse, I'll yank the thing off and try the brick edging in the linked thread.

*No idea on durability - since this is made for garage doors, where nobody CARES what it looks like, I have no idea how well (or not) it will weather. In a few months it may be a rippled, fraying mess for all I know. Luckily, if it does look like crap, I'll be able to yank it off without shedding a tear - for $7 I literally don't care.

I think the IDEAL material would be something a bit more "rubbery" that's 3" or even 3.5" (the door stuff is 2 1/4"), but I have no idea if anything is out there that has the right angle. I'll keep my eyes peeled though.

PS - I'm thinking this stuff would be GREAT for stealthing my Beefy Strip UB lighting - my last set was slightly visible from the sides, and if this stuff works like i THINK it will, I think it will cover the LEDs while also adding no weight - it's even angled outwards, so that the light will be allowed to spread! Wish me luck...
mx107marlin

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:41 am

To fix the ripples, why not take some hard flat plastic material to put like a giant washer between your screws and the door material... have the screws go through the hard plastic, then through the Flexible rubber. It'd act like a pressure plate and if all if your screws go through the same piece, the pressure across the whole piece of rubber would be the same.. You shouldn't have any ripples then.

In my experience, that garage door rubber is pretty durable. We've had it at several houses, and the weather doesn't ever do anything to it, it looks almost brand new. I would imagine that contact from a road surface would do some damage though.
ImagoX

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:51 am

Yeah, that's actually an idea... Not sure where I get a piece of flat plastic 1" wide but like 5 FEET long, but that would definitely stop the ripple in its tracks - good idea!!

And yeah - the instant it touches the street, it WILL shred I have no doubt, but at least it's a $7 peice of foam and not a $400 CF splitter...
Losing quickly

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:54 am

I'd use green beans.
mx107marlin

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:12 am

ImagoX wrote:
it's a $7 peice of foam and not a $400 CF splitter...

....That would also shred....

You wouldn't have to have a single piece that's 5' long, you could use a combination of pieces, as long as they cover at least 2-3 screws each, maybe use little caps that connect the 2 screws on the end of 2 pieces to make one continuous pressure plate.

I'm sure you can figure something out with it... but it's definitely an idea...
Cooper

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:16 pm

ImagoX wrote:
*Very thin - the material is so deformable that the screws I used to secure it made "ripples" in the material. They're subtle (for now), but I'm totally anal. If they get worse, I'll yank the thing off and try the brick edging in the linked thread.

I applaud your attention to detail, I saw that but glossed over it as something not noticeable to most . If you decide to go with the wider grass edging, could you use a long strip of some kind of material as a 'wedge' between the mounting surface of the edging and the bottom surface of the bumper to provide that nice aggressive outward angle ? Off the top of my head I'm not coming up with any great ideas on what you could use to do that but I'm sure in the vastness of Home Depot there has to be something that would work well . icon_cool.gif
blue one

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:48 pm

not bad, way to use the old noggin biglaugh.gif
ImagoX

Post Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:24 am

Cooper wrote:
ImagoX wrote:

I applaud your attention to detail, I saw that but glossed over it as something not noticeable to most . If you decide to go with the wider grass edging, could you use a long strip of some kind of material as a 'wedge' between the mounting surface of the edging and the bottom surface of the bumper to provide that nice aggressive outward angle ? Off the top of my head I'm not coming up with any great ideas on what you could use to do that but I'm sure in the vastness of Home Depot there has to be something that would work well . icon_cool.gif

Agreed... I think this is the way to go - use a piece of something ELSE as a flattening system. Doing this also has the benefit of 100% stealthing the 2-sided tape used to secure the product 0 you can't tell in the photos (but I can when looking at it) that there are a few VERY small spaces that, if you crouch down near the new "lip", you can see the 2-sided tape winking out at you, mainly in the spaces between the screws/washers. Using something a bit more rigid (possibly cut-down plastic paver edging - I'll have to see what's available as a way to evenly spread the force of the screws seems like a way to not only eliminate the ripples but also to stop these "micro-gaps" between the screws. Will advise when I find something.
The time now is Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:18 am
Page 1 of 1