Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

How to fix HID/Xenon Flickering

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:30 pm

If you have HIDs You've probably noticed that they tend to flicker when first turned on. Your car's electrical system fluctuates. There are many causes that can make it so your ballasts aren't being supplied with enough current. For example when your cranking the car or the stock wiring isn't big enough to supply enough current if the available current or voltage drops too low. The capacitor stores the current when theres lots of supply and discharges when there is low supply. Works just like a car stereo cap.

the solution: $11 per set of Capacitors
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?parentPage=search&summary=summary&cp=&productId=2102508&accessories=accessories&kw=capacitor&techSpecs=techSpecs&currentTab=techSpecs&custRatings=custRatings&sr=1&features=features&origkw=capacitor&support=support&tab=summary

wire the capacitors in parallel with the HID ballast like shown making sure the arrow goes toward the ground wire:

Heres a vid of one capacitor installed (left side) Notice how the right side HID flickers horribly:
Ryan88

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:34 pm

That's pretty bad ass.
kornholio788

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:37 pm

Mine don't flicker like that. Work great and just the small warmup flicker. And I am using stock wiring. Pretty cool though how much it helped yours.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:45 pm

I like how your car plugs in icon_biggrin.gif
Tim

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:45 pm

Looks good man, hopefully it'll save a few years on your ballasts.
02BlueStang

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:10 am

Cool idea....I have mine wired to the battery so no problems with flickering...def a cheap way to fix it if you run them through the stock wiring though
ancona46

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:14 am

i never had a problem like that with the 2 different kits i had maybe ts something with the one you have?
Cooper

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:42 pm

I like the flickering . Its like that first pull of the chord on a chainsaw or the the first cough of your engine on a cold morning .

Except.. you know.. with electricity .
The time now is Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:08 pm
Page 1 of 1