Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Police Scanners

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:30 pm

Does anyone know if it's legal to have and use a police scanner in your car? I was thinking either Potato or PTcruzr would know... Thanks!
super_accord

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:08 pm

From what i have heard cops cant pull u over if they see it in ur car, but if they have another reason to pull u over then they can give u a ticket or w/e for having it/using it. But this could be different for other states.
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:27 pm

it's state dependant... in the NJ/NY/DE/MD i know if you're caught with one you can face imprisonment... it's basically justified as a crooks way to evade the police when in persuit...
cheesy

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:45 pm

What the hell? As far as I know radio (i.e. "police") scanners aren't illegal at all. Why else would Radio Shack sell them? As long as you don't modify any commercially available scanner to pick up illegal frequencies (such as analog cell phones) or pick up and decode encrypted frequencies then it should be perfectly legal. The frequencies most radio scanners pick up are publicly accessible. Hell radio shack even sells a book called Police Call that lists every single frequency registered with the FCC.

Anyway, radio scanners are **** fun. My friends and I used to go cop hunting in our small town when we were bored. One time I loaned my friend my scanner and he just happened to be listening to it when I was pulled over for having my Fusion kit on (which was SUPPOSED to be LEGAL, except for red) and he heard them call my plates in (since they were registered as out of state since I was moving to Seattle two week later...which btw got my out of the ticket because the cop didn't want to deal with me since I was moving so soon). Another time I heard about some people having sex in the back of a pickup truck, a guy running around San Jose with a sawed off shotgun, a girl who ran away from home in her pajamas and jumped in a pool, and most recently...

Here in LA I was watching the news and they had a live high speed police chase (theres a couple every week on the news) so I decided to turn on my radio scanner...sure enough I could hear the police talking and the helicopter dictating the vehicle's actions. It was the **** coolest thing cause you could hear the police talking, then watch it on TV.

These things are incredibly entertaining if you're a geek like me. I highly recommend getting one. I got the RadioShack PRO-79 off ebay for like $100. Also get Police Call.

Edit: disclaimer: just make sure when you're cop hunting to stay out of the way of the police and/or fire/ambulances!
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:47 pm

cheesy wrote:
What the hell? As far as I know radio (i.e. "police") scanners aren't illegal at all. Why else would Radio Shack sell them? As long as you don't modify any commercially available scanner to pick up illegal frequencies (such as analog cell phones) or pick up and decode encrypted frequencies then it should be perfectly legal. The frequencies most radio scanners pick up are publicly accessible. Hell radio shack even sells a book called Police Call that lists every single frequency registered with the FCC.

you can walk around with them... you can have them in your house... you can shove them in various body parts for all the state cares... but you can't drive with them...

i worked at radio shack 6 years thru school
dbismyname

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:48 pm

completely illegal in VA. know for a fact cause my dad went to jail for it. wasnt even hooked up/didnt even work. but it was on his dash. took his ass straight to jail
Aken

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:03 pm

Somehow I think everyone is talking about different things.

Police scanners -- Radios that tune into police frequencies. I have no idea how legal they are in people's cars. I would assume it's fine as long as you don't follow cops around and ****.

Police Radar Detectors -- the "Fuzz busters" in your car used to detect when a police officer is using radar, so you can slow down in time, or some even block the signal. Illegal most places.
super_accord

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:09 pm

I was talking about the scanner, from what i hear they are not supposed to be used in ur car only in the privacy of ur home. Radar detectors cant be used-they cant pull u over if the see them only for another reason, then they can give u a fine for having the detector-same goes for scanners.

Last edited by super_accord on Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:09 pm

Aken wrote:

Police scanners -- Radios that tune into police frequencies. I have no idea how legal they are in people's cars. I would assume it's fine as long as you don't follow cops around and ****.

Police Radar Detectors -- the "Fuzz busters" in your car used to detect when a police officer is using radar, so you can slow down in time, or some even block the signal. Illegal most places.

Police scanner are illegal to drive around with becuase if you were a criminal running from the police, you will know what they are doing as they are doing it...

radar detectors are LEGAL in NJ and DE. they are illegal in MD i believe.
Tim

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:16 pm

We were driving though Canada to New Hamphsire and when we crossed the canadian border...my dad had to take down the radar dector cause it was illegal there. So I know in Canada it's illegal...and I think North Carolina it's illegal too...

Anyone know how much scanners go for?
SuBXeRo

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:34 pm

as far as i know, radar detectors and "fuzzers" to block signals are legal. first of all, if the cops dont get a fix on ur speed with thewir gun legally they cant give u a ticket.many times they will, but u can fight it if u ask the cop and he doesnt have your speed well u can get out of it. Also with cops and their radar, sumtimes they cant get fixes on small low profile cars so tey dont get a reading, so a fuzzer isnt that big to me, hell u can get the steathy looking ones that are like ur license plate frame.

scanners i know are illegal unless u are part of the fire ambulance or police, or municiple gov for the most part. i have even asked my friends who are young and do all the **** we do, and they even say its illegal so its not like i asked a cop. More or less if u have a scanner or detector in your car, HIDE IT before the cop gets to your car
cheesy

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:37 pm

ADDICTED2ICELED wrote:
cheesy wrote:

you can walk around with them... you can have them in your house... you can shove them in various body parts for all the state cares... but you can't drive with them...

You sure about that?

(that link is a few years old and I'm not sure how accurate, but it appears most states allow mobile scanners (i.e. motor vehicle, non-commercial).)

Police Call and my scanner manual say nothing about scanners being illegal in cars. Hell they make mobile scanners specifically for cars.

However, if you use a radio scanner to aid in committing a crime, or interfering with the police, then you'd be breaking Federal law.

And not to insult you personally, but the fact that you worked at Radio Shack for 6 years doesn't necessarily mean ****. Most of the guys at the ones around here are morons. When I first started using LEDs in my car one guy tried to sell me a 10 watt resistor to step down the current for a single LED icon_rolleyes.gif

ADDICTED2ICELED wrote:

Aken wrote:

Police scanner are illegal to drive around with becuase if you were a criminal running from the police, you will know what they are doing as they are doing it...

radar detectors are LEGAL in NJ and DE. they are illegal in MD i believe.

Radar detectors are legal in every state except for Virginia (and Washington D.C. but thats not a state)

Radar and laser jammers on the other hand are a different story. Active jammers are illegal pretty much everywhere while passive jammers are legal in some places (I think)
cheesy

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:44 pm

bah, you're all full of ****
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:44 pm

cheesy wrote:
ADDICTED2ICELED wrote:
cheesy wrote:

You sure about that?

(that link is a few years old and I'm not sure how accurate, but it appears most states allow mobile scanners (i.e. motor vehicle, non-commercial).)

Police Call and my scanner manual say nothing about scanners being illegal in cars. Hell they make mobile scanners specifically for cars.

However, if you use a radio scanner to aid in committing a crime, or interfering with the police, then you'd be breaking Federal law.

And not to insult you personally, but the fact that you worked at Radio Shack for 6 years doesn't necessarily mean ****. Most of the guys at the ones around here are morons. When I first started using LEDs in my car one guy tried to sell me a 10 watt resistor to step down the current for a single LED icon_rolleyes.gif

Aken wrote:

Radar detectors are legal in every state except for Virginia (and Washington D.C. but thats not a state)

Radar and laser jammers on the other hand are a different story. Active jammers are illegal pretty much everywhere while passive jammers are legal in some places (I think)

"March 12, 1998"
kinda old
we recieved local training on it... and my store got slapped with a law suite from some crackhead who commited a crime, and got slapped with a charge for having it, and he claimed we didn't inform him... of course the judge threw it out... but he didn't have money for a good lawyer anyway...

when entering MD the sign reads "please remove your radar detectors, they are illegal in this state" or somthing along those lines...

you can have a scanner... and you can do whatever you want with it... but to have it on while driving is a large crime... i know you can always say that it "wasn't on" but the police aren't gonna wanna hear that... and it's your word against thiers...

it's like the age old debate weather lighting is legal or not...
cheesy

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:47 pm

You're talking like your area's laws are federal laws. I'm saying maybe your specific area has a law against it, but that doesn't mean ****. There are no federal laws against driving with a **** scanner on.

And I doubt the law has changed much since 1998. I'll look for some more current sites though.
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:51 pm

cheesy wrote:
You're talking like your area's laws are federal laws. I'm saying maybe your specific area has a law against it, but that doesn't mean ****. There are no federal laws against driving with a **** scanner on.

And I doubt the law has changed much since 1998. I'll look for some more current sites though.

ADDICTED2ICELED wrote:
it's state dependant... in the NJ/NY/DE/MD i know if you're caught with one you can face imprisonment... it's basically justified as a crooks way to evade the police when in persuit...
cheesy

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:53 pm

Eat your heart out: http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/index.html

Updated October 2003...that current enough for you?

Last edited by cheesy on Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total
dbismyname

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:53 pm

im with cheesy on this one. told you guys it was illegal in VA!! biglaugh.gif
Tim

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:56 pm

why do we always have to argue about every single thing...
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:58 pm

yeah... i can make a web page and put information on it too... a problem of the internet...

but this all leaves interpretation to play...

you install a scanner in your car... the police can always say you had intent to commit a crime if they want to... it's your problem once you're charged... you gotta pay for a lawyer, you gotta defend youself...
cheesy

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:59 pm

dbismyname wrote:
im with cheesy on this one. told you guys it was illegal in VA!! biglaugh.gif

Um, were you talking about a radio scanner or radar detector. It it was the former then you were wrong, unless your dad was committing a felony while in possession of the radio scanner. If you were talking about a radar detector then you're right.
cheesy

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:03 pm

ADDICTED2ICELED wrote:
yeah... i can make a web page and put information on it too... a problem of the internet...

but this all leaves interpretation to play...

you install a scanner in your car... the police can always say you had intent to commit a crime if they want to... it's your problem once you're charged... you gotta pay for a lawyer, you gotta defend youself...

dude, he has the TEXT FROM THE ACTUAL LAWS.

any sane cop and judge isn't going to try to charge you with a misdemeanor for having a police scanner if you weren't committing a serious crime that actually involved using the scanner.

if you were street racing and using the scanner to evade the police, then yes, that is illegal. if you're driving around minding your own business and you get pulled over for a burned out tail light they probably won't give a ****. if you're speeding that's somewhere in between, but yes they probably could, depending on the law. some states say only felonies, some say any crime.
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:05 pm

his disclaimer also states it could be out of date... even after one day... and also county town laws are separate from the state laws and can differ...

why don't you just check with you local police...
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:07 pm

Quote:
if you were street racing and using the scanner to evade the police, then yes, that is illegal. if you're driving around minding your own business and you get pulled over for a burned out tail light they probably won't give a ****. if you're speeding that's somewhere in between, but yes they probably could, depending on the law. some states say only felonies, some say any crime.

that's an expensive probably.

definitely not worth it to me...

and don't tell me you don't speed... becuase that puts you at a pretty high risk.
cheesy

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:15 pm

god damn do you have to nit pick every **** detail. my point is that they're not illegal to have in cars in most states, unless since october every state has passed a law saying they were. if you're so concerned about it being out of date then why don't you look it up, i'm not going to waste any more of my time trying to explain this to you.

there's no reason this guy would be lying to us, it's obviously one of his hobbies. the disclaimer is probably so people don't come complaining to him when they get a ticket or are arrested.

for the record, comparing the two sites I linked to, most of the information matches. laws like this don't change very often.

ADDICTED2ICELED wrote:
Quote:

that's an expensive probably.

definitely not worth it to me...

and don't tell me you don't speed... becuase that puts you at a pretty high risk.

I never said I didn't speed. I also never said I used my police scanner to avoid police while speeding. This has nothing to do with my point anyway.
potato pusher

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:23 pm

I have a scanner, very nice model. I keep it in my car all the time, well, always on my person. If i get pulled over I just turn it off, but I've only been pulled over one time. I also use mine for the fire department though so my handheld can stay on our frequency while the scanner scans the P.D. and our mutual aid channels. I know some states they are illegal to have in your vehicle b/c you can evade the police. Just check your state laws and city ordinances and you shouldn't have a problem.
SuBXeRo

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:24 pm

ok heres a thought, if u get pulled over hide the damn scanner under you seat LOL. if its small enough of course. the way i look at it is as others do, they prob wont make a big deal. BUT heres another age old thing, it depends on the cop and if he feels like being a ****. a with most things if u have sumthing u dont want a cop to see in ur car u either hide it or not have it in ur car or suffer the consequences
potato pusher

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:31 pm

NO MORE ----> argue.gif or I'LL have to ----> cussing.gif at you and then you'll look like -----> alien.gif and i'll have to tell you to quit acting like a bunch of -------> Eyecrazy.gif
potato pusher

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:33 pm

NEVER HIDE ANYTHING UNDER THE SEATS!!!!! that is the number one way to get your car searched (except saying "hey, i got drugs in here"). I just clip mine to the visor and leave it on. If and when you get pulled over, while you are turning on the interior lights, flip it off. Don't make it obvious. I have some tips on what to do and how to act that REALLY work if any of you are interested. (from officer standpoint)
cheesy

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:35 pm

i had my scanner mounted to my visor in plain view for months. hell i think it was mounted up there when i got pulled over for neons and the cop didn't say anything about it.
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:39 am

i'm only nit picking becuase bobby lee asked what we know about the laws and i know the laws are open to interpretation. i'm just playing devil's advocate and pointing out the inherent risks. you are pointing out the laws, but I think the interpretation of the laws vary soo much that you could still get in trouble for it.

hiding under the seats is bad... the human resources directors son where i work had a problem with a stupid "weapon"

he was driving home from school for the holidays, and he had his mom's truck. the officer asked him if he had a weapon, and he said "no, just clothes and my computer" the officer proceded to search and found an old sandbag (used to be used as a self-defense weapon) under the rear bench seat. turns out later his mom remembered she had it there when she first bought the truck in 1986, and just plain forgot about it. 3 years later he still has to see his perol officer and still has to pay fines...

I NEVER turn off my iceled, and when i get pulled over, i have a lawyer i employ anyway that i can just use to basically call him up and get the ticket revoked. the technicalities and loopholes of the law are inconsistant and strange... but not everyone has a lawyer, and not everyone can afford to fight it in court... so like anything... it's your risk in life...

if you are fire/ems/police... then you have justification to have the scanner, and nothing can be done.

and cheesy, when i said "you" it was a general "you" (more targeted to bobby lee) and not a you you...

icon_lol.gif
Sublime0069

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:18 am

I figure I did the research too on legality of scanners in NJ, and I was satisfied enough. "Legal unless in furtherance of a crime." Cops around here aren't really concerned with you unless you're doing something significantly bad. I keep it in the armrest of my car and when there's nothing on the radio, I plug it into my headunit and listen to all the local towns while I drive. Always something interesting.
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:10 am

if you're in hamilton, camden, pennsauken, sommerdale, cherry hill, wash township, they almost always WILL charge you for it if you are pulled over for speeding. but it really depends on the officer, and the local court. the officer won't do it if they know their court won't support their charge, but if they do, then it's another few points on their tally sheet... so use at your own risk.
corvettecrazy

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:52 pm

I just asked my friend, who is currently studiing public safty and works with cops and Ff and all that other stuff) if driving with a police scanner ON is legal ( this is in PA of course) and she its legal and you are allowed to use them.
Bobby Lee

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:02 pm

alright, alright... i just asked a simple question and it some how blew up into a full fledged argument. anyway, here in ohio its legal to have radar detectors, this i already know. i'm not sure about police scanners, but whether they are legal or not, probably the best place to have it/mount it would be in my glove box... correct?
ProjectRAGE

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:52 pm

indiana scanners are illlegal..radar detectores arent and those uhh damnit i cant think of the same, radar things, that the cops use i had one of thsoe amd omg!! i didnt know my friends dad stole it from the conty cops back in the day, i know those r no no's but i kow alotta ppl with scanners in there cars round here, lol i dont know what the cop would do tho..i personally dont see the big deal, i just like them for fun, listen to whats goin on, they come in handy if someones a drug dealer...get the dl on cops, well i dont know for real but maybe..drugs are bad btw kids!! biglaugh.gif
mwc1

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:05 pm

i think any police scanner or radar detector is illegal unless of course you are a cop! but if i were you i would just buy one of the real expensive ones that blocks that police scanners and the police mph readout's so they will never know how fast you are going! they are real expensive tho
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:42 pm

that'd be a jammer... highly illegal... federal crime... fcc no no
TechSys

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:01 pm

Scanners are illegal in vehicles throughout the US, I believe. People that work in the emergency or law enforcement are allowed to have a working scanner in thier vehicles at anytime. Ham radio operators fall into the catagory of emergency, since they deal alot with evacuations and such.

Radar detectors are slowly becoming illegal in all states. In Florida, if one is seen in a car, they can pull you over for it.. decent sized fine. the way around that is to custom install one into the cluster or dahs of the vehicle, to where it looks like it is part of the vehicle and not some afterthought.
cheesy

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:36 pm

enviousmonte wrote:
i think any police scanner or radar detector is illegal unless of course you are a cop! but if i were you i would just buy one of the real expensive ones that blocks that police scanners and the police mph readout's so they will never know how fast you are going! they are real expensive tho

did you even read this thread?
cheesy

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:35 pm

TechSys wrote:
Scanners are illegal in vehicles throughout the US, I believe. People that work in the emergency or law enforcement are allowed to have a working scanner in thier vehicles at anytime. Ham radio operators fall into the catagory of emergency, since they deal alot with evacuations and such.

Radar detectors are slowly becoming illegal in all states. In Florida, if one is seen in a car, they can pull you over for it.. decent sized fine. the way around that is to custom install one into the cluster or dahs of the vehicle, to where it looks like it is part of the vehicle and not some afterthought.

Did YOU read this thread?
Bobby Lee

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:43 pm

damn, sorry i even asked...
mwc1

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:36 pm

cheesy - is that ur civic.....i'll show u a real civic once i get my pics loaded on to oznium!

urs is pretty tight for just having the lights and all tho
cheesy

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:18 pm

enviousmonte wrote:
cheesy - is that ur civic.....i'll show u a real civic once i get my pics loaded on to oznium!

urs is pretty tight for just having the lights and all tho

yes...it's my "fake" civic... icon_rolleyes.gif
mwc1

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:30 pm

what do u mean by your FAKE civic...so you dont really have that civic.
cheesy

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:20 pm

enviousmonte wrote:
what do u mean by your FAKE civic...so you dont really have that civic.

no...you said you would show me a "real" civic, implying that mine was not real, thus fake

biglaugh.gif
potato pusher

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:20 pm

um, just to talk about jammers a bit more, i think only active jammers are illegal, i think passive are still legal in like 40 states or so. passive sucks though, there is no point, best bet would be to mount a trunk mounted active jammer with the cell-look-alike antennae on the rear window icon_twisted.gif
Bobby Lee

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:45 pm

potato pusher wrote:
um, just to talk about jammers a bit more, i think only active jammers are illegal, i think passive are still legal in like 40 states or so. passive sucks though, there is no point, best bet would be to mount a trunk mounted active jammer with the cell-look-alike antennae on the rear window icon_twisted.gif

how exactly do passive jammers work?
The time now is Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:04 pm
Page 1 of 1