Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Gas saving tips!

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue May 06, 2008 11:13 am

Recieved this in an email at work and wanted to share....

Tips on pumping gas.

I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.. but here in California we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon.***now close to 4 actually here in SoCal*** But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon.. Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a to tal capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline exp ands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3)stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapo rs that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some other liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom. Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.
robbie

Post Tue May 06, 2008 11:21 am

^^ Damn man thanks. I knew the whole fill up early in the morning thing but the others are good help. Apprecaite it.
jol102001

Post Tue May 06, 2008 11:26 am

good tips, i'm not sure how much gas this will save you

But a good tip going around here is that for every 5mph over 60 your losing about 20 cents per gallon, so there is a good reason not to speed.
PwrRngr

Post Tue May 06, 2008 11:34 am

Here's a tip that will save you more than all the tips above. Don't accelerate fast and also, drive slow. I understand that those tips given may save you a couple cents per fill up but changing your driving habits can save you a couple bucks per fill up.
josh9015

Post Tue May 06, 2008 11:48 am

drive a bicycle around town. Best tip evar
A-Ray

Post Tue May 06, 2008 12:25 pm

josh9015 wrote:
drive a bicycle around town. Best tip evar

I agree, best tip ever.
TheBrick

Post Tue May 06, 2008 12:37 pm

I just over charge gas money when ppl wanna go somewhere.

Fill up and still make cash...Best way imo icon_lol.gif
kornholio788

Post Tue May 06, 2008 12:48 pm

This was on a couple other forums I am on. He said the temperature thing won't effect you. The gas is far enough in the ground in most cases to have no effect. Not sure if this is true or not. Just what I read.
Stompy

Post Tue May 06, 2008 1:56 pm

I just fill up 20 bucks a week. If i run out of gas mid week, then i dont drive. Bike to work, school or whatever. Only way to save gas for me -.- otherwise all my money goes for gas
markwerline

Post Tue May 06, 2008 2:09 pm

PwrRngr wrote:
Here's a tip that will save you more than all the tips above. Don't accelerate fast and also, drive slow. I understand that those tips given may save you a couple cents per fill up but changing your driving habits can save you a couple bucks per fill up.

Thats actually the only gas saving thing I have been doing, cruise instead of punching it everywhere. well cept for on the highway... i can't do slow on the highway.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Tue May 06, 2008 2:16 pm

At depths below six feet, ground temperature stays a constant 50 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit year-round.
Trans_Am_13

Post Tue May 06, 2008 2:45 pm

I haven't paid actual cash money for gas in about 9 months icon_wink.gif
Cyber Knight

Post Tue May 06, 2008 3:13 pm

A 'No fat chicks' decal on your car will greatly improve fuel economy, but may result in external damage and is therefor recommended for beaters only.
Toastr

Post Tue May 06, 2008 3:58 pm

Jeep's gotten hella expense to drive around now... It's turned into a cruise-day/bad weather/recreational vehicle now. Gotta toodle 'round town in the wife's Focus. Funny thing is that because I'm so used to *****-footing around in my Jp and trying to get every last inch from every ounce of fuel, that I get better mileage in the Focus than she does biglaugh.gif

Before I put my bigger tires on (no gears yet), I was getting damn good mileage in the Jp, being what it was. 300 round town, 380 on the freeway... 18 gallon tank. Full tune-up, intake, TB spacer, full exhaust... all of them tied together to free up some power and make things more efficient. If you're not using that extra power all the time, they do tend to increase efficiency.

Moral - use the efficiency excuse to justify that new supercharger, exhaust, or intake icon_smile.gif
djtecthreat

Post Tue May 06, 2008 5:03 pm

jol102001 wrote:

But a good tip going around here is that for every 5mph over 60 your losing about 20 cents per gallon, so there is a good reason not to speed.

Not true, my truck does better on gas @ 75MPH than at 55 and 60. I have ran a MPG meter from the obdII port to prove it.
Toastr

Post Tue May 06, 2008 6:36 pm

^^ I've noticed this as well... especially in the Focus. Seems to do better up around 75-80. Dunno how or why, but it'd be interesting to find out.
KrzysD

Post Tue May 06, 2008 6:56 pm

exactly like cyber knight said, lightening the weight of your car, thats one of the best things i think you can do, went from 200 miles a tank to 250 miles. same driving conditions,and driving style, from work and back. when i cleaned out all the junk from my car, could get more if i took out the system. but thats a no no icon_smile.gif

aerodynamics plays a role too, after covering those big holes i had in my bumper from no fogs and after i noticed slightly better fuel mileage.
itzbjorn

Post Tue May 06, 2008 7:07 pm

You're all wrong. Want to know the best way to save gas money?

User posted image

Buy a motorcycle.
PwrRngr

Post Tue May 06, 2008 10:30 pm

itzbjorn wrote:
User posted image
Buy a motorcycle.

You lose. If you're going to buy something might as well make it the Tessila Roadster.

Tessila > Motorcycle
Toastr

Post Tue May 06, 2008 10:35 pm

**** that, base model starts at $98k. I'll take a 9800 bike over that anyday.

Bike < Tesla
PwrRngr

Post Tue May 06, 2008 10:46 pm

Toastr wrote:
**** that, base model starts at $98k. I'll take a 9800 bike over that anyday.

Bike < Tesla

HAHAHA, you might want to switch the direction of the little "less than" sign in the middle.

I also wasn't talking about cost, I was talking about gas mileage. But lets talk cost. I currently have a vehicle that gets 30mpg and I can drive it any time of the year (rain, snow, etc). A bike would get better gas mileage, say 45mpg. But I would have to buy one at a cost of around $4000. Driving 12,000 miles a year at a gas cost of $5/gallon, I would have to drive the bike for 6 years before my gas savings equaled the price I would spend on the bike. This is also assuming the bike is driven year round in the snow, rain, and any other bad weather. Do this comparison with the Tesla and it's even worse. Final conclusion, buying a new vehicle for the sole purpose of saving gas isn't too smart unless your vehicle gets around 10mpg or you're already looking for a new vehicle for other reasons.
Toastr

Post Tue May 06, 2008 11:21 pm

Ooooooookay.

"You lose. If you're going to buy something might as well make it the Tessila Roadster. "

Perhaps that misled me. Although I do agree that buying a new vehicle to save gas makes no sense, unless it reduces your payment at the same time. Jeep gets 10.7mpg pretty much across the board, and I'm perfectly happy with it still, even with it taking premium. Wife's got the fuel-saver icon_smile.gif
Ryan88

Post Wed May 07, 2008 12:16 am

Man I looked up the Tesla. That's freaking impressive for an electric car! 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. That's amazing. It does only .2 seconds slower than a 911 turbo in the 0-60.
lunasea

Post Wed May 07, 2008 1:17 am

djtecthreat wrote:
jol102001 wrote:

Not true, my truck does better on gas @ 75MPH than at 55 and 60. I have ran a MPG meter from the obdII port to prove it.

Im guessing your pickup truck or whatever it is your driving doesn't change up until your above 60.. sumthing or the over drive doesn't engage above.. whatever

but you would be saving alot doing 50-55 if you can bare to.

In the uk its over �5 = $10+
Ways to save Petrol/Gasoline.
relaxed acceleration and deceleration i say drive like an old man but Its mostly just good driving habbits of forward thinking... like how long before those traffic lights change whats the lowest average speed i could get away with before they change to green... stuff like that.
If everyones up each others bumpers/fenders just cruise up slowly lightly braking maybe its easy stuff.

also turn off all an any un-nessasarry electrics stereo lights the works.
if you have a manual transmission when your up to about 30mph you can probibly get away with 5th gear i know i do i allways short shift. i get about 600km per tank of my kia rio an thats all of about 35 litres. doing about 65mph
you can save a huge ammount of energy that would be lost in drag by slowing down just 10mph like doing that could easily save you 10mpg which realy adds up and the time your losing getting to your destination is minimal.

A final thought.

I think it takes more balls to stick to a speed at or below the speed limit than to follow everyone one else in burning up there fule and making those trips to the gas station a regulare occourance.

Also all you motor bike fans on my last trip to the stats i was driving my dads ford ranger towing a 2000lbs trailer with a classic car on the back just crusing at 50-55mph and the same motor bike passed me 3 times over a 50 mille distance and i never stoped. but im guessing long trips on a bike make your bum go numb or sumting.

Ohh and final tip get a 4cylinder car or 3 cylinder car if you like you save loads compared to a v8 or v6
if you can afford it and like having fun get one of these babys http://www.dragtimes.com/images/11613-2006-Ariel-Atom.jpg
its 100% street legal you dont even need to wear a helmet to drive it ether.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cuYyOF_bwS8
you might be able to check out "Top Gear" a british car show on the bbc they did a good test of it.
GoldenRod

Post Wed May 07, 2008 4:11 am

These tips are either incorrect, or you'll save so little fuel that you'll probably waste more just trying to use the tips....

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp

The follow-up suggestions are good, though. Less weight is always a good idea, as well as more gradual acceleration, etc.
TRogers

Post Wed May 07, 2008 5:32 am

Or stop worrying about gas and ENJOY DRIVING. I don't even look at prices, I never really have. And I'll always need gas no matter what the cost, especially living in the sticks. I pull up and pump the best **** they have and be on my way. biglaugh.gif

Last edited by TRogers on Wed May 07, 2008 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total
markwerline

Post Wed May 07, 2008 5:43 am

TRogers wrote:
Or stop worrying about gas and ENJOY DRIVING. I don't even look at prices, I never really have. And I'll always need gas no matter what the cost, especially living in the sticks. I pull up and pump the best **** they have and be on my way. biglaugh.gif

good point.
A-Ray

Post Wed May 07, 2008 6:52 am

TRogers wrote:

I do this too, but it also helps that I get paid mileage to and fro work, so that more than covers for my gas and few minor repairs.
kornholio788

Post Wed May 07, 2008 6:57 am

TRogers wrote:

This man speaks the truth. I feel the same way. I drive pretty heave footed. I have a good time driving around. I don't let gas prices stop me. I got a simple weekend second job. Easily pays for that. And then I can actually enjoy myself and driving.
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Wed May 07, 2008 7:44 am

well i need theses i am broke and the v-8 eats gas
djtecthreat

Post Wed May 07, 2008 1:49 pm

lunasea wrote:
djtecthreat wrote:

Im guessing your pickup truck or whatever it is your driving doesn't change up until your above 60.. sumthing or the over drive doesn't engage above.. whatever

You're wrong, but ok.

OD engages at about 45MPH in my truck, the truck does better @ 75MPH then at 50, 55, 60, or 65. Like I said.

Why? Because the transmission isn't constantly hunting between 3rd and OD. It has enough momentum to sustain wind-gusts, or slight inclines to stay in OD.

It's a 3-speed with overdrive automatic in an SUV, btw.
banned from SG

Post Wed May 07, 2008 6:26 pm

I'll just continue to not ***** about gas prices and drive however I want
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Wed May 07, 2008 6:31 pm

Phil wrote:
At depths below six feet, ground temperature stays a constant 50 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit year-round.

lol
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Wed May 07, 2008 6:31 pm

banned from SG wrote:

x2
djtecthreat

Post Wed May 07, 2008 7:51 pm

banned from SG wrote:

Yeah, I haven't ***** once, and I get pretty bad gas mileage as everyone keeps telling me, I think its excellent gas mileage for a truck that can haul 8 people, and 10,000lbs comfortably.
lunasea

Post Wed May 07, 2008 8:07 pm

djtecthreat wrote:
lunasea wrote:
djtecthreat wrote:

You're wrong, but ok.

OD engages at about 45MPH in my truck, the truck does better @ 75MPH then at 50, 55, 60, or 65. Like I said.

Why? Because the transmission isn't constantly hunting between 3rd and OD. It has enough momentum to sustain wind-gusts, or slight inclines to stay in OD.

your wrong.
lower speeds, means less wind resistance, meaning engine works less, meaning lower engine revs... You want me to draw you a picture!

also using "The best ****" at the gas pumps Doesn't mean its the best for your engine. it should tell you in the manual for your car but i read in the manual for my mitsubishi that any petrol*gas* thats more than 10% ethanol has a detrimental affect on engine life.
Ethanol is just alcohol and methanol which makes Ethanol. They only add methanol to it so people don't drink it.
some times added to 87octane fule just to bump it up to 91 octane.
jol102001

Post Wed May 07, 2008 8:08 pm

itzbjorn wrote:

Buy a motorcycle.

I tried to justify this buy, but even if I bought a bike for 3 G's I wouldn't be able to drive it everyday b/c of weather and I wouldn't save that much for years.
clutch1

Post Wed May 07, 2008 8:15 pm

All I know is I'm glad I didn't get a Caprice like I wanted.. my big v6 Park Ave is bad enough. Oh well, the tips I get from delivering pizzas pay for my gas x2 usually.

I tried some stuff I read from a hypermiling article one time.. but it just gave me an ulcer and took the fun out of driving. I try to drive modestly, but don't coast from 55 down to 0 just to save a few cents.

Plus having subs and a full air ride setup in the trunk can't be very good for mileage, either, lol.
djtecthreat

Post Wed May 07, 2008 8:20 pm

lunasea wrote:
djtecthreat wrote:
lunasea wrote:
djtecthreat wrote:

You're wrong, but ok.

your wrong.
lower speeds, means less wind resistance, meaning engine works less, meaning lower engine revs... You want me to draw you a picture!

No. Like I said before, lower engine speeds come from holding OD (Overdrive) which isn't possible at speed less than 70 in my truck, it hunts between 3rd and Overdrive (that means switches back and forth) which makes it inefficient.

Do you want me to draw YOU a picture?

My truck is a big square, its not aerodynamic even when its sitting still so wind resistance is always bad.

We plugged my bluetooth OBDII adapter into it and on my 500 mile trip to maine recently I drove the truck at different speeds for 10 or more miles (sustained) and monitored fuel consumption on my laptop. It was LESS (note, that less means not as much) when I set the cruise @ 75mph.
Toastr

Post Wed May 07, 2008 10:37 pm

Seriously, it makes no sense, lol... But I'm right there with ya DJ - Jp gets much better mpg at 75 than it does at some piddly 55. So does the Focus, but that's gotta be up around 80. Still gets better mpg than down in the fifties.
Fo_SheeZy

Post Thu May 08, 2008 12:18 am

Interesting tips! Thanks for the info.
lunasea

Post Mon May 12, 2008 10:58 pm

djtecthreat wrote:
lunasea wrote:
djtecthreat wrote:
lunasea wrote:
djtecthreat wrote:

You're wrong, but ok.

your wrong.

No. Like I said before, lower engine speeds come from holding OD (Overdrive) which isn't possible at speed less than 70 in my truck, it hunts between 3rd and Overdrive (that means switches back and forth) which makes it inefficient.

Do you want me to draw YOU a picture?

My truck is a big square, its not aerodynamic even when its sitting still so wind resistance is always bad.

We plugged my bluetooth OBDII adapter into it and on my 500 mile trip to maine recently I drove the truck at different speeds for 10 or more miles (sustained) and monitored fuel consumption on my laptop. It was LESS (note, that less means not as much) when I set the cruise @ 75mph.

I was going by what you said that the OD engages at 45mph so there fore if you could keep a speed of 55mph you would be saving gas.

judging by the 3 speed ford ranger i have which also has overdrive i can cruise at 50 doing around 2000rpm or cruise at 70mph doing well over 3200 rpm its a V6

from my calculations even if you traveled 100 miles doing each to make a comparison you would use more fule at 70mph cause of the engine revs and thats not to mention the higher forces it has to cope with as wind resistance.

at 50mph doing 100miles it would take 2 hours.
at 70mph doing 100 miles it would take 1.43mins <I rounded it up
50 mile an hour doing 2000 revs for 2 hours 240,000
70 mile an hour doing 3200 revs for 1.43mins 274,560

maybe your truck is different Im sure.

Also on your Test were you drafting other vehicles because that greatly decreases drag being in some ones slip stream.
lunasea

Post Mon May 12, 2008 11:00 pm

ooh and also as others have mentioned the liquid in the underground tanks stays at 15degrees C and the pumps are calibrated for it so chances of getting more gas than you pay for is minimal.
djtecthreat

Post Tue May 13, 2008 12:41 am

lunasea wrote:

I was going by what you said that the OD engages at 45mph so there fore if you could keep a speed of 55mph you would be saving gas.

judging by the 3 speed ford ranger i have which also has overdrive i can cruise at 50 doing around 2000rpm or cruise at 70mph doing well over 3200 rpm its a V6

from my calculations even if you traveled 100 miles doing each to make a comparison you would use more fule at 70mph cause of the engine revs and thats not to mention the higher forces it has to cope with as wind resistance.

at 50mph doing 100miles it would take 2 hours.
at 70mph doing 100 miles it would take 1.43mins <I rounded it up
50 mile an hour doing 2000 revs for 2 hours 240,000
70 mile an hour doing 3200 revs for 1.43mins 274,560

maybe your truck is different Im sure.

Also on your Test were you drafting other vehicles because that greatly decreases drag being in some ones slip stream.

Like i've said like 5 times, my truck doesn't hold OD @ 55mph.

ONCE AGAIN TO REITERATE: My Truck doesn't hold OD @ 55mph. It hunts (switches, for those who don't understand the concept of a transmission hunting gears) between the 2 as wind resistance and inclines come into play.

I was not drafting any vehicles, or dealing with any great upward or downward slopes, it was about 3am, no other cars, and about 3/4 tank of fuel.

75mph for me is about 1,500RPM, if that. My truck has a very low engine speed @ cruise levels.

This is a V8.

My truck also does better on gas while towing over 65mph. I drove for about 200 miles @ 35-45mph (depending on the old people that got in the way on the back roads going 25mph in a 50mph, cant pass with a loaded trailer for safety reasons). and it was probably the worst gas mileage I'd ever gotten towing like this. Return trip we took the highway and i hit the cruise @ 70mph and it doubled (at least) the gas mileage. I was towing 6000lbs in a tandem axle box trailer, a little taller than my truck.
blktbon20s

Post Tue May 13, 2008 6:09 am

lunasea wrote:
djtecthreat wrote:
lunasea wrote:
djtecthreat wrote:

You're wrong, but ok.

your wrong.

also using "The best ****" at the gas pumps Doesn't mean its the best for your engine. it should tell you in the manual for your car but i read in the manual for my mitsubishi that any petrol*gas* thats more than 10% ethanol has a detrimental affect on engine life.
Ethanol is just alcohol and methanol which makes Ethanol. They only add methanol to it so people don't drink it.
some times added to 87octane fule just to bump it up to 91 octane.

Is it really that important who is right or who is wrong....
Come on kids just drop it..

Back on topic- i have changed my driving style drastically. The way i was driving i was wasting about $25-30 a day. I'm a FT student and work 2 PT jobs so money is tight.
Now i put $20 a day. It hurts my wallet like hell but i do drive alot. In 7 months of having my truck, i've put 19k miles icon_eek.gif
BogusBoyZ

Post Tue May 13, 2008 9:34 am

itzbjorn wrote:

User posted image

Buy a motorcycle.

id have to agree
codyo32689

Post Tue May 13, 2008 9:14 pm

^^^ love that bike
BogusBoyZ

Post Wed May 14, 2008 7:40 am

its the only bike ill ride.. i have 3 gsxrs
TRogers

Post Wed May 14, 2008 7:54 am

Wanna give me one? icon_smile.gif
cardude007617

Post Wed May 14, 2008 7:56 am

so is it actually true then that breathing mods DO help mileage and not just hurt it more?
kornholio788

Post Wed May 14, 2008 8:20 am

I could see it actually helping mileage. Don't know if that is true though. Would just make sense that it would.
djtecthreat

Post Wed May 14, 2008 7:43 pm

cardude007617 wrote:
so is it actually true then that breathing mods DO help mileage and not just hurt it more?

I never understood the concept that more air = better gas mileage.

Anytime you add more air, you're engine sucks more fuel. (Hence how a carburetor or throttle body works).

I haven't discussed this with anyone who had a really good answer other than some made up BS. I could be wrong, but I've never seen it improve with after market intakes, turbos, superchargers, etc.. etc..
BogusBoyZ

Post Wed May 14, 2008 7:49 pm

TRogers wrote:

if you wanna give me sum $$$ lol
robbie

Post Wed May 14, 2008 7:52 pm

The only reason i could ever see an intake helping in any way is that the air would be able to help the fuel burn more efficiently and more complete. Thus using all the gasd to maximum potential. Don't flame or bash as i see this as speculation. And it's only an itake that would help. A turbo or SC would in NO way help rather it would hinder this aspect.
Losing quickly

Post Wed May 14, 2008 8:05 pm

My exhaust helped....I'm thinking my Intake and header might have hurt my gas milage though...
PwrRngr

Post Wed May 14, 2008 8:34 pm

Causing extra air into the engine couldn't really help in gas mileage. It could be true that the extra air will allow the fuel to burn better like Robbie said. Also, the extra air is going to take more gas in as well. This is why there's a power increase w/ a better intake, more air/fuel mixture = more power (same thing w/ a supercharger or turbo).

Adding headers/exhaust will most likely help (very little) in the mileage due to reducing the restriction on the exhaust. If the engine doesn't have to work as hard to exhaust the gas then that takes off on the engine load = better mpg.
cardude007617

Post Wed May 14, 2008 8:57 pm

maybe engine load is the key here... it'll be easier for it to both take in air and also send it out...
PwrRngr

Post Wed May 14, 2008 9:14 pm

cardude007617 wrote:
maybe engine load is the key here... it'll be easier for it to both take in air and also send it out...

Right, but taking in more air also means taking in more gas. This will reduce the mpg of the vehicle. As a rule of thumb, power and gas mileage are inversely related.
markwerline

Post Thu May 15, 2008 12:17 am

its the fact that the colder air is denser carrying more oxygen so better combustion to fuel ratio and headers and exhaust decreas back pressure allowing better use of gas as well. These items do help yes.
TRogers

Post Thu May 15, 2008 5:35 am

BogusBoyZ wrote:
TRogers wrote:

if you wanna give me sum $$$ lol

I was hoping a hug and a smile (maaaybe some lunch) would be enough? icon_smile.gif biglaugh.gif
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:26 am
Page 1 of 1