Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

how to clean car before a car show

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed May 07, 2008 10:14 am

well as some of you know i am taking the caprice out to Iowa next month for a big police car show. this is my second car show so i am a little unsure on how to clean the car before i leave(clean the car at home and then drive to the show two days away.)

this is what i did last year

1.) washed the car twice by hand
2.) waxed th hole car
3.) used the mothers power ball with cleaner on wheels

and that was pretty much it then i just wiped the whole car down once i got to the show.
kornholio788

Post Wed May 07, 2008 10:24 am

Before the show I clean her up really good at home. Wash twice, 2 buckets, maby a little polishing if it needs it. Wax it up really good, clean the wheels bla bla bla. When I get to the show if there are bugs I use Wizards bug release. THen I spray and whipe the whole car down with wizards mist and shine. ANd I polish teh wheels again at the show. And whipe down the interior again at teh show. ANd i have a californa duster to dust teh car off every hour or so while at the show. Works for me.
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Wed May 07, 2008 10:28 am

thanks i have a California duster in my car, so you think the wizard's stuff is butter then the stuff from oz
Losing quickly

Post Wed May 07, 2008 10:29 am

Spit, wipe, repeat.
kornholio788

Post Wed May 07, 2008 10:38 am

ChevyCaprice9C1 wrote:
thanks i have a California duster in my car, so you think the wizard's stuff is butter then the stuff from oz

Never used the stuff from oz. I just switched over to wizards last year after I started working here. The mist and shine is awsome stuff. Easily the best I have used or heard of. Never had ANY complaints about it(cept pork but he will complain about anything biglaugh.gif ) The whole wizards line is great stuff. I have crossed over MANY people from meguiers and 3m over to wizards. From your garage detailers to a crazy good local air brusher to the guy who does all the secrete painting for harley. Wizards = win.
drdan03

Post Wed May 07, 2008 3:16 pm

well what i do and i detail for a living a simple one that looks nice is meguiars has a liquid kit witch is cleaner wax do the car in that wipe down then use the polish they have i use it 1 or 2 times depends what paint looks like what color darker color u want it to sit on the paint for awhile do kinda soak in and let the paint obsoarb oils etc as long as its not in hot weather or direct sunlight if so dont let sit long on paint or its hard to get off sometimes then i like to use ozniums glaze it purlpe in color smells kinda like grapes it wonderfull and really will make the paint shiny and glossy let it sit for awhile to if ur not in the sun or its the evening sometimes more then one coat makes it better it seems depends on color of car to then to finish it all off i use the meguirs carnuba wax to seal it after ur done i have a 01 durnago its light gold and silver and after im done its looks like a mirror literally i always have people askin me what i use if its a dark color its will make it look like a black mirror its crazy but try and use up and down movents on side panels and front to back on hood etc to get the reflectivity also the wizards quick detailer is the best ever for cleaning and polshing at shows wipe on wipe off windows chrome paint everthing i dont know about there other products cant find them anywhere but if there as good as the quick spray detailer then theyd have me as a customer lol
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Wed May 07, 2008 6:26 pm

o.k thanks where can i find the Wizard stuff at
jdusty914

Post Wed May 07, 2008 6:44 pm

Also some of my friends have gone to the extreme to get some clear plastic wrap and blue painters tape and pretty much tape up or wrap the whole front end of their car so that they would not get any bugs while driving to the show.....Might try that....
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Wed May 07, 2008 6:49 pm

jdusty914 wrote:
Also some of my friends have gone to the extreme to get some clear plastic wrap and blue painters tape and pretty much tape up or wrap the whole front end of their car so that they would not get any bugs while driving to the show.....Might try that....

well i am not going that far because i have to dive the car for 2 days to get to the show and then for 2 more days once i get there
bad venge

Post Wed May 07, 2008 6:55 pm

1) Park car straighten wheels, pop open hood and trunk, remove"dirty" floor mats ( 2 sets)
2) Clean the wheels, I use the quick wipes, followed by detailer/wax, Tire shine
3)Wipe down nose of car to remove bugs ect quick wipes then detailer, Then wipe top of car down to beltline with the quick detailer, below the beltline might require more cleaning
4)Clean outside windows
5)wipedown interior with protectant
6) Clean interior windows
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Wed May 07, 2008 6:59 pm

bad venge wrote:
1) Park car straighten wheels, pop open hood and trunk, remove"dirty" floor mats ( 2 sets)
2) Clean the wheels, I use the quick wipes, followed by detailer/wax, Tire shine
3)Wipe down nose of car to remove bugs ect quick wipes then detailer, Then wipe top of car down to beltline with the quick detailer, below the beltline might require more cleaning
4)Clean outside windows
5)wipedown interior with protectant
6) Clean interior windows

o.k thanks what products do you suggest i use
Knox

Post Thu May 08, 2008 8:42 am

I get it detailed the day before the show and then just wipe any bugs or bird crap off with a wet towel when I get there.

I see some people spend like an hour cleaning there cars at the show, but I think they should be judging by the amount of custom work not by how clean the car is.
bad venge

Post Thu May 08, 2008 9:29 am

I use the Quick wipes for wheels/tires they are premoistened and disposible...
They also make the quick wipes in bug/tar remover
I use Meguiars NXT Quick Detailer as I won several cases last year at a show .. .
robbie

Post Thu May 08, 2008 9:34 am

I have all meguiars got it for 20 bucks at walmart.

Wash with Rain X with the caranuba wax beads. Then i scratch x sometimes brings the black out better. I use the mothers california clay bar kit. The wax with the meguiars tech 2.0 and use an electric buffer to apply then a different pad to take it off. when i get there i get out the hot shine gel and hit the tires, no wheels so i clean them and use wheel wax on them before leaving. Then Meguairs quick detailer and some bug remover when i get there. Quick interior spray down put the spring in the hood and BOOM.
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Thu May 08, 2008 5:29 pm

o.k thanks i am going to get some Meguiars stuff and i don't have an electric buffer.
robbie

Post Thu May 08, 2008 6:33 pm

GET ONE. You will love it. Every pnce in a while now ill do it by hand. But i typically do it with that. And get a claybar. Best thing i have ever used and since i got my black car wont ever not use it.
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Fri May 09, 2008 7:39 am

where can i get this stuff local (advance auto, auto zone, ect)
robbie

Post Fri May 09, 2008 8:06 am

Can you get anywhere from walmart, target, all th local autoparts stores. Some stuff that has been posted here i ordered and will try it out. But yes anywhere local if you like i can head to my walmart and see if they have the 20 dollar 7 piece meguiars kit. All you will need a microfiber, some polishing, maybe an absorber which i have now switched to, and soap.
ImagoX

Post Fri May 09, 2008 10:03 am

DO NOT USE THE ELECTRIC ROTARY BUFFERS FROM THE AUTO PARTS STORE - anything that spins around will either be:

- Underpowered (the WalMart/Autozone special) = useless waste of $ or...

- Cheap - will actually INSTALL scratches more than they remove and/or

- Dangerous - pro-powered spinning polishers are for professionals, and can (and will) burn paint if used wrong. Rotary buffers can be AWESOME, but only when used with training.

Go Random Orbital. Porter Cable is the acknowledged master, but Griot's has a good unit too (I've used it). You'll need the polisher, a Velcro-surfaced rubber backing pad, some foam polishing pads (medium to fine) and a proper-sized counter-weight for the backing pad (most PCs come with a 5" weight but the rubber backing pad is 6" - use the right weight to keep the device running smoothly).

Plus product of course (polish and wax) and microfiber cloths and such...

Go to Detailers Paradise and look up their "polishing bundles" - they're the most cost effective. If the price seems high remember that the device will last you DECADES and will give a mirror shine, all while being so safe that you'd practically have to drop the polisher on the car to hurt the paint, so don't skimp. If you need advice on using it, give me a holler - it's pretty easy to use safely, but for best results there IS a "best technique".

If you cheap out and buy a cheapie, and the paint gets all fugly - you've been warned. icon_smile.gif
robbie

Post Fri May 09, 2008 3:15 pm

^^ I didn't buy a cheapie. My friend does detailing and such as a profession. He paid like 150 for it and let me have it for my birthday last year. He gave me everything i would need to make it look good and not ruin my paint. Also i am using scratch x but anyone know how to bring out black paint and make it shine insaely.

More or less for the detailing and washing i was telling him he could find the products there. Because not everyone has tons of money to order stuff that is high end.

I know korn gets a discount lucky *******. icon_twisted.gif
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Sun May 11, 2008 6:14 pm

robbie wrote:
^^ I didn't buy a cheapie. My friend does detailing and such as a profession. He paid like 150 for it and let me have it for my birthday last year. He gave me everything i would need to make it look good and not ruin my paint. Also i am using scratch x but anyone know how to bring out black paint and make it shine insaely.

More or less for the detailing and washing i was telling him he could find the products there. Because not everyone has tons of money to order stuff that is high end.

I know korn gets a discount lucky *******. icon_twisted.gif

yeah i am broke (down to my last 200 bucks of savings for my car) so the high end stuff is kinda out of my range for now

oh yeah korn is lucky
The time now is Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:18 pm
Page 1 of 1