Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Need some easy quick help with led strips

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri May 16, 2008 10:35 am

Hi guys, got my 12" flexible led strips today and I have a stupid question about the wiring. Tried searching but for some reason couldnt find the answer. My strip has power and ground wires coming from each end. Do I only use 1 set of the wires or wire both ends like this?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/ketchupfreak/leddiagram.jpg

Thanks!!
ImagoX

Post Fri May 16, 2008 10:38 am

Can you link to the product you have? All the Flex Strips I've ever installed only had one set of leads on ONE end, comprising one silver and one copper-colored wire. Are you using one of the other LED strips, one designed to be "daisy chained" in a series with others?

This is a Flex Strip - should only have leads on one end:

https://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-strips/led-flex-strips

User posted image
ketchupfreak

Post Fri May 16, 2008 10:44 am

https://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-strips/silicone-encased-led-strip
But the pictures there dont show the wires. Website says that its not expandable.
Here is a pic I took.
User posted image
cardude007617

Post Fri May 16, 2008 11:26 am

id imagine you only need to hook up one side?
Kierra

Post Fri May 16, 2008 11:59 am

try hooking up one side.. see if it lights up.. if not, try two.
i dont see why you would need to hook up two though..
ImagoX

Post Fri May 16, 2008 3:58 pm

Those units can be hooked together, which is why they have multiple "ends". I believe that the wires are actually a cap that comes off if you only need one - try "unplugging" on of the ends (I'd try the end with the wires that are NOT stripped on the ends personally) and see if it comes off. Either way, you should only need to hook up ONE end. If the wires don't come off the other end, and you don't need to retain them for later lengthening, snip them off close to the cap and seal the exposed ends with electrical tape, either traditional or brush-on.
02BlueStang

Post Fri May 16, 2008 6:28 pm

ImagoX wrote:
Those units can be hooked together, which is why they have multiple "ends". I believe that the wires are actually a cap that comes off if you only need one - try "unplugging" on of the ends (I'd try the end with the wires that are NOT stripped on the ends personally) and see if it comes off. Either way, you should only need to hook up ONE end. If the wires don't come off the other end, and you don't need to retain them for later lengthening, snip them off close to the cap and seal the exposed ends with electrical tape, either traditional or brush-on.

X2....just make sure you have NO loose wires. You should only need to hookup one end to power and ground...then just cap the other end by securing it with electrical tape or crimp connector and electrical tape to prevent fire.
Cooper

Post Sun May 18, 2008 9:57 am

The wires aren't a cap, both sides are permanently attached and can't be unplugged .
You only need to connect one side to get your strips working . The other side is just there to make it possible for you to wire many strips together in one long chain .
Like ImagoX said, if you won't be chaining them together just snip one side down shorter and make sure you seal off the ends by wrapping them in electrical tape . You may not want to snip the wires all the way off.. if you leave an inch or two you can still attach wires and chain them up in a future installation if you need to . :D

Edit: And what 02BlueStang means by "no loose wires" is don't leave the wires uncapped or untaped where the end could contact something metal and short out . Leaving extra lengths of wire is fine, just caps those ends .
lbjshaq2345

Post Sun May 18, 2008 10:12 am

I have those same things and they only have leads on one end o.0
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:08 pm
Page 1 of 1