Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Any one in Florida know Laws on Outside lighting?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:52 pm

Any one have a printout of Floridas laws?
Any one know the Florida laws on outsiding lighting for your car(also post your experiences if you have a UB or anything)?

I read around the forums I have found the florida statutes 316.2397 and 316.224 and 316.241 and 316.235 .

Basically it says no red or blue, Green is a no no I think also b/c of emergency vehicles?
But it also states this confusing legal crap...

(1) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two side cowl or fender lamps which shall emit an amber or white light without glare.
(2) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than one running board courtesy lamp on each side thereof which shall emit a white or amber light without glare.

What does that mean for the love of god?

Can I have a UB with white to the front and amber to the back?

Thanks
~Knight
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:26 pm

I would just be safe in florida and not drive with your UB on.

I mean...I drive around here with my Inferno on demo mode and the cops just wave at me...but then again I live in a town of 15,000 people and 15 cops.
Kris

Post Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:29 am

Basically sounds like you can have two underbody white lights under the car, and two more, one for each side of the car (if the cops ask they're running board lights / courtesy lights)

Running board lights = goes back to the day when the Explorers / SUVs and large trucks had amber / white lights to see the 'step-up' to the car.

Basically looks like a loophole to allow 2 front LED bars, and one white (Piranha or SMD would be my suggestion) for some underbody glow.

In my opinion amber wouldn't look right and personally reminds me of those old amber incandescent bulbs to keep the bugs away (they couldn't see that dark of a kelvin)
02BlueStang

Post Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:20 am

Kris is correct, you can only use white under the vehicle while it is running.

Do not drive with the kit on with anything other than white displayed or you will receive a lighting ticket that will also be a moving violation.
J.Pribb

Post Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:10 am

If he runs white only all around, then hes gonna catch a ticket too. In fl all ub, unless its the "streetwise mode" is illegal. white front/side only, if he has white or amber at rear that is what will get you in trouble, only red in rear.
Kris

Post Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:54 pm

+1 - Just from the law sounds like 4 SMD bars properply mounted, maybe with some white in the grille to even it out would be your best bet. Amber... a bit cheesy for underbody icon_twisted.gif
Chris

Post Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:56 pm

I actually thought about 2 ambers for the side, white for front and red for rear for the rx7. That way I might not get a ticket if its on while driving.
robbie

Post Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:57 pm

^^ The ICE kit runs this setup on a programmed mode. icon_biggrin.gif
02BlueStang

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:00 pm

J.Pribb wrote:
If he runs white only all around, then hes gonna catch a ticket too. In fl all ub, unless its the "streetwise mode" is illegal. white front/side only, if he has white or amber at rear that is what will get you in trouble, only red in rear.

almost all states will accept white as a color because it does not cause a distraction as the law is designed to keep from happening. A bright white will draw attention if lit from the rear, but its not different than having running board lights on a truck, or extra license plate lamps to illuminate the rear of the vehicle.

I wouldnt haslte anyone for white.
runeknight95

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:10 pm

I also read white is not allwoed in the rear unless a car is going backwards.

Im still confused ont he rest, I have a black car white may look nice even though that disapoints me, so according to you guys I can run white on both side AND in the front? I already have 4 lights going fowards or does it not count if bulbs are hidden? And for the back?
Chris

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:16 pm

Dont drive with them on and you will be find.
runeknight95

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:30 pm

Yea Obviously I would be fine, just as fine as if I didnt buy them.. icon_sad.gif
Still looking for some answers

Thanks again all
Ryan88

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:50 am

Put 2 UB kits on. A white one for driving, and a Inferno for show.
02BlueStang

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:18 am

It really depends on how the officer you see interprets the law....then it depends on how the judge you get see's it.

If would just not run with them on. But if you insist on using them on public roads...I would do Front and Sides....and then back very dim if possible or not at all.
bradchuck2

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:23 pm

not to be a wise-azz on my 1st reply...BUT...besides knight, anyone been to MIAMI? It is one of the aftermarket/upgrade meccas of north america. I've seen crazy lights, hydraulics, hot-tubs in limos, (i.e. crazy sheet) over there. the color of your UB ain't the problem. If you are being a nuisance, your UB (or your window tint) is the cherry on top (I've been drivin around with a 4100A, 3000W stereo with 5% limo-tint OVER factory tint for 4 years. I don't cause problems, I'm not where I should not be when I should not be. And the Cops don't care.)

I guess what I'm saying is, short of red and blue wig-wags while you drive at night past all the drug houses, you should be fine with what ever... that said, I'm not responsible for your ticket when you get it...lol
KaosFaction

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:52 pm

You're focusing on the wrong section of the law:
316.2397 is what you need

1) No person shall drive or move or cause to be moved any vehicle or equipment upon any highway within this state with any lamp or device thereon showing or displaying a red or blue light visible from directly in front thereof except for certain vehicles hereinafter provided.

(2) It is expressly prohibited for any vehicle or equipment, except police vehicles, to show or display blue lights. However, vehicles owned, operated, or leased by the Department of Corrections may show or display blue lights when responding to emergencies.

No Red. No Blue. And trust me, nothing remotely even close to those colors...if you are running LED that blends colors, you better make sure that the shades are very apparent, and the actual LEDs are 100% not visible. They can stop you for one visible blue LED, and they can stop you for aquamarine/pink/etc.

But Green, White, Dark Purple, etc etc are fine.

PS ~ (7) Flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except as a means of indicating a right or left turn, to change lanes, or to indicate that the vehicle is lawfully stopped or disabled upon the highway or except that the lamps authorized in subsections (1), (2), (3), (4), and (9) and s. 316.235(5) are permitted to flash.) ~ NO STROBES KK?!

The section you were talking about has to deal with visible bulbs, like your head and tail lights; the white and yellow designations are simply a courteousy to other drivers not to confuse or even blind them.
Ryan88

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:36 am

drive around like this;
runeknight95

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:20 pm

I do that all the time...People seem to stay out of my way for some reason.
Ryan88

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:22 pm

dude same here! They always get out of my way, I won't even be riding their ass, and they move for me ^_^
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:58 pm

Ryan88 wrote:
drive around like this;

I drive with my Demo mode on and the cops dont care here.
The time now is Sun May 27, 2018 10:22 am
Page 1 of 1