Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

how should i connect my dash speakers

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:23 am

In my 06 trailblazer there are 4 door speakers and a pair in the dash. The unit im installing is a panasonic cq-vw100u it has 4 rca preamp outputs (front/rear) and one preamp sub output. im already using the 4 channels for the 4 door speakers and the sub output for the sub. But the unit also has 4 channels (front/rear) coming out of the power connector at 18 watt rms. What im wondering is if the 4 channels that are coming out of the power connector are correlated at all with the 4 preamp rca outputs for the door speakers. Is it possible to use one pair of channels from the power connector and all four of the preamp speaker outputs, or will i have do divide up channels from the amp to run all six speakers?
Zaixon

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:03 pm

do NOT run 6 speakers (inside and subs) on a 4 ch amp..... you're going to need a 2ch amp to power the subs and just use the 4ch amp to power the inside soeakers.
robbie

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:19 pm

^^ What that guy said,

Any reason to start a new thread for the same quesiton just about, and isn't this supposed to be in the car audio section?
Cooper

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:48 pm

Assuming the amp was rated to handle it, you could potentially wire all six speakers to a four channel amplifier but its a sort of ghetto-rigged method . The dash speakers are likely to be smaller and have lower power handling and will work better with a higher crossover point .
To do this you need to calculate the resistance of the front door and dash speakers and compare it to the amplifiers specs to ensure it won't burn out the amp . Don't try doing this unless you first confirm on the manufacturer's spec sheet that its within the ability of the amp, otherwise you risk damage . You would want to wire each of the front two speakers to one of the front outputs on the amplifier . (Right front door and right dash both plug into the same +/- pair on the amp, for example) . Again, worst choice, but often possible .

On almost all head units, the pre-outs will work at the same time as the powered outputs built into the deck . So, yes, you could run the outputs for your amps and then power the dash speakers directly from the head unit . Some head units will even allow you to bridge the four outputs into two more powerful channels, but again you must confirm with manufacturer's specs that your head unit supports this and the power output would be within the acceptable range for the small dash speakers, otherwise don't try it .
This is also sort of a lame way to do things for another reason . It will be difficult to match the output of the speakers running through the amp and the two dash speakers that are not amped . If getting everything tuned just perfect isn't a huge concern it might not bother you much . But you will need to tweak with the output settings on your amplifiers to match them to your dash speakers.. which are the smallest and least powerful speakers in your car.. so you might be bottlenecking the rest of your system in order to keep the dash speakers relevant in your audio experience . YMMV .
The best solution would be to add another small amp . A little super cheap dinky thing with two channel output, just enough power, and a high pass filter . Find a tiny one . Hide it somewhere if you want . Use RCA splitters to split the front output going from the deck to your main amp and the new tiny crappy one .
Cooper

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:49 pm

Zaixon wrote:
do NOT run 6 speakers (inside and subs) on a 4 ch amp..... you're going to need a 2ch amp to power the subs and just use the 4ch amp to power the inside soeakers.

You don't necessarily need a two channel amp for the subs . A mono might work just as well or better .
Zaixon

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:51 pm

Cooper wrote:
Zaixon wrote:

You don't necessarily need a two channel amp for the subs . A mono might work just as well or better .

yer right lol i got a mono amp powering my 2 subs (works great btw)

i've seen some ghetto rigged stuff, but the only way to achieve the best sound would be with 2 separate amps. and i have seen a 5 ch amp... but it sounded ****
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:23 am
Page 1 of 1