Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

underwater boat lights

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:00 am

I'm wanting to install a pair of High Intensity LED Flood Lights on the back of my sea-doo jet boat. The lights will be submerged when the boat is in the water.

Are these LED lights durable enough for marine applications?

lbjshaq2345

Post Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:12 am

Yes. Pics of boat now plz.. I love the Sea-Doo boats..love love love them.
strmchzr

Post Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:22 am

What products do I need to wire the lights to my boat's electrical system?
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:49 am

that will look sick i want pics when you get it done

as for wiring it run a fused wire from your battery to on side of your switch (if useing a lighted toggle switch run a ground wire to the switch where labeled) then run a wire from the other side of the switch out to the led flood lights positive wire. then ground both ground wires coming from the lights and you will be ready to glow.

wiring product to do all this can be picked up at your local auto parts store. for example butt connectors, heat shrink tubing, male and female connectors

if you need some more help check out some of these diagrams they may be a little help
https://www.oznium.com/forum/topic20
lbjshaq2345

Post Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:28 pm

It will be a little harder to find a ground in a boat considering most of it is composed of fiberglass...I would just ground to the battery.
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:48 pm

yeah i forgot about that, sorry
A-Ray

Post Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:57 pm

Everyone seems to be on point with what to do.

On the other hand, if you would like to receive more help then I suggest you post some more pics of the ladies in the firs pic. icon_biggrin.gif
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:49 pm

A-Ray wrote:
Everyone seems to be on point with what to do.

On the other hand, if you would like to receive more help then I suggest you post some more pics of the ladies in the firs pic. icon_biggrin.gif

i agree that may be a sig right there
strmchzr

Post Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:52 pm

Fellas,

I'm going to need some more help, so..........

Specifically, what kind of wire should be used for marine applications? What other "waterproofing" measures should I take to ensure the system works?
lbjshaq2345

Post Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:02 pm

Any familiarity with a soldering iron? It will be better than crimping your wires together. Cover all your connections with electrical tape/heat shrink, then go over that with silicone. No special wire should be needed.
robbie

Post Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:07 pm

^^ Lbsahq def hit it on th head. Solder and heatshrink, and silicone will be your friend.
A-Ray

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:42 am

Don't scrimp on the silicone either. You don't want water getting in the connection.

Now we need bigger, higher quality pics for the next bit of help. icon_biggrin.gif
TRogers

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:54 am

A-Ray wrote:
Now we need bigger, higher quality pics for the next bit of help. icon_biggrin.gif

Amen!

Please need more help icon_biggrin.gif
PwrRngr

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:08 am

Once concern I see is how are you going to get the lights outside the hull and still run the wires inside. Are you just going to bring the wires over the side or do you have a mounting plan what will seal everything up?
Like was said, make sure you solder instead of crimping. A boat will take a lot more vibrations/shocks than most other applications.
mx107marlin

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:15 am

I think everyone has good points, but I would personally try to use as little connections as possible, wire that hasn't been cut is 100% waterproof....once you cut it, it's very hard to make it waterproof again...

I also would like to know how you're going to get the wires from the inside of the boat to the outside of the boat... as well as mount these lights to the outside of the boat...

Water is much denser than air, and it is liable to rip things off the side of a boat as the boat moves through the water...
strmchzr

Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:07 am

OK, so......

I'm wanting to mount two hi-intensity LED Flood lights (https://www.oznium.com/led-flood-and-spot-lights/high-intensity-led-floodlight) on the stern of my boat. Basically, it should resemble this guy's set-up:

After attaching the flood lights to the boat, I'll need to drill a hole in the hull (YIKES!) for wiring. I'll use an ATC fuse holder (https://www.oznium.com/wire-12v-and-relays) to connect the battery to the lighted toggle switch (https://www.oznium.com/switches/rocker-switch). What size fuse should I use?

I don't have a soldering iron, so I'll need to heat shrink my connections and use silicone. Should I be concerned with the integrity of the wiring if I can't solder it?

Finally, I'm considering adding a LED Lighting Module underneath the driver's console (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5302/lit-136/FrozenCPU_RingPuk_10_LED_Lighting_Module_-_Blue.html?tl=g6c77). Will this require another toggle switch to operate independently of the underwater lights? I wasn't sure if the On/OFF/ON toggle switch allows underwater lights on as well as underwater lights and LED lighting module ON simultaneously.

Thanks for all the help!
mx107marlin

Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:42 am

Alright... As far as your connections, I would definitely crimp them or do something besides just twist and shrink.. you could use butt connectors and crimp them, or you can just go to radio shack and get a 7.99 soldering kit. I would NOT trust wires that have not been securely connected in some way (Solder or crimped)

As far as switches, you could do what you want with an On-off-on switch, but it would require you to wire in a diode in the circuit. The best idea I can come up with would be to just put them both on one switch, (Night is night right? Would you ever have a time where you want one on and not the other?) If you want to be able to turn them on and off independently, I would just go with 2 switches..
A-Ray

Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:25 pm

I don't know if you should be concerned about the integrity of you wiring with soldering, But I would def buy a soldering kit. I don't use mine as near as much as I should.

Make sure to use plenty of silicone.
strmchzr

Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:13 pm

I've ordered the FrozenCPU LED module to mount underneath the driving console. What is the easiest way to wire this LED module to the rocker switch on the front of the console?

lbjshaq2345

Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:22 pm

Cut those connectors off, leaving the long black and red wires. They will hook up + and - to your power source.
mx107marlin

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:38 am

lbjshaq2345 wrote:
Cut those connectors off, leaving the long black and red wires. They will hook up + and - to your power source.

x2
thesull

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:26 pm

I use the crimps with the heat adhesive inside. They are amazing. really easy to use. Then I place heat shrink over t to be extra safe. Looks clean too. you could place silicone inside the heat shrink or uy the heat shrink with the gel inside... I use the gel heat shrink...

There is a marine grade wire I used once upon a time for many projects....
The time now is Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:52 pm
Page 1 of 1