Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

led chevy emblem

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:05 pm

well i have been looking at a SSled Chevy emblem for a impala ss grill i am going to buy like this

these cost about 125 dollar which is to much, so i am going to build one. i already have the emblem itself, my question is what kinda led are theses because they are pretty small. the blue part of the emblem i have is about a quarter inch wide so i need small leds. does oz have any that will work or does anybody know where i could get some blue ones at.
HoolaKinG

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:45 pm

I'd bet the 3mm LEDs would be fine...

And would cost a hell of a lot less than $125
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:34 pm

o.k yeah 3mm leds will work great, can some one help me with what resistor i need, i want to run 40 blue 3mm super bright leds (30ma and 3.5 volts) off my car battery (12 or 14.5 volts). have tried using resistor calculators and they want me to wire them 3 on a resistor and i don't have that much room to do that with this project
HoolaKinG

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:02 am

Don't have room, as in don't really have room for any resistors?

You could wire them in series (I think? I forget which one is which, but have the positive of one go to the negative of the next, etc.) and do it that way. Depending on which color you use, you do three or four - it is in the frequently asked questions section of the product page.
justin

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:07 am

$180 for white? Are you freaking kidding me?

I have wanted a white one forever, but want it to glow, not look like a spotty white LED ****. The LED's aren't even mounted squarely to the emblem :\
HoolaKinG

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:09 am

Glow you could just get some el wire and use that - would be even glow, not spotty at all.
justin

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:48 am

That might work, otherwise, I was thinking about these:

http://www.beingseen.com/sheets.html
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:57 am

HoolaKinG wrote:
Don't have room, as in don't really have room for any resistors?

You could wire them in series (I think? I forget which one is which, but have the positive of one go to the negative of the next, etc.) and do it that way. Depending on which color you use, you do three or four - it is in the frequently asked questions section of the product page.

i have room for a few like 2 or 3 but not 8 or 9
TechSys

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:37 pm

I am working on mine, using 5mm LEDs. It's a pain in the a$$ to do, but I have plenty of room behind the actual grill for the resistors and such.

So far I only have 2 LEDs installed. Just been lazy and don't want to solder any more.
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:40 pm

TechSys wrote:
I am working on mine, using 5mm LEDs. It's a pain in the a$$ to do, but I have plenty of room behind the actual grill for the resistors and such.

So far I only have 2 LEDs installed. Just been lazy and don't want to solder any more.

yeah i say you doing this i think i was the one that recommended it to you? how are you doing yours are you actually putting the in the emblem or did you cut a piece of something to go around the out side of it?
alkatmsu

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:03 pm

You don't have to have the resistors directly attached to the LEDs, do you? What I mean is, couldn't you wire in resistors a ways away from the emblem, then just run the power wires to the emblem? Like this: Battery--fused wire-resistor--------wire--emblem
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:52 pm

yeah i guess i could try that?
TechSys

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:48 pm

ChevyCaprice9C1 wrote:
yeah i say you doing this i think i was the one that recommended it to you? how are you doing yours are you actually putting the in the emblem or did you cut a piece of something to go around the out side of it?

I'm putting holes through the emblem and using some old Christmas LEDs that are flattened out. This makes the LEDs fit flush. When I get done, I'll probably put some clear silicone or something over the top of them, completely around the whole bowtie. Just to water proof them and make it look better.

I'm also doing a resistor per LED. It's a little easier to wire, for me that is. Plus I have a lot of room behind the bowtie. I can fit a project box back there if I wanted to.

Still have to get time to finish it though. I have to do an alarm reinstall. the brain on mine died the other day, so I'm upgrading to a better one. The new alarm doesn't use LEDs since it has the ECHO antenna which has 2 LEDS built into it. Guess I'm gonna do a circuit or something to flash, strobe, or whatever, the bowtie. I might get a meteor, if I can find one, and wire it to the LEDs.
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:26 pm

o.k so you are drilling holes throgh the whole grill not just the emblem
Radioflyer

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:38 pm

IMO, EL wire would probably look better because it wouldn't have the hot spots of LEDs. even if you shave off the focal tips on the LEDs you'd still have the spot pattern.
alkatmsu

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:37 am

If you're really good, you may be able to adapt the make-your-own-angel-eyes idea and make the logo from that...
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:24 pm

Radioflyer wrote:
IMO, EL wire would probably look better because it wouldn't have the hot spots of LEDs. even if you shave off the focal tips on the LEDs you'd still have the spot pattern.

yeah i thought about using el wire, i am going to try it before i try the leds
02cougarman

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:59 pm

or you could get like a cuttout of the emblem in polycarbonate and sand it so it looks frosted, then just put some lighting behind it and have an even glow. like make it somewhat of a box behind it

this is what i mean (sorry i cant draw in paint, im a CAD student but could not remember my passwords to get into the school programs)
User posted image
Radioflyer

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:50 pm

02cougarman wrote:
or you could get like a cuttout of the emblem in polycarbonate and sand it so it looks frosted, then just put some lighting behind it and have an even glow. like make it somewhat of a box behind it

this is what i mean (sorry i cant draw in paint, im a CAD student but could not remember my passwords to get into the school programs)
User posted image

I"ll be trying "frosted" plexi in my next project. I'm rather anxious to see how it works. I'll be using cathodes for a light source though so the lighting should be significantly brighter and more uniform.
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:50 pm

yeah thats a great idea but where could i get that made at?
Radioflyer

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:48 pm

ChevyCaprice9C1 wrote:
yeah thats a great idea but where could i get that made at?

Plexiglas or acrylic is available at most hardware stores as a replacement or upgrade to glass windows. Duraplex and Lexan polycarbonate are very strong and can be easily drilled, or cut with a reciprocating saw. The lighter grade stuff has to be cut very genty either with a hack saw or a fine tooth band saw blade (any blade you'd normally used to cut sheet metal)
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:35 pm

o.k cool thanks
02cougarman

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:22 pm

i would shy away from using plexiglass due to the fact that it cracks very easily and its hard to work with. polycarbonate is very easy to work with and is very durable. you could just get a piece of it and paint the black part on...
mackgeezy

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:37 pm

you really dont need resistors .....

if you use blue,green or white then just wire the leds in groups of 3 or 4 (depending on how bright you want them) ... that way each led will see around 3.5 volts each
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:15 pm
Page 1 of 1