Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Using Dye on headliner?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:04 pm

Hey i just got a 04 RX8 (pics soon), and theres a few stains on the headliner (wtf).

Its a beige headliner, and i got the 2 tone black/red leather interior, so i was thinking about dying the cloth part of the headliner black, then painting the trim pieces, and sunroof surroundings red for accent color...

any ideas on a dye? or if this will work at all?
justin

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:54 pm

Congrats on the new purchase.

I wonder if you could get away with using RIT dye used for clothing? Next problem is, what are you gonna fill up to dye it, a kiddie pool?

PIX KTHX icon_biggrin.gif
Kevin_S

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:00 pm

i wouldn't do it, personally. i've seen people do it and sometimes it turns out okay and sometimes it looks awful.

just buy new fabric and redo it....the fabric is uber cheap and the spray headliner glue works pretty well....plus you could do it in any color you want.
thesull

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:02 pm

Yea undo all your side plastics and remove the pillars on the inside usually a couple clips and screws... wiggle the headliner board out and replace the material...

Probably about 4 hours work...

the material can be found at hancocks or walmart
robbie

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:13 pm

Just replace the material in it. Find one you like and then do it. It's easy and a better option then using dye on it.
Josh182

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:17 pm

Does anyone know of a good how to on that? i wanna get this done right ya know, this is a nice car, i dont wanna half ass it not knowing what im doin ya know?

thanks for the response btw.
markwerline

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:18 pm

spray glue and new fabric = choice of fabric and color for better execution and results. snap some pics of the progress... curious to see how this turns out for you.
thesull

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:23 pm

use the 3m **** like $10-20 a can... or pay someone around $120-150
robbie

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:25 pm

x2 on the 3m. a friend used it and worked great for him.
Josh182

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:43 pm

do i get a stretchy material? or just cloth? i need to go out and look at my headliner and see how smooth it is... problems i can see happening are the openings for sunroof/domelight and stuff...
TRogers

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:51 pm

I've done all three things listed so far.

Dying - **** results, sometimes turns out "crunchy" or "crumbly" if too much dye is used.

Replace Fabric - Not as hard as you would think, unless you have funky holes and curves to work with. With some good 3M spray adhesive, sharp scissors, and a pair of clean latex gloves you should be golden. :)

Pay someone - I paid a company $150 to redo a headliner and it looked OEM. Money well spent and work I didn't have to do.

If I ever did this again, I would pay someone to have it done. Unless I didn't really care about the car that much icon_biggrin.gif
Cooper

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:07 pm

Duplicolor makes an automotive interior dye that works on headliners . I would remove both front seats, cover the rear seats and all the carpeted area . Then spray the paint into a small bowl and paint it on the headliner with a foam brush . That's the method typically used for Miata headliners, anywho .
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:21 am
Page 1 of 1