Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Crap. Friend dropped LED Bulb into tC Headlight.

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:01 am

I was replacing my parking lights on my tC with a friend. After he put the bulb into the socket, he was putting the fixture back into the headlight, and the bulb fell out into the reflector. It wasn't that far in, so I told him to hold on a second while I got something to get it out. Well, he didn't hold on a ****ing second and the bulb fell underneath the fixture. Further effort to get it out has caused even more problems, and gotten it stuck further.

Here is the approximate location of the LED now. I can see it when I take off the rubber stopper from the highbeam.

What can I do? icon_confused.gif
markwerline

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:08 am

bake it apart.
Neodudeman

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:11 am

that's what everyone's said. puppy_dog_eyes.gif

I guess that's the only thing to do.

Oh well. It'll be a good excuse to install that UB kit.
markwerline

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:26 am

I know nothing of the actual process from experience but its the oly thing I can think of if it is that stuck in there. can you play the upside-down-then-flip-it-over-real-quickly-to-get-it-back-through-the-hole game?
kornholio788

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:29 am

User posted image

In all seriousness. I would say if you can't like get it to fall back through the whole or something then just bake it apart and while you are at it put some halos and leds in that bish.
markwerline

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:08 am

^ good point he has there.
TRogers

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:33 am

Take the headlight off, pull the bulbs out so you have bigger holes to work in. If you can't reach it with needle nose just shake that beast out of there.
Chris

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:18 am

Yessirrr.

Take off the headlight, shake it around like a mad man.

Make sure you take the bulbs out first. Dont go break one of those on accident.

Get those little springy plier things. They have 3 prongs on the end, when you squeeze the trigger the prongs expand then let of and grab it.

I had to use it on a company truck once to get the broken bulb out. It worked wonders.

Think of a claw machine at stores where you win the stuffed... stuff. Thats how the end works.
TRogers

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:23 am

The Claw!! I forgot all about that tool. I had one back in the day when I lived with my parents, I bet it's still in my Dad's toolbox. That *******!

http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/32-9028.html?mv_pc=Froogle
Kris

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:53 am

Screwdriver with glue? putty? epoxy? ( biglaugh.gif ) added to the end, inserted through one of the bulb housings?
thesull

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:00 am

Why not a piece of tape?
Kris

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:07 am

Why not two pieces of tape? Double the efficiency right there!
lbjshaq2345

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:50 pm

Lmao I have that fell down into my reverse socket and one in my sidemarker socket. Too lazy to do anything about it. Yeah just bake em apart, black out your sidemarkers while you're at it and put some cool **** in there. I've seen people color match all the black trim inside the headlights to their car, looks really good with a white tC.
Neodudeman

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:49 pm

TRogers wrote:
The Claw!! I forgot all about that tool. I had one back in the day when I lived with my parents, I bet it's still in my Dad's toolbox. That *******!

http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/32-9028.html?mv_pc=Froogle

Oh man, we have one like this, but it's really small. That one looks like it may work, but the opening is Really small, and Really tight.

We tried the 'insert here' method, but the way it's stuck is Insane. The closest bulb hole is that turn signal hole, and even then, it's like right Under that hole. Like, literally. Not beneath the hole, but more like Behind the hole.

Today, when I get off work (in 15 minutes) I'm gonna try using an air compressor to blow the thing around, and a strong vacumm cleaner to suck it up. Hopefully.

I really doubt that will work, but I want to save the fender removal for the trump card/last ditch effort.
Black DX

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:05 pm

I actually dropped the switchback towers into my buddies focus's headlights when I was doing them, just had to shake n rattle it around till it was sitting in the turn signal opening and then grabbed the base with neddle nose pliers... did that atleast 4 times, but it worked like a charm...
thesull

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:09 pm

Kris wrote:
Why not two pieces of tape? Double the efficiency right there!

Damn't. Are we going to do this ever tread? hahaha

Why not write a full FAQ or the website for LED install and LED retrieval? hahha

Ever drop your led in _____?
Use a coat hang and X amount of tape and retrieve your LED. haha
lbjshaq2345

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:32 pm

Don't have to take off the fender to take off the headlight. Just the front bumper. It's a lot easier than it sounds. 4 clips and ~10 screws for the bumper, 3 screws for the headlights.
Neodudeman

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:35 pm

Well it's done. Took about 4 hours. 4 freaking hours, when it was supposed to be a 5 minute job.

But! It's done. Thank goodness. Here are some pics of finding the jerk. Took about 20 minutes of just shaking the stupid headlight around before the thing came out.

Ya, there was no way we could have used sticky tape to get that thing out, no matter how many pieces. icon_razz.gif

You can see it slightly there. It's the white-blue-white pattern.

By neodudeman

I'll also updated the pics of the new lights in my hedgehog thread.
Tat2Dragons

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:48 pm

Glad to hear you got your bulb out,but please tell me that's not an wire nut with tape on it. icon_confused.gif If it is,I hope it's only a temp. hook up for something. icon_smile.gif
Neodudeman

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:52 am

Tat2Dragons wrote:
Glad to hear you got your bulb out,but please tell me that's not an wire nut with tape on it. icon_confused.gif If it is,I hope it's only a temp. hook up for something. icon_smile.gif

Errr... Ya, that's a wire nut with tape... icon_lol.gif It's for my grill lights icon_redface.gif
PwrRngr

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:04 am

Neodudeman wrote:
Tat2Dragons wrote:

Errr... Ya, that's a wire nut with tape... icon_lol.gif It's for my grill lights icon_redface.gif

Crimp or solder those wires together. Wire nuts aren't good with vibrations. Redoing that with a crimp will only take you 5 min and you'll most likely have to do it eventually.
Tat2Dragons

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:33 am

PwrRngr wrote:
Neodudeman wrote:
Tat2Dragons wrote:

Crimp or solder those wires together. Wire nuts aren't good with vibrations. Redoing that with a crimp will only take you 5 min and you'll most likely have to do it eventually.

Yeah I totally agree. icon_smile.gif

Personally I prefer to use an uninsulated butt style crimp connector and dual wall heat shrink tubing on my connections that are exposed to the environment. icon_cool.gif
blue one

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:17 am

God damn impatient friends, sounds like something my friends would have done.. icon_rolleyes.gif
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:58 pm

Haha I just had the same thing happen to me at about 2 am a couple nights ago when I was installing some new 194 bulbs in my tC headlight. Took about 10 minutes to get it out with a vacuum cleaner & baja fresh straw taped to the end. Took a lot of wiggling and luck, but was finally able to "grab" hold of it from suction at the end of the straw.
BTW... just got some new 194 bulbs in! Check it out: https://www.oznium.com/accent-lighting/194
lbjshaq2345

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:52 pm

Pics of these new ones in your headlights? I would imagine the other would spread better since they have LEDs in different directions and the light hits the reflector.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:56 am

Yea I think the older ones did indeed spread better, but they couldn't hold up to the heat like these new aluminum ones.
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:56 am
Page 1 of 1