Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

35 watt D2S HID conversion---> 55 watt HID

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:59 pm

My headlamps are oem 35 watt D2S HID, I want to upgrade the entire system to be 55 Watts. I did the 55 W conversion to my fog lights with no problem. however, my headlights are completely different.

The bulb recepticle is similar to this. And then a metal box attaches to the back of the bulb and then the power wire plugs into the box. How do you convert a system that is stock HID to another HID system?

User posted image
User posted image
Black DX

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:07 am

The projectors are D2S units, the bulbs you show are D1S units, I do believe there is a converter base that lets you run D2S bulbs in a base for D1S bulbs but I don't D1S bulbs fit in D2S projectors....
RRSport

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:29 am

yeah i was just using those as an example. It looks very similar in the way they are setup. I just need to know how to hookup a conversion kit to them.

Do I just splice into the main power wire that connects to the small box on the end of the bulb? is there a ballast for the oem units? I coould not locate one. Thats why I was thinking if i get the conversion kit, and wire it into the main power line and thats it. But if there is another ballast some where that will screw everything up, I would have to wire/splice before the oem ballast.

I need to fit a D2S 55 watt into my 35 W D2S
Black DX

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:35 am

D2S's will fit in any D2S opening, the only thing that changes is the wattage (and mainly it's a different tempature rating because of the higher power and potentialy longer bulb life..), most OE ballasts are mounted in or near the headlight housing, so mainly you'd simply be swapping the ballasts out and bulbs. With out knowing where your OE ballasts are I can't say exactly what you need to do but as long as both bulbs are D2S's than it'll just be finding the ballast and removing it or rewiring the unit to direct power to the new ballast...
RRSport

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:36 pm

I found the ballast it is connected to the bottom of the headlight, but it is completely different in how it connects. There are no wires it just has a rubber recepticle that pushes down and plugs in to the bottom of the headlight. I understand any D2S will fit, and I have the 50W HID bulbs and use them for my fogs with no problems.

I'm not sure how to get the power to bypass the ballast. If I remove the ballast it may not get power at all. I may just have to have a profesional do this one.
Black DX

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:47 pm

With the ballast being pre-installed on the headlight there should be a harness that plugs into the headlight, from that you should be able to find the positive signal for the low beams and slice/disconnect it from the headlight and connect the power from the 55watt ballasts to it.
The time now is Wed May 23, 2018 11:05 pm
Page 1 of 1