Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

fuse amperage for a cigarette lighter

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:54 pm

1957 Chevrolet..........
I put a 30AMP inline fuse holder on the cigarette lighter-
What fuse amperage do I use ?

Thank you in advance,
Mike

icon_rolleyes.gif
02BlueStang

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:18 am

holy crap batman....what are you drawing power for from the cig adapter? If you are running just LED lighting etc refer to the thread regarding the Amperage draw for each individual item sold at oznium and add them up to get a grand total....nothing bigger than 10-15Amps though...
VSO737

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:16 am

My car does NOT have fuse protection to the cigarette lighter. I already had a meltdown......so I'm putting in an "inline buss 30 AMP fuse holder" to protect the lighter. I need to know what amperage fuse should I use??
I'm leaning towards a 7 amp fuse. Just want to get some opinions on the matter. I don't want the ground wire to melt on my carpet again!

Thanks,
Mike icon_mad.gif
SickWitIt

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:26 am

You've got/had problems if you're having meltdowns.
Kevin_S

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:40 am

A 7amp fuse should be plenty for a ciggy plug. I wouldn't go over 10 or 15. 7 should be perfect. Anything pulling over 5 amps from a ciggy plug is heavy duty anyway heh

Just out of curiosity, what caused the "meltdown"?
markwerline

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:56 pm

10 seems to be just right for me. anything over 15 is way overkill.
02BlueStang

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:04 pm

It depends on what you are using it for power for....if you are running lights it is going to pull less power, if you are running your stereo and all your accessories it is going to draw more power and more likely to cause a fire/issues.

If it is for normal items such as lighting and small power sources I would go with a 7-10 Amp fuse...anything higher than that and you should wire it directly to the batt and make sure you have an inline fuse going....

I know your vehicle does not have a fuse box icon_wink.gif icon_cool.gif
bad venge

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:18 pm

I'd get an ampmeter and plug it into the fuse and see what it pulls then step up to the next fuse size
VSO737

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:52 pm

ANS: The veh is a 1957 Corvette. THe cigarette lighter does NOT get fused. My understanding is that the '57 sedan does get fused. In any event, I want the extra protection so I'm putting in an inline fuse holder.
I assume the cigarette lighter itself grounded out which caused the ground wire to completely melt onto the carpet. I was lucky.....it could have been worse!
Tested the cigarette lighter and it seems OK.............I'll soon found out when I put juice to it. Worse scenario is a blown fuse.

I'm dealing with a 51 year old item here...........

icon_neutral.gif
The time now is Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:27 pm
Page 1 of 1