Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Cathode Trunk Light Mod

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:28 pm

Mods removed my previous thread because of an image I had. I was simply posting my mod and that its plug and play, works with practically all cars that uses 194/168/921 and similar bulb sizes as well as 3022/3175. Unfortunately, I have to get the festoon (31mm) and try it out.

I soldered a fuse holder and added a 1A slow burn fuse. I dont know if its really needed since the inverter and the socket in the car as 12V. Any knowledgeable users out there when it comes to electrical stuff know if this fuse is necessary? Can I just solder the wedge/festoon plug to the wire that comes with the inverter without the need for the fuse?

I tried this on my gfs 2003 Honda Accord as well...

This mod came in handy when I went to Jones Beach during Labor Day for a BBQ and fishing outing. My cousin had her 04 Acura TL and I had my 09 Camry SE. Since the parking lot had no lights, it was hard to see the inside of the trunk while putting things away...for her at least. I had no problems putting a fishing pole inside and moving things around.

I wouldnt mind experimenting with LEDs such as the Piranha but its too pricey. The cathodes are cheap and affordable.
ethanFBM

Post Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:21 pm

how did you do this, im interested in putting cathodes in my trunk as well, and to just plug them in to the old bulb spot would be nice
dcemureviews

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:13 am

pretty much soldered a fuse to the positive on to wire that came with the inverter and soldered the connector to it. If the car you're putting the cathodes in, is the Sunfire, your trunk uses a 906 bulb. So the plug pictured above will work.
Moss

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:59 am

I always wondered if my trunk light stays on like the refrigerator light.
dcemureviews

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:25 am

Trunk light turns off when closed. My refrigerator light turns off when its closed.
kornholio788

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:47 am

dcemureviews wrote:
Trunk light turns off when closed. My refrigerator light turns off when its closed.

How do you know? You ever been inside your fridge when it is fully closed. One of the many mysteries of the X-files.
dcemureviews

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:48 am

kornholio788 wrote:
dcemureviews wrote:

How do you know? You ever been inside your fridge when it is fully closed. One of the many mysteries of the X-files.

Easy..when you close the door (not all the way), you can tell if the light turns off. There is a sensor/knob that knows when the door is about to close and is touching it. Just like your car door. You can have it slightly open but yet, the light in your car doesnt turn on.

No point in having the light on in the fridge if its not open. Just wasting more energy when it could be used to keep the food/beverage cold.

You can also put in a camera and set it to video or a camcorder and see for yourself. Mystery solved.

Also, the bulb in your refrigerator is not LED so if you have it on all day 24/7, the light will burn out eventually.

Last edited by dcemureviews on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total
TRogers

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:50 am

Where did you get your bulb bases? I'm tired of making my own.

Last edited by TRogers on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total
A-Ray

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:54 am

TRogers wrote:
Where do you get your bulb bases? I'm tired of making my own.

You could find someone that purchased a dome light from here and saved their extra bases and had one that you needed.
kornholio788

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:02 am

dcemureviews wrote:
kornholio788 wrote:
dcemureviews wrote:

Easy..when you close the door (not all the way), you can tell if the light turns off. There is a sensor/knob that knows when the door is about to close and is touching it. Just like your car door. You can have it slightly open but yet, the light in your car doesnt turn on.

No point in having the light on in the fridge if its not open. Just wasting more energy when it could be used to keep the food/beverage cold.

You can also put in a camera and set it to video or a camcorder and see for yourself. Mystery solved.

Also, the bulb in your refrigerator is not LED so if you have it on all day 24/7, the light will burn out eventually.

Lol. Dude I was joking. I know how a refrigerator works hahahaha.

Was supposed to be a joke. Obviously you missed it.
TRogers

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:31 am

A-Ray wrote:
TRogers wrote:

You could find someone that purchased a dome light from here and saved their extra bases and had one that you needed.

When I retrofit family member's cars and the boat we are working on I would just rather order the ones I need. Good idea though.
blktbon20s

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:35 pm

nice to see a fellow NYer....
BTW really like how it looks..might do it on my girls stang
dcemureviews

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:53 pm

kornholio788 wrote:
dcemureviews wrote:
kornholio788 wrote:
dcemureviews wrote:

Lol. Dude I was joking. I know how a refrigerator works hahahaha.

Was supposed to be a joke. Obviously you missed it.

HAHAHA, I guess I did. Staring at a monitor for 10+ hours gets to you.
Tat2Dragons

Post Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm

TRogers wrote:
A-Ray wrote:
TRogers wrote:

When I retrofit family member's cars and the boat we are working on I would just rather order the ones I need. Good idea though.

Here you go Tony. icon_smile.gif

http://autolumination.com/connectors.htm

Just scroll down to about the middle of the page,theres all kinds of connectors/bases and such. icon_wink.gif
TRogers

Post Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:49 am

Thanks Tat2!

The OP ignored my question. biglaugh.gif
Tat2Dragons

Post Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:54 am

TRogers wrote:
Thanks Tat2!

Your quite welcome Tony. icon_smile.gif
dcemureviews

Post Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:45 am

TRogers wrote:
Thanks Tat2!

Sorry, didnt see it.
The time now is Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:40 am
Page 1 of 1