Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Can HID (36W) melt after-market projector lights?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:03 pm

So I bought a conversion kit
Slim ballasts (x4), with 2 9005 and 2 9006 bulbs, all in 6000K for my stock headlights.

I've been reading about glare, and want to be polite. So I read several places that projector type headlights produce much less side-glare.

So there's lots of cool looking projector headlights for my new 2008 NISSAN TITAN...But of course, if I switch over, I'll have to go purchase H1 burners all around.

So I found some projector types on ebay, and around the web, but some of the sellers say to NOT use HID due to heat damage.

If an H1 is normally 55W in that little compartment, and my new HID bulbs are only burning 36W - how is it possible for them to make the inside of the headlight hotter than a halogen H1?

Q: am I on the right track?
Q: do all or most after-market projector headlights use glass (v plastic) focusing lenses?
Q: the guy who sold me the converter kit (in Canada) said that he supplied genuine Philips burners. I've looked and cannot find the mfgr's name anywhere - how can I tell if they're Philips? Should I care?
Q: If I buy H1's on the Internets, are there crappy bulbs out there (wrong capsule distance/focus point, not centered properly in the mounting, etc.)? How can I tell before ordering?
Q: If I change color temp, as long as it's a 34-36W HID bulb, the same ballast works, right?

Thanks for any info
Ryan88

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:58 pm

My friend has hids in his plastic ebay halogen projectors. they do the job. granted the cut off line isn't like an Acura, still looks good.
comfortable

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:19 pm

Thanks - am I on the right track with this? D'you think some cheapies would melt? (Plastic projector lenses and the like)

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Ryan88

Post Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:45 pm

His ebay/chinese projectors says halogen only, but he never had a problem with his ebay/chinese HIDs in them.
Black DX

Post Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:06 pm

H1 projectors have better output and cut offs than H3's (I know I've got H3's and with out hid pnp they might as well be off)....

I've been running hid pnp's in my housings for two years and I've not seen any damage but with out taking them apart it's hard to say. I'm also using H3C hid bulbs which don't have the uv shield glass covering so my projectors will be taking more of a beating than the normal hid pnp bulb...
02BlueStang

Post Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:26 pm

I doubt it will be an issue, but if you feel that heat is a problem drill a hole in the back of the headlight housings to ventilate the area.
Radioflyer

Post Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:26 pm

Q: am I on the right track?
A: yes.

Q: do all or most after-market projector headlights use glass (v plastic) focusing lenses?
A: most OEM projectors use glass lenses. Some of the less expensive asian imports use lesser quality projector optics

Q: the guy who sold me the converter kit (in Canada) said that he supplied genuine Philips burners. I've looked and cannot find the mfgr's name anywhere - how can I tell if they're Philips? Should I care?
A: Phillips bulbs (and related equipment) are identified by their part numbers (for bulbs these will be on the side of the base) They have a quick warm up time (about 2-3 seconds compared to most aftermarket kits (8-12 seconds) and the bulbs resist "color shift".

Q: If I buy H1's on the Internets, are there crappy bulbs out there (wrong capsule distance/focus point, not centered properly in the mounting, etc.)? How can I tell before ordering?
A: Focal points for H1 are usually rather close to halogen bulb. (see here for pic: ) If it's not satisfactory, you can alter the depth with bulb spacing from the mounting point.

Q: If I change color temp, as long as it's a 34-36W HID bulb, the same ballast works, right?
A: Yes
comfortable

Post Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:59 pm

Thank you everyone (esp Radioflyer).

Very helpful.

I'm running these now in the stock headlights, and went on two night trips.

The light is awesome, and no oncoming drivers complained (no one flashed at me to dim them when I was already dimmed).

I've got 6000K for both Hi and Low beams. The lows let me see much more than before, but the Highs kick ass!

It does seem, however that there's slight radio interference. The low FM band (88MH/89MHz), I can no longer get weaker stations, only strong ones. No discernable effects on AM bands. I'm going to try some RF filtering on the harness around the ballasts (I'm an electronics engineer)....unless someone else on the forum knows of a better approach, I'm thinking clamshell ferrite beads.

Thanks again, everyone.
Radioflyer

Post Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:12 pm

oooooo RF amplification.

What do you reccomend to pull in weaker AM stations?
SickWitIt

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:57 am

comfortable wrote:
Thank you everyone (esp Radioflyer).

Very helpful.

I'm running these now in the stock headlights, and went on two night trips.

The light is awesome, and no oncoming drivers complained (no one flashed at me to dim them when I was already dimmed).

I've got 6000K for both Hi and Low beams. The lows let me see much more than before, but the Highs kick ass!

It does seem, however that there's slight radio interference. The low FM band (88MH/89MHz), I can no longer get weaker stations, only strong ones. No discernable effects on AM bands. I'm going to try some RF filtering on the harness around the ballasts (I'm an electronics engineer)....unless someone else on the forum knows of a better approach, I'm thinking clamshell ferrite beads.

Thanks again, everyone.

You're a smart dude. Welcome to Oznium.
Radioflyer

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:25 am

update: i have some numbers for you:

halogen bulbs typically have a surface temp of 500-900 deg F
the phillips 85122+ HID bulb has a max surface temp of nearly 1300 deg F

The difference is that the HID bulb has a larger surface area and a smaller heat source. Even though it's a hotter bulb, it radiates it's heat more effeciently than a halogen bulb. This being said, if a housing can withstand a 55w halogen bulb, a 35w or even 55w HID should be no problem.
The time now is Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:48 pm
Page 1 of 1