Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Help Installing more than one LED strip

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Hello all.

So yeah i have recently discovered how interesting LEDs make your car look. So i haven't purchased anything yet, mainly because i don't know what i should get, i know most of the stuff i can get on this website, but what i want to do is hook a couple of strip of LEDs to my car, mainly where my feet and the passenger's feet are, and in the grill of my 2003 dodge stratus.

Now i have learned how to install one strip to a rocker switch, you just run a wire from your battery to one prong, and one wire from your LED strip to the other prong and ground the positive wire from the LED. the problem is that i want to get more than one strip and i have no idea how i should hook that up.

So the real question is how do i hook up more then one strip to one switch?

Thanks to all in advance

-Kieffer
PwrRngr

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:50 pm

Battery wire to one prong of the switch. Other prong of the switch to the positive of BOTH LED strips. Then you ground the LED strips and switch to the most convenient place.
corvettecrazy

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:39 pm

Please don't forget to use a fuse.
02BlueStang

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:27 pm

for your footwells (under driver side and under passenger side) you are going to need:

-1 switch (lighted or not, your choice)
-18 guage wire about 6 feet or so....doesn't hurt to buy a little extra depending on where you are running the wires
-2 9.5 inch flex strips...or one size up depending on footwell
-fuse holder with 2.5A fuse or an Add A Circuit to use the fuse box, or splice into factory wiring using a "T" Tap such as power from the cigarette lighter

If you have a lighted switch you will have 3 wires from the back of it. 2 are power and 1 is ground (Red's will be power, Black is ground)

If the switch is not lighted then you will have 2 wires...1 power and 1 ground.

For lighted switch run 1 power wire to your fuse and splice the wires together with crimp connectors and electrical tape or solder...I find crimping easier and more secure. Wrap connection with electrical tape.

If using an adda circuit simply unplug a fuse with same amperage and plug in add a circuit or choose a location that is not in use.

With the other power wire from the switch use your 18 guage wire to run a power wire to the first LED strip under your footwell. Crimp the power wire to the power wire of the LED strip and wrap with electrical tape....use zip ties to hide the wires and mount the LED strip up under the footwell.

Take the negative wire frome the LED strip (each strip has 2 wires, 1 power and 1 ground) and crimp on a terminal connector etc and attach to nearest metal screw under the dash to complete the circuit.

Splice into the power wire (18 guage) that you ran off the switch for the first LED strip and run this power wire over to your passenger footwell. Easiest way is behind the dash or under the carpet.

Crimp the power wires from the second LED strip to this power wire and then ground the LED strip to nearest screw after attaching a terminal connector.

Drill hole in dash or other location to mount the switch inside the vehicle.

Make sure to use electrical tape on all connections and make sure you use a fuse if you choose to do it a different way.

As for the grill of the other vehicle. Same principles apply but you can draw power direction from the battery by using 18 guage wire and a terminal connector to attach the power wire to the power of the battery terminal. Run wire to LED strip and crimp together and wrap with electrical tape to waterproof. Then crimp on a terminal connector to negative of LED strip and ground to nearest screw to complete the circuit and power the LED strip....for a power switch simply connect one between the possitive of the battery and the LED strips power wire....dont forget to add a fuse about 8-12" from the battery on the power wire to prevent fire.
Kieffer89

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:13 am

hmm sounds easy enough, ill try this out guys and ill let you know if i have any problems. it sounds easier to just get an add a fuse and go from there rather than going through the hassel of the battery. I have another question, could i connect all the power wires coming from each of the LED strip to a relay, and then hook the relay up to the switch so the switch controls all of the lights, or no?
H-Town

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:52 am

you don't need a relay to control everything with a switch.
Kieffer89

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:32 pm

So your saying if i wanted all of my LED strip to light up with one switch, i wouldn't need a relay, and that i should just splice all the power wires together and run that same power wire to the switch?
H-Town

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:45 pm

Yes, that would work. Just make sure you use a fuse.
Kieffer89

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:54 pm

ok, sounds good, ill just get an in line fuse or something like that. ill let you guys know how it goes and if i have any more questions

-Kieffer
H-Town

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:16 pm

post pics of the finished project!
Kieffer89

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:14 am

Ok one more quick and relatively easy question...I'm debating whether to get white LEDS for the front grille, or Ultraviolet LEDs. I already know im getting green for the foot wells on the interior, but i figured the outside is the part that's going to be more visible so, any recommendations?? the color of my Stratus is a deep sapphire blue
H-Town

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:35 am

i would go with the white.
Kieffer89

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:17 am

Thats what i wanted to go with originally, but i found out that Oznium was out of stock icon_sad.gif how long do i have to wait for them to restock their...stock lol.
H-Town

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:21 am

https://www.oznium.com/contact

that would be your best bet, ive used it a couple times regarding things i have ordered and they responded within a couple hours.
Kieffer89

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:37 am

Alright cool, and one more thing...lol. i wont be able to ground all the LED strips all to the same place wont i? or is it more...i don't know "safer" to ground them all to separate places?? oh and don't worry ill place some pics up after im done, im quite the procrastinator though lol
H-Town

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:55 am

You will be fine if you ground them all to the same spot, just make sure it is a good connection.

Last edited by H-Town on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total
PwrRngr

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:58 am

Ground them wherever you want as long as it's a good connection to the frame. They can all be grounded in the same place or separate places. Do whatever is convenient for you.
Kieffer89

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:27 pm

OK. Alright so what i did, i just ordered this off of Oznium, i know you guys said that i might not need it, but i got it anyways just to make things a little more cleaner, i got the wire harness and the relay to hook up the 4 power wires coming from the LED's. Now questions regarding that relay, the 4 wires go in and one wire comes out, am i right? if so, what kind of wire should i use for that one wire coming out and running to the switch...just some more 18 Gauge? i also got about 10 ft of 18 gauge wire, and i got one of those round lighted switches as well, noting how i have to ground a wire from that as well for the LED in the switch itself.
H-Town

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:10 pm

18 gauge will be fine.
02BlueStang

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:12 pm

18 guage will do you just fine.....if you ever have a question regarding wire size (gauge) or what type of fuse to use there is an post in the installation section I believe that is stickied at the top...

It shows all the amperages of the products Oznium sells as well as what the max load is for each size of wire icon_wink.gif
Kieffer89

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:58 pm

Hey dudes, alright so i just received my "add-a-fuse" from amazon.com. Look easy to use, i just have a few questions regarding it. I know that it basically replaces a fuse in your fuse box, and then you plug that fuse that you removed into the actual add-a-fuse, but there's one more opening for a fuse on the box, is that for the fuse for my power lines? and another question, where should i plug it in, like...which slot should i plug my add-a-fuse in, radio? or what, or is there a vacant space that im allowed to plug it in. heres a link to the add a fuse

H-Town

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:00 pm

Don't replace an existing fuse, use an open spot in your fuse box.
02BlueStang

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:47 pm

H-Town wrote:
Don't replace an existing fuse, use an open spot in your fuse box.

x2....just pick an open slot on your fuse box and use that as a power source....you should have a wire coming out of the add a circuit (or fuse) and that is your power wire for all your LED flex strips.
mtndv8

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:42 am

Also for future reference: Whether or not to use a relay would be a choice in how you want your power to run. Meaning if you want power to run from your battery/alternator/power supply to your switch, to your light, to ground. Than a realy is not really (lol) needed. It's the simplest of ways to hook up low voltage circuits.
A relay comes in handy when you want the control voltage to be different from the light power/voltage. Basically it allows you to separate the two, one power source (low voltage, usually) controls the realy on/off. Another power source (higher voltage, as for HID headlghts) is turned on by the relay to power your lights (or whatever...)
In a nutshell, a relay keep you from having to run full power through the switch...

HTH
Aloha
Kieffer89

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:54 pm

Alright guys its me again

Well i now have everyhting to start my project finally, i just want to run this through you guys once more just so i get things straight.
This is all going to be in a nutshell basically, I got my add a circuit(fuse) and im going to plug it into an open slot, or an already occupied slot if there isn't any open ones. Then im going to run the wire coming out of it to my LED switch. Next im going to take the power wire coming from the switch and run it to all of my LED flex strips using my 18 gauge. Next im going to ground all of the LED's INCLUDING my switch seeing as though there is an LED in that as well. It seems pretty easy enough.
madmike05

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:31 pm

kieffer, that is all correct. however if you want to run all of your grounds to the switch and just ground the one switch you can do that too. if not you sound like your ready to install.
02BlueStang

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:49 pm

madmike05 wrote:
kieffer, that is all correct. however if you want to run all of your grounds to the switch and just ground the one switch you can do that too. if not you sound like your ready to install.

Good input but I think he most likely has already installed looking at the date of his last post.

Welcome to Oznium and keep posting your input for installs etc it is always appreciated icon_cool.gif
jdScion06

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:23 am

Hey everyone,

newbie here! Just got a "new" 2006 Scion tC, Flint Mica, 20K miles. I got some 9.5" flex LEDs that I am going to install in the front footwells. I was reading this and it all seems pretty easy I just would like a clarification:

For grounding the two LED's - is it true I can run the negative wires to the switch, and then only ground the switch? I cannot picture how this would work..negative wire from LED1, LED2, and ground all meeting at the switch negative connection?

Second, related question - how do I go about removing the blanks from the dash to install the rocker switch? I have read through this board and have been unable to find anyone explaining this process.

Thanks guys, I look forward to learning a lot on this board!
Cooper

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:27 am

Typically blanks will have a tab on each side that 'hooks' them in . You'll need to get a hand behind the dash, feel for the dabs, pinch them together toward the center, and then push the blank outward, and it'll pop right out . Some come out with almost no effort while others are a bit more frustrating .
Here are some bad pictures courtesy of Google to demonstrate .

PwrRngr

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:05 am

jdScion06 wrote:
For grounding the two LED's - is it true I can run the negative wires to the switch, and then only ground the switch? I cannot picture how this would work..negative wire from LED1, LED2, and ground all meeting at the switch negative connection?

Yes you can run your LED negatives to the switch and then to ground but it's not necessary. You can ground the LEDs and switch to any bolt/screw that connects to bare metal. This can be the same bolt/screw or different ones, it doesn't matter. As long as it's a good clean ground.
jdScion06

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:35 am

Thanks for the input everyone! I am going to take a look at those tabs this afternoon, and hopefully install the LEDs Friday. As long as it goes well, this will only be step 1...
jdScion06

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:15 pm

I couldn't wait until Friday - did the install today! had to use a dummy rocker switch since my real one hasn't come in yet - but switching that will take 2 seconds when I get it.

Everything went well and the lights are in and working in the footwell! Thanks for all of your help.
Kieffer89

Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:28 am

lol, this is a message to everyone that thought i had installed them by now....i haven't yet lol, you see, im a bit of a procrastinator, and hardly have any time off to do anything, other than taking care of my car im usually gaming lol, but don't worry dudes, i will def post some pics of the finished project, which will be relativity soon, i promise
kxnguyen2007

Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:56 am

what led strip you bought and what kind of fuse do you use?
JSewell

Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:20 am

theres like 3 kids sharing this one thread ha
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 6:40 am
Page 1 of 1