Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

How to wire up LED's?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:23 pm

Hey. Sorry if the topic was misleading. However, I know the FORMAT to run LED lights in my car (using resistors, hooking up to switches, the battery, etc). The problem, though, is that I don't know how to hook the LEDs up to electrical wire so that I can position them in my car. I know I'm supposed to solder them to their resisters (Which I'm taking the lazy way out and using electrical tape!), but I don't know how to attach them to electrical wire.

Does that make any sense? Can someone please help me out? THANKS!
SuBXeRo

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:41 pm

umm no not really. dont be lazy with this stuff, the quality is well worth it. trust me soldering it will make a difference and it will last longer. which eletrical wires are u talking about.
corvettecrazy

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:43 pm

well if you are too lazy to solder them than atleast use those butt connector things.
steven_mckenz

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:44 pm

I mean the wire used to actually connect the LED (LEDs) to the fuse box for power. Obviously I'm not having the LED stick out of the fuse box. I'm going to have a pattern of them under my dash, and I need electrical wire (16 AWG I think) to connect them all and connect them to the power and ground.
corvettecrazy

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:47 pm

16ga is kinda big for 1 LED. I might try 18 or 20. (I have 18 LEDS hooked up through 2 24ga wires and they work fine)

it you want to continue your way then make a hook out of the wire and a hook in the LED piece and hook them together and then either wrap them around each other or squeeze the hooks tight with pliers.
SuBXeRo

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:10 pm

well i wouldnt put it through ur fuse box, then u start messing with ur systems, if sumthing goes wrong, then ur ****. run new wires, leds arent really worth fusing in my eyes, use like 22 gauge wires to hook up the leds. try and solder them
steven_mckenz

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:25 pm

I'm not worried about going through a fuse box. I can't really screw anything up that way. I'm just using a spade that slides underneath the fuse that's in it already. All that could happen at the MOST is that I blow all my LED lights.

As for whoever gave me the advice, thanks for telling me how to connect the led to the wire. So If I just make a U for both the LED (probably soldered to the resister icon_biggrin.gif ) and the wire (probably have to go get a bigger AWG) and then electrical tape them together, that will work?

Thanks for the advice!
dbismyname

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:13 pm

steven_mckenz wrote:
All that could happen at the MOST is that I blow all my LED lights.

wanna bet?? my buddy wired up his that way and he burned every single wire that comes out of the back of the fuse box. truck wouldnt start nothin would light up. everything was gone. icon_eek.gif all for a few neons. trust me run it to the battery. also everything is worth fusing. put an inline on it unless you like your car on fire icon_biggrin.gif
Goph

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:11 pm

don't be lazy. I wired up a led in my trunk with just tapping the wire on and it pulled out and hit some metal, there went the fuse.
BlueShark

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:15 am

If i may help Steven, if you don't like soldering (which is the first choice), you can get something that i've used a lot: it is a plastic tubing (with a copper tube inside to conduct current) with 1 small screw on each side to hold the wire together, this way the wires are connected securely with no soldering nor electrical tape. Electrical store sells it in strip like 8 of them together, so cut what you need, they are call (i think), connection strips and come in various size (20awg, 16awg....... to 2awg).

I can see you a picture of you like to have an idea, this is a great stuffs to use.
pOrk

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:56 am

I still dont understand why you are using the fusebox to wire LED's. Sounds unsafe thats for sure.

Go to AutoZone of Checker and buy an accessory fuse box if you want to sue a fuse box. Then you can wire THAT to your battery and use it for several aplications.
steven_mckenz

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:33 am

I'm using the fusebox because I don't want to drill a hole through the firewall and connect to the battery. Honestly, I don't see how it can be that big of a problem tapping into a fusebox. Two other friends of mine are doing the same thing and for two years we haven't had a problem. What we do is just buy an inline fuse holder and connect that to the wire that goes into the fusebox.

I guess maybe I'm just missing the problem of tapping into the fusebox. All I know is that I like how it looks icon_biggrin.gif . I'm such a n00b though icon_sad.gif .
Aken

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:19 am

steven_mckenz wrote:
I guess maybe I'm just missing the problem of tapping into the fusebox.

Quote:
I'm such a n00b though icon_sad.gif .

Problem solved!
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:59 am

it isn't a problem tapping into the fusebox from an electrical standpoint. but, if any other elecrical problem just happens to occur in your car, then you're SOL becuase the dealership will be like "you tapped into the fusebox, that's why your radio spontaneously combusted" and won't even try to help you.
TypeRBass

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:57 pm

Aken wrote:
steven_mckenz wrote:
I guess maybe I'm just missing the problem of tapping into the fusebox.

Quote:
I'm such a n00b though icon_sad.gif .

Problem solved!

aha it has been said many times as i read this topic...DONT RUN STUFF OFF OF THE FUSEBOX! its bad...i hope your car starts on fire now because your blowing off everything everyone says saying your right and their wrong. so buzz off. icon_smile.gif
DragonJeep

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:13 pm

I have quite a few things tapped into my fuse panel. 3 years and still no probs (indiglo gauges, cathodes, and LED scanner)
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:26 pm

as i said... it won't cause a problem. numbers wise and electrically, there's no problem with it. but IF anything ELSE were to happen... say a random short in the radio wiring harness, and your radio blew up, they'd simply blame it on tapping into the fusebox. they're definitely wrong, and it took me a 4 page wrightup on the car's electrical system, and the bench testing and loads of the 2 neons i had in my car. on top of that, i went to 2 car audio shops as proof.

took me 2 months to prove to them that the 2 neons i had on the cigarette lighter fuse had nothing to do with my headlight wiring harness frying. 2 months!!.

if i didn't know how to rig up the headlight's myself to work on a toggle... i'd be SOL for driving my car.

I knew it was ok, they didn't know jack, i had to prove it to them that the neons had nothing to do with the harness frying. they're mechanics at the dealer, not electricians. the only thing they learn to do is replace harnesses (a mechanical job for the install) they know nothing about how the elecrical system works. the harness for my healights was attached to the car's master harness and was $800.

so it's your call..
steven_mckenz

Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:41 pm

AKEN, what the hell is your problem? I'm not here to start an argument.

I've been hearing it from BOTH sides of the spectrum that I can use the fusebox and I can't. All I've heard about not being able to use the fusebox is that I will get blamed if something goes wrong on my car, even though it WASN'T my fault. Therefore, it seems to me like it's perfectly fine to tap in the fusebox.

I think I will continue to do that. I haven't had any problems, and neither have my friends, and obviously neither have some of the users of this board had any problems.

I honestly don't think that running 15 LEDs TOPS out of a fusebox will kill anything.

I'm hooking up an amplifier here soon as well, but yes, I am smart enough to run that directly from the battery. As for the LEDs though, they're going through the fusebox. As long as I run an inline fuse, I'm not worried.
Brandon

Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:34 pm

it's looked on as the "ghetto" way to do things. If you want to wire up neons/LED's correctly (which is recommended!!), we are all going to tell you to grab a lil piece of 10awg power wire, and bring it through your engine bay. That will give you more than enough power for any future neons as well.
There are a lot of things you can do when wiring a car that may seem to work 9/10 times but it may not be the correct or best approach at things. We're just trying to help
steven_mckenz

Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:08 pm

I don't have much of a problem wiring it straight from the battery. However, I'm EXTREMELY leery about drilling through my firewall. I just don't really like having to do that. I did that for my friend's amplifier, but we just drilled right next to the hood-release button. However, in my car (1996 Mercury Sable), I can't seem to find where the buttton goes through the firewall. Unless someone can give me an easier way to do that, I'm scared to run directly through the firewall!
Th0_0ne

Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:43 pm

Right under the driver's dash, you should see something that looks like a diamond shape. It is cover with like grommet or some kind of mushy thing. You should be able to recognize it because I think there's already cuts made and all u have to do is rip that out and drill the holes. If u pop ur hood, look on the back far right side and you should see it. Knock on it before you want to drill holes just to make sure. There's a good site that helps explain it on yahoo but I forgot the site. Try searching for "Drilling holes in firewall." GL
Brandon

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:52 am

what I usually do for small wires so that I don't have to drill. Look for interrior fuse block that you want to tap in to... but instead of taping in, follow the wires that go behind it. They should go through a gromet in the firewall. Take a sharp object (I've used screw drivers and metal hangers) and poke through the gromet. Feed the wire through... may have to tape it to the tool...

It's pretty easy, but can be a hassle some times. But it's better than tapping in to a fuse block IMO
Optika1 illushun

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:57 pm

i have used the fusebox for my previous neon installs without a problem. i just used an empty fuse slot. then i woke up and bought an accessory fuse pane from JC whit. its pretty nice w/ 6 in/outputs.

also, bout drilling through the firewall, u can always use the same hole for the amp power wire. make sure u fuse everything with an electrical draw with a fuse no more then 18" from the battery and use groumets when running wire through a hole in metal. also wire loom is a good idea and obviously keep the wires away from moving/hot parts.
The time now is Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:17 pm
Page 1 of 1